PDA

View Full Version : Adding a cargo tray to the rear bumper

Pegleg13
02-21-2014, 12:07 PM
I'd like to add a cargo tray to the rear bumper of my Passport 28bh to temp carry a propane generator for our long trips. Is it recommended or available???

KYFamily
02-21-2014, 01:14 PM
You'll get different thoughts about this but I carryed up to four bicycles on my last 5th wheels bumper for years and never had an issue. I did take my tire and bracket off and weighed them. With the bike rack and bikes I was just a little over what the Tire combo weighed. Those tires are pretty heavy and bracket was well built. Take a look at the welding and use your best judgement. You may have to reinforce the bumper.

Festus2
02-21-2014, 01:38 PM
Pegleg13 -
I would not suggest that you add anything to the bumper without first modifying and reinforcing it. As is, the bumper is "flimsy" at best and; while you will hear reports of others who have carried bikes on it without incident, there is a pretty good chance that there will be failure sometime in the future. So I would ask, "Why take the risk?"

Some members have welded or bolted a tray/carrier to the frame of the RV. This is much safer and much more reliable way to go.

If you do a search of the forum, you will find some photos of what I am talking about. These mods will be found, of course, in the Modifications & Upgrades section of the forum.

You also have to consider the bouncing around that the generator will be subjected to if placed on a carrier/tray at the rear of your RV. If the generator is too big to place in the bed of your tow vehicle or in a storage compartment, then I suppose the tray at the back of the RV would be the next best place for it. Also, it will be exposed to the elements unless you build a box for it like some members have done. A couple of folks have had an aluminum box specially built for the generator to protect it from both the weather and theft.

In summary, placing any additional weight on the "as is" bumper is not something I would recommend.

SAABDOCTOR
02-21-2014, 01:42 PM
how much weight are talking about? if it is a light weight i would look closely at the welds and reinforcing the bumper if you go heavy maybe have a welder fabricate a hitch to the frame and get a reciever type platform. may cost more but it will arrive with you instead of on the hood of the car behind you:D

Bob Landry
02-21-2014, 02:56 PM
Keystone claims a 200lb limit on the bumper, and I question that. I have a diamond tread aluminum box sitting only bumper, but the heavy weight sits on the bumper and doesn't act like a lever on it, plus, I had some serious reinforcement done to the bumper. I think that even for a small generator, I would have a receiver attached to the frame. I've seen photos of bumpers that have been torn from he mounts.. Ugly!!

Bill & Deb
02-22-2014, 08:50 AM
I'd like to add a cargo tray to the rear bumper of my Passport 28bh to temp carry a propane generator for our long trips. Is it recommended or available???

I recently purchased a 2014 Laredo 329re. First thing I did was to have a local welder install a second bumper under the factory, which was welded to the frame. On that he welded two 2" hitch receivers. They were placed so that one I could use for my bike rack and the other holds a cage for my 2k generator. The spare tire is still mounted on original bumper. So far after 2000 plus miles this winter, works perfectly!

Pictures available on request.

Bill

Festus2
02-22-2014, 09:38 AM
Bob/Bill & Deb -
As a result of having your generator carried on the back bumper, have you noticed any issues with your generator? I am thinking about the additional bouncing around that takes place back "there" and what affect that might have on the generator?

I realize that; while it may be held securely in place, the generator may still be bouncing up and down more so than if it was it in truck bed or in one of the RV storage compartments.

frankief
03-10-2014, 03:37 PM
I have a Mount-n-Lock heavy Duty bumper with a tray, a bike rack and a spare tire on the back. It looks like they've got a new product line for more light-duty applications that uses the existing bumper with a reinforcing bracket.
http://mount-n-lock.com

Ram189
03-14-2014, 07:27 AM
I have a Mount-n-Lock heavy Duty bumper with a tray, a bike rack and a spare tire on the back. It looks like they've got a new product line for more light-duty applications that uses the existing bumper with a reinforcing bracket.
http://mount-n-lock.com

Nice find on that. I may be adding one to mine to haul my Generator around.

jje1960
03-14-2014, 02:07 PM
Well, been there done that.... Do it right the first time, I did same years ago 'on the cheap' and had the bumper rip off the TT going down a very bumpy interstate with a generator and other gear on it..... Lot's of sparks, lucky we did not hurt anyone behind us or damage the gear. It actually didn't completely detach (I had to do that) and was a major ordeal. We ended up fabricating a new bumper out of heavy gauge angle iron and then ok. Do it right the first time and it's a great mod.

Festus2
03-14-2014, 02:09 PM
The Mount-n-Lock Heavy Duty bumper as described in the ad mounts to the frame - a good thing. The other one that is "new" mounts directly to the bumper - not so good. Personally, I wouldn't recommend putting this "lighter weight" mount on a bumper that is not somehow welded or bolted to the RV's frame.

Bill & Deb
03-15-2014, 04:38 AM
Bob/Bill & Deb -
As a result of having your generator carried on the back bumper, have you noticed any issues with your generator? I am thinking about the additional bouncing around that takes place back "there" and what affect that might have on the generator?

I realize that; while it may be held securely in place, the generator may still be bouncing up and down more so than if it was it in truck bed or in one of the RV storage compartments.

Sorry for the delay but missed your post. No problems at all with generator. Starts every time.

Bill

frankief
03-17-2014, 04:56 AM
The Mount-n-Lock Heavy Duty bumper as described in the ad mounts to the frame - a good thing. The other one that is "new" mounts directly to the bumper - not so good. Personally, I wouldn't recommend putting this "lighter weight" mount on a bumper that is not somehow welded or bolted to the RV's frame.

We had a "near separation" of our bumper with a bike rack on it a couple of years ago. The way the bumper is mounted to the frame is so cheap that there is no way it can hold any weight at all.

For the "lightweight" version of the Mount-n-Lock (http://mount-n-lock.com/), there is a set of reinforcing brackets that they sell that mates the bumper to the frame so it doesn't rip off. Looks like a good middle-of-the-road solution for a simple upgrade.

Marcusjolaine
03-24-2015, 02:18 PM
Recently purchased the Mount-n-Lock cargo trays for my TT. They did great holding firewood and the generator.

https://www.mount-n-lock.com/

B-O-B'03
03-25-2015, 10:17 AM
Recently purchased the Mount-n-Lock cargo trays for my TT. They did great holding firewood and the generator.

https://www.mount-n-lock.com/

How do like the Champion 3100?

Costco had the non-remote start version for $699 and mine just arrived last night.

I might look into the mount-n-lock tray to put it on.

Thanks,

-Brian

Marcusjolaine
03-25-2015, 10:27 AM
It's been a great generator. That's a good price if it's the same model. I paid $1k with the wireless remote and cover.

B-O-B'03
03-25-2015, 04:42 PM
It's been a great generator. That's a good price if it's the same model. I paid $1k with the wireless remote and cover.

This one does not have the wireless remote or cover, I can probaly get the cover from Amazon.

How is it for noise?

Did you get a mount-n-lock system to strengthen your existing bumper or did you do something else to reinforce it?

I have heard the Keystone bumpers are pretty weak.

Thanks,

-Brian

Marcusjolaine
03-25-2015, 04:51 PM
Noise level is good. 58dba at 25ft. Only a couple more than the Honda 3000w.

The bumper on the Outback is welded to the frame.

I do feel a small vibration in the trailer floor when it's running.

Website for generator.
http://www.supergenproducts.com/catalog/p-100022/champion-3100w-inverter-w-wireless-remote-75537i

Festus2
03-25-2015, 06:09 PM
Let's try to stay on topic -- Cargo tray on rear bumper --
Thanks

Marcusjolaine
04-08-2015, 06:53 AM
Cargo trays, two Kayaks and campfire wood. Traveled 850 miles across Arizona back country with no problems.

{tpc}
04-08-2015, 08:34 AM
Trying to stay on topic...for those of us that have the keystone bumper that is just bolted to the frame...would welding it to the frame around that bolted area help at all? Or would the weakest point then just be where the square bumper is welded to the remaining piece that is bolted on?

Marcusjolaine
04-08-2015, 08:50 AM
Trying to stay on topic...for those of us that have the keystone bumper that is just bolted to the frame...would welding it to the frame around that bolted area help at all? Or would the weakest point then just be where the square bumper is welded to the remaining piece that is bolted on?

I would take it to a professional welder and have them weld to the frame if possible. I don't think I would rely on it being just bolted.

FTWingRiders
04-10-2015, 06:26 PM
Cargo trays, two Kayaks and campfire wood. Traveled 850 miles across Arizona back country with no problems.

That's a nice setup. It looks like the kayaks are strapped to the ladder, something I'd like to do. Is it just a cargo rack lined up under the ladder to support them or is it a special bracket you used? Thanks!

Marcusjolaine
04-10-2015, 07:12 PM
That's a nice setup. It looks like the kayaks are strapped to the ladder, something I'd like to do. Is it just a cargo rack lined up under the ladder to support them or is it a special bracket you used? Thanks!

Thanks

Correct, the Kayaks are resting on the tray and strapped to the ladder. No special bracket, just the tray.

FTWingRiders
04-10-2015, 08:02 PM
Thanks

Correct, the Kayaks are resting on the tray and strapped to the ladder. No special bracket, just the tray.

Thats just what I need to do. Thank you for the pics!!!