PDA

View Full Version : rear hitch reciever weight carry capacity

villui
02-22-2014, 06:50 PM
My 301BQ has a factory installed receiver hitch in rear. I want to hook up a bike rack for 2 adult bikes. I've read mixed reviews about using the receiver. My question is -- if we're not suppose to use it, then why did keystone put it on? What purpose does it serve? When I called my dealer I was told to contact Keystone. I plan on calling Keystone rep to see what they say.
Any advice?

ksbowman
02-22-2014, 08:15 PM
I have a receiver hitch on my Outback and carry two bikes without any problem, just have to bungy cord them to stop any bounce. It also carries a carrier and plastic carry box very well and lets me take along extras in it.

Ken / Claudia
02-23-2014, 12:32 AM
Is this a new trailer, did you get the manuals.

villui
02-23-2014, 07:23 AM
I bought it new in 2012. None of the documents/basic keystone manual specifies anything about it. Another member said it's rated for 250lbs and another recommended not to out anything there. On the fence here.

Festus2
02-23-2014, 07:36 AM
villui -
If the receiver hitch is securely attached; that is, welded /bolted to the frame and not to the bumper, you should be ok to insert a bike rack into the receiver.

villui
02-23-2014, 09:21 AM
I'll check again when we can but I'm certain it's welded and bolted to frame. Thanks.

Ken / Claudia
02-23-2014, 10:41 AM
If there was nothing in the manual, nothing printed on a sticker or into the metal of the hitch for weight ratings. I would attempt a phone call to keystone and get what they claim is the max. wt.

Bob Landry
02-23-2014, 03:27 PM
I called and asked about the one that came on my Outback and was told 200#. It was bolted but not welded to the frame. I think you would be OK with a bike rack and a couple of bikes, but a receiver carrier loaded with a generator and other stuff is a different matter. I think you are going to have more than 200# of force on that hitch when everything starts bouncing. I removed mine and had a cross support of tube steel and some serious reinforcing of the rear bumper done. I have an aluminum diamond tread box on the rear, but the brunt of the weight is sitting on the bumper and not acting like a lever bouncing up and down.