PDA

View Full Version : Slider or no slider?

aksilvy1
02-22-2014, 12:00 PM
Good day fellas, first post here. In the process of buying a 2014 impact 311 5th wheel.

My truck is a 2012 silverado 2500hd with a 6 1/2 foot bed. Basically I have the dealer telling me I don't need a slider because the way the new front caps are designed I should not need one for a short bed.

The guys I am looking at getting a hitch from are recommending a slider.

Hitches I am looking at are the B&W turnover ball and the R16 Reese.

Looking forward to reading a lot more on here and learning about RV's since this is my first one. Thanks!

Festus2
02-22-2014, 12:55 PM
aksilvy1 -
We haul an '08 Cougar that has the recessed front caps with a short box GMC. The slider can be manually moved into the maneuvering position if we were in a tight situation but haven't needed to do that up to now - 5years of using it.

If I find myself having to make a really tight turn in a campsite, my wife gets out of the truck and keeps an eye on the front of the 5th wheel and the back window of the truck. Haven't heard any screams coming from her yet.

Oh yes, welcome to the forum!

BigBearWV
02-22-2014, 01:59 PM
My dealer would not put in anything but a slider (liability issue they said it was not a $ issue they gave me my pick of hitches in the deal). I have the B&W turn over slider. Just a warning no way around it takes 2 people to get it in and out! I did however use my ATV winch and a snatch block from my garage rafters to get it out of the truck bed last time. Maybe it will go back in that same way next month when I put it back in.

aksilvy1
02-22-2014, 02:29 PM
It kinda sounds like I might be able to get by without it but would be nice to have just in case. I live in Kodiak Alaska so there are a lot of tight places

gearhead
02-22-2014, 06:06 PM
Last year I pulled the 28sgs with a 6 1/2 ft bed and never was in a position to need a slider. I traded that truck for a F350 that has a B&W turnover ball. I bought the Curt rails that fit in the B&W "socket". I think I will like it. It leaves my truck bed clean when I remove the hitch.
I would go with the B&W turnover ball for sure. If you think you will need the slider, I would talk to Pull Rite and see if they have a conversion to the B&W socket.

aksilvy1
02-23-2014, 06:50 PM
After doing some research I think I'm gonna go with the B&W turnover ball with 5th wheel attachment without the slider.

BigBearWV
02-23-2014, 06:57 PM
Probably a good choice I have a buddy that has the non slide version and he manages to get it in and out alone!

gearhead
02-24-2014, 03:08 PM
After doing some research I think I'm gonna go with the B&W turnover ball with 5th wheel attachment without the slider.

Great choice. I bought a Harbor Freight shop crane/engine puller to lift my generator and hitch into and out of the truck.
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-capacity-foldable-shop-crane-69512.html

theeyres
02-24-2014, 07:54 PM
I had a slider with a short bed and fiver three or four rigs back. I never used it. Not once.

Charli
03-01-2014, 09:11 PM
Interesting story on the age old question.
Were at the Minneapolis RV show and talking to a Columbus salesman. He had a 320 and said he didn't have a slider and had no problems. Then a parts guy came over and after a brief discussion he said that we definitely needed a slider. The salesman was standing right there but didn't say anything.
Information from RV dealerships are coloured by profit motivations and info on these forums are coloured by personal experience. I'd believe the later before the former.
We ended up buying a Mountaineer and are getting a Reese non-slider hitch with Airborne Sidewinder combo. As many have said on these forums, may not the extra clearance but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Vet4jdc
03-02-2014, 02:23 PM
We purchased a new Mountaineer last year and dealt with the same question. I asked about 10 different people and never got the same answer. We ended up buying a Reese slider and used it all last year. I never used the slide feature once. I sold my sliding hitch yesterday and just ordered a new Pullrite Super Fifth with no slide. BTW....I have a Super Duty F250 with the 6 1/2 foot bed.

JRTJH
03-02-2014, 05:22 PM
We purchased a new Mountaineer last year and dealt with the same question. I asked about 10 different people and never got the same answer. We ended up buying a Reese slider and used it all last year. I never used the slide feature once. I sold my sliding hitch yesterday and just ordered a new Pullrite Super Fifth with no slide. BTW....I have a Super Duty F250 with the 6 1/2 foot bed.

I am seeing and hearing your comments more and more. As people buy new fifth wheels with the "cut-away" front caps, the need for sliding hitches is decreased dramatically. I bought a F250 with the 8' bed because I didn't want a sliding hitch. After using it and after hitching my trailer to a friend's 6.5' bed, I realized that I could turn almost as far with my hitch in his short bed as I can in my long bed. I could easily turn tight enough to get into any place I'd be willing to back my fifth wheel. With a long bed, the limitation actually becomes the side of the truck bed, not the front cap and the truck cab.

What many people fail to realize about backing any RV is that you can jack-knife a conventional travel trailer at about 45* which is much less of an angle than you can achieve with a fifth wheel in a short bed truck. Essentially, a short bed fifth wheel combination is realistically more maneuverable than a conventional travel trailer combo.

On my old conventional front cap fifth wheel with a short bed/non sliding hitch I could easily achieve angles of 70* or more with no fear of coming close to the cab. Realistically, the potential for damage (in my opinion) is greater to the suspension than to the cap or truck. Once the suspension starts sliding sideways at an angle of 70 to 90 degrees, the side sheer to the tires and spring assemblies is far past my "comfort level".....I guess I visualize twisting a tire off a wheel or bending a spindle before I hit the cab with the front cap.

aksilvy1
03-02-2014, 10:36 PM
Thanks for all the insight everybody, good to hear people's experiences.

According to the manufacturer (Keystone) I don't need one because I will be able to turn 88 degrees. According to the dealer selling my Impact 311, I would be able to turn all the way to 120 degrees if I had to (not recommended). According to the dealer selling me the 5th wheel hitch, I need a slider.

Not going with the slider based on the research I've done so far, and hopefully I won't get in to a situation where I will need it.

Next step air bags, rock guards, ext fuel tank, etc...

This is getting expensive.

Barbell
03-08-2014, 04:06 PM
Whatever you decide, stay away from Reese as the company that now owns them will NOT stand behind their product.

JRTJH
03-08-2014, 04:35 PM
Whatever you decide, stay away from Reese as the company that now owns them will NOT stand behind their product.

Could you please explain the circumstances in your comment? There are a number of people who own and use Reese products regularly and this is the first comment I've heard about them not honoring their warranty or working with customers who have a problem with their products. More information would certainly be appreciated.

Thanks

C130
03-12-2014, 09:07 AM
I have a 2011 F250 with a Pullrite Superglide and pull a 2011 Fuzion 322TE. Personally, I wouldn't go without the slider hitch on a short bed but maybe the front of the new 5th wheels are different. Mine does have a cut out but not sure how it compares to the newer ones. I use a bed cover that folds up which also causes me to lose about 5-6 inches as it folds up against the back window of my truck. That's probably my biggest issue and I got within an inch or less Saturday backing it in. Of course without the bed cover I would have had plenty of room. Just something to consider for those with a bedcover such as a Bakflip that folds up.

Pmedic4
03-12-2014, 12:10 PM
In our case, when we bought over a year ago for our 6 1/2 bed the salesman was very specific that we didn't need a slider. I spent a great deal of time with the Service and parts department, and the service guy and I discussed the different brands/models of hitches, and he recommended the PullRite over the others, based on the it being a Single Jaw type, versus a Double Jaw or Slider bar latch. He never did try to push me to a slider hitch.

I don't have the depth of experience most of the people here do, but did have several times this year where I had to go at least 75 degrees backing into spots in small campgrounds, and didn't experience a problem.

Plus, I felt it was much easier backing the 30' 5ver over a 24' TT.

caroljg
04-18-2014, 04:09 PM
I am in the process of researching whether I need a slider or not. And if I can get away without it what are my options.
I have (please don't crucify me) a 2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7L V8 with airbags, and have the camper but no hitch yet. Camping World (where I purchased the rig) insists that I need the Pullrite 2700 ISR Superglide, however another place says that I do not need the slider and will put in a Curt hitch for much less.......
I do not mind spending the extra $$ if it is necessary, however do not want to get one just to support the profit margin at Camping World.

Will welcome your thoughts.

Thanks

Carol

Hoojs12840
04-18-2014, 05:33 PM
I have a 2013 GMC with a 6.5 bed. My Cougar 5th wheel will turn 85deg without hitting using the standard Reese 16k. I do have the manual slide option, but have yet to use it. Having just completed a 2600 miles from MD to Key Largo and back. Stopping in truckstops, parking lots, shopping centers and attractions without any issue. I would get a slider just in case, not having something when you need it is the worst scenerio.I would imagine a Reese 12k with manual slider would be marginally more expensive then a fixed hitch.

What kind if 5th wheel do you have? That can help make a choice.

Festus2
04-18-2014, 06:13 PM
Caroljg -
I have a GMC shortbox with a manual slide option as well. So far, I have not yet had to move it back to the maneuvering position but I can if I found myself in a tight spot. The front recessed curvature of our Cougar 5th wheel enables turns that are fairly tight.
If the dimensions of the Toyota's box and position of the hitch in the bed are similar to our GMC shortbox, I can't see the need for the Pullrite Superglide but folks who have it are very pleased with its performance.

JRTJH
04-18-2014, 08:42 PM
I am in the process of researching whether I need a slider or not. And if I can get away without it what are my options.
I have (please don't crucify me) a 2012 Toyota Tundra 5.7L V8 with airbags, and have the camper but no hitch yet. Camping World (where I purchased the rig) insists that I need the Pullrite 2700 ISR Superglide, however another place says that I do not need the slider and will put in a Curt hitch for much less.......
I do not mind spending the extra $$ if it is necessary, however do not want to get one just to support the profit margin at Camping World.

Will welcome your thoughts.

Thanks

Carol

Is the bed on your Tundra a 5.5' bed or a 6.5' bed?

grampscamper
04-19-2014, 02:50 AM
I went through the same process when we purchased our last truck and trailer. It seemed that 50% said I needed a slider, 50% said I didn't. I purchased a sliding hitch for our last truck & never used it in 3 years (6.75' box). We purchased a new 5th wheel & truck last year. I ordered the Ford with the 5th wheel prep package. I ordered the Reese/Ford non sliding hitch. The new truck has a 6.75' box. The fifth wheel has the recessed front cap. I'm sure I can jackknife the trailer to 90 degrees or more. I would agree with JRTJH. Much greater angle than I'm comfortable with.

mguay
04-19-2014, 03:53 AM
Since you have decided to NOT go with a slider...(good choice in my mind), My choice on the hitch is the B&W. I've had both and the Reese clunked so much I tossed it to the scrap pile.

As far as why someone would say Reese doesn't stand behind their product...I have the response. When I had mine, I called them numerous times about the clunk and got the responses, "That is normal", "There is nothing we can do about it", "It is designed to do that".

I will never spend another $0.01 with them!

Enjoy the new rig!

caroljg
04-20-2014, 06:02 AM
I have a 2013 GMC with a 6.5 bed. My Cougar 5th wheel will turn 85deg without hitting using the standard Reese 16k. I do have the manual slide option, but have yet to use it. Having just completed a 2600 miles from MD to Key Largo and back. Stopping in truckstops, parking lots, shopping centers and attractions without any issue. I would get a slider just in case, not having something when you need it is the worst scenerio.I would imagine a Reese 12k with manual slider would be marginally more expensive then a fixed hitch.

What kind if 5th wheel do you have? That can help make a choice.
Thanks for your reply!
I have a 2014 Cougar 26sab......29.5 ft long......it has the 'patented cap', though cannot find any literature as to what that is and the advantages of having it. The Camping World that sold it to me say that I need the PULLRITE with auto/slider....which, installed would be $2100. Seems a bit steep to me, but as I said, I do not mind spending the money if, indeed, I need to.

caroljg
04-20-2014, 06:04 AM
Is the bed on your Tundra a 5.5' bed or a 6.5' bed?
My truck bed is 6.5.

caroljg
04-20-2014, 06:07 AM
I went through the same process when we purchased our last truck and trailer. It seemed that 50% said I needed a slider, 50% said I didn't. I purchased a sliding hitch for our last truck & never used it in 3 years (6.75' box). We purchased a new 5th wheel & truck last year. I ordered the Ford with the 5th wheel prep package. I ordered the Reese/Ford non sliding hitch. The new truck has a 6.75' box. The fifth wheel has the recessed front cap. I'm sure I can jackknife the trailer to 90 degrees or more. I would agree with JRTJH. Much greater angle than I'm comfortable with.
The Cougar 26 SAB, also has the recessed cap. The truck bed is 6.5ft.

Festus2
04-20-2014, 06:20 AM
Thanks for your reply!
I have a 2014 Cougar 26sab......29.5 ft long......it has the 'patented cap', though cannot find any literature as to what that is and the advantages of having it. The Camping World that sold it to me say that I need the PULLRITE with auto/slider....which, installed would be $2100. Seems a bit steep to me, but as I said, I do not mind spending the money if, indeed, I need to.

I think the majority of members, including myself, who have the short box and a non-sliding hitch would suggest that you "don't need to". The recessed, curved front/nose of almost all "modern"5th wheels (Keystone or not) allow you to make a much tighter turn than the older versions. You have much more maneuverability than previously and only in rare circumstances would you ever find the need for a sliding hitch. Our hitch is manually adjustable so if I ever found myself in one of those "rare circumstances, I can always make provisions for that by moving the hitch back a few inches.

If, however, you are looking for that extra peace of mind and comfort, then a sliding hitch may be the solution for you.

theasphaltrv'er
04-20-2014, 07:27 AM
Thanks for your reply!

Hi..We also have a 2014 Cougar 26 SAB. We decided to be on the safe side and go with the 15K PullRite Glider. But ours installed was slightly less than $1600. The same place originally wanted to install a Husky non-slider for $1450 but we opted for the PullRite Glider instead for the piece of mind.

Charli
04-21-2014, 04:57 AM
We had a Cougar XLite 26SAB with a standard Pinbox and pulled it for 3 years with a 2008 Ram 2500, CTD, 6.5' box and a non-slider Reece Pro 15k hitch. When I purchased the 5er the dealer said I wouldn't need a slider and he was right. The sticker on the front cap says I can go to 88 degrees. Can't say I ever got close to that cause I didn't like the torque I was putting on the rig. At that angle you are almost pushing the unit sideways. That's a lot of stress on the components.
We have now switched TV and are in the process of changing 5ers, as per my sig. Ended up staying with a Reese hitch to fit the factory pucks in my F350. Are getting a 5th Airborne/ Sidewinder Pinbox which will reduce some of the chucking and smooth out the ride. I'm sure I didn't need to go with the Sidewinder but as many have said here its nice to have that margin for error. While there was an extra cost I was already spending a small fortune on this upgrade so the additional cost of the sidewinder was basically a rounding error.
Time will tell if I made the right decision but based on my research on this and other forums I should be ok.