PDA

View Full Version : RV cover with slide-out open?

Firecapt
10-27-2010, 09:28 AM
I need to start using a cover for our 5er during at least the winter months (not in use). My wife likes to use it for a classroom for our home-schooled son while it is sitting in the driveway so we need to have the living room slide out, since there is no access in the interior when it's in.

Does anyone know of a cover that will allow me to cover the unit but have the slide in the out position? Maybe something could be put together from scratch rather than a commercially made RV cover?

Bowline
10-27-2010, 03:17 PM
All of the commercially available covers I know about will not cover a slide in the out position. You could probably have a custom cover made, but it will cost you plenty. A word of caution about covers. I purchased a Tyvek cover with polyethylene sides for about $360. It lasted a short time before it ripped end-to-end in a moderate (< 20 mph.) breeze. I had it fixed, and it ripped again about three weeks later, again due to a moderate breeze. Bottom line is that the cover was a complete waste of money. The warranties completely exclude wind damage. If you want a decent cover, have one made of 100% Tyvek, Sunbrella, or similar material. Stay away from the non-woven polyethylene quasi paper towel - like material that most of them feature.

Good Luck!!

chuckretnav
11-10-2010, 05:00 AM
Hi Im not familr with all the different materials out in the world. But here is one area you may search is the Trucking world. I'm a retired driver and I never got into flatbeds or oversize loads but I know they use all different size and different designed tarps and covers. Try searching that area. If the truck can do 60 or 70 down the road with a tarp guess a little breeze in your front yard wont hurt it. But get ready to pay. But at least look into it.:D

Firecapt
11-10-2010, 11:10 AM
Thanks to another forum, I got the suggestion to check with:

http://www.calmarkcovers.com/ :D

They will make whatever you want in the way of a cover with zippers, extra material, etc. This is, of course, somewhat pricey. :eek: