PDA

View Full Version : Planning for my delivery this weekend

BirchyBoy
02-18-2014, 11:24 AM
We're scheduled to go up this Saturday morning to complete our deal and get my truck prepped. I got the call today with the chance to add the "hand applied protection package" for $595 instead of the normal $1,195. I didn't say no but am planning to. I did ask about upgrading the included hitch (Fastway E2 Trunnion) to an Equal-i-zer hitch; this would be a $300 upgrade. I need to do some reading to determine if it is worth it or not. I'm thinking about the future and want to get the best hitch I can now instead of having to upgrade 2 or 3 years from now.

I've read about others having all of the systems checked out during their delivery. I want to do this, but then it would mean I have to re-winterize it directly afterwards since I won't be using it until April. I guess it makes sense, but I hope I don't screw something up when I redo it.

Any advice on either points?

GaryWT
02-18-2014, 03:27 PM
Last year we did a pick up in Feb but I did not have them connect a hose as I knew how things worked and did not want to have to winterized in Feb.

Hope the pick up goes well.

therink
02-18-2014, 03:50 PM
I highly recommend using the PDI form provided in this forum and following it to a T, which includes testing all waste tanks and water systems. Let the dealer know that you will not sign the dotted line and take delivery until all systems have been operated and found to be functional. Any minor adjustments can be made on the emotional before you take delivery.
If not, you will just be bringing it back and the repairs we no longer be considered a priority in the dealers, mind.
My last PDI (3/13) took about 3 hours. I brought my own tools and got dirty. I removed every access panel, I tested everything and found about 6 items that needed fixing, including a faulty connection on the black tank flush vacuum breaker causing water to flood the bathroom. All repairs were made on the spot to my satisfaction.
Prior to taking delivery, I informed my dealer I would be doing a thorough PDI and would take about 3 hours. I also told them that I would need a technician standing by and equipped to make any repairs needed, before I took delivery. This seemed to get their attention and they accommodated it.
You are in the drivers seat until you sign the final paperwork and hitch it up.
Good luck.

Festus2
02-18-2014, 04:24 PM
Birchyboy -
If I were you, I'd forego the "Hand-applied Protection Package" and save yourself about $600. In a nutshell, it just isn't worth it and you can do the same thing for far, far less $$$. Spend the $600 on something useful and far more value for the money.

Outbackmel
02-18-2014, 05:36 PM
Hey, that's 2 gallons of RV anti freeze and one million pounds of satisfaction knowing that everything works as it should. You can even re winterize right at the dealership so you are comfortable doing it. If you choose to camp a night of 2, then do so near the dealer and then re winterize.
Better safe than sorry.

We will be going through this process in mid April in Florida (from Georgia). we just signed for a new Forest River, Cedar Creek, Silverback 33RL, 36 ft triple slide, rear living. We fell head over heels with the cathedral ceilings in the slides. We loaded this one up and added TrailAir hitch. OutbackMel has become SilverbackMel on the Forest River forum site. These forums have been extremely helpful to me and I am appreciative of all the comments posted.
In April, I will be sliding into darkness on this site as we transcend into a new adventure. After looking at 15 Montana High Country units, we just decided to make a change because of the nuances we were seeking. I will print our PDI from here and take it with us to Florida and we will be at a campsite near the dealership to test the new systems out.

BirchyBoy
02-18-2014, 06:47 PM
Thanks all. The appt was setup for 10:00 to do the paperwork. I'm going to modify it a bit and do an 8:30 inspection and then sign the paperwork at 10:00 when the wife shows up. I'm going to take the suggestions and do a full water test and then re-winterize it.

Any comments on whether I should upgrade from the Fastway E2 Trunnion to the Equal-i-zer hitch for $300? That price seems like it is more than the difference in their cost but I can't be sure.

BirchyBoy
02-19-2014, 10:35 AM
I went ahead with the hitch upgrade and declined the protection package. I've ordered a few "essentials" (locks, chocks, jack foot) that I'll need for storage and am getting excited. Now it's just a waiting game for Saturday morning!

BirchyBoy
02-22-2014, 03:48 PM
I went and did the the pre-delivery inspection this morning and everything was awesome. I told the dealer my plan a couple days ahead, and when I got their it was hooked up to water and power and everything was running like a champ. The inspection took about an hour including the "introduction". When we were done, the tech went through the winterization process with me, showing me where the hose plugs into the pump, where the hot water bypass valve was, etc. It took us about 20 minutes to winterize it. The finance guy told me that they would charge $100 for the winterizing, which I agreed to, but they didn't charge me. They tried to charge me $165 because my truck didn't have the 7 pin jack already. I told him that I made that clear when we were haggling a month ago, and my contract included the brake controller, which to me is useless without the wiring. They agreed after a few minutes and we signed the paperwork.

I walked away with two things I wasn't expecting. First, the burners and oven have to be lit by lighter. The oven has a pilot light, but that has to be lit when setting up. I thought that the whole unit would have electronic ignition. Oh well. The second was the fridge, and it is only two-way (gas and 120v). I thought it would be 12 volt as well. The tech said it was safe to ride with the fridge running on propane, but to turn it off when gassing up. Another oh well.

The finance guy hit us up for the extended warranty, $2,300 worth. I asked him if it covered the structure, frame, exterior paint and roof. He said no, it covered the slides, power leveling, advanced appliances and a few other things. We don't have anything it covers, so I politely declined. He was able to knock 1/2% off our loan rate, so we're at 5.5% which is good.

Overall, we're both super psyched to get going on our first trip. They're keeping it for us until April 1, but I'm going to plan on getting it late March for a 2-3 day the week of the 25th.

Final outcome is a 2014 Passport 238ML with Equal-i-zer hitch, Voyager controller with 7 pin harness and installation, post-inspection winterization and a month's storage for $17,550. Oh yeah, the crappy intro-kit box as well.

Festus2
02-22-2014, 03:56 PM
BirchyBoy -
Glad to hear that the PDI went smoothly and that you turned down both the Extended Warranty and the Protection Package. I think that amounts to about $3000 in your pockets instead of somebody else.

Most RV fridges today are not 3 way. If you've ever had a fridge that operates on 12v, it is very easy - too easy - to end up with a dead battery. I don't think not having a 12fridge is something you will miss.

I'm sure you will really enjoy getting away your new TT at the end of March. Time will pass quickly.

theeyres
02-22-2014, 08:59 PM
Sounds like you made all the correct decisions, certainly the ones I would have made. You will love the Equal-i-zer. If it is too noisy for you, you can order teflon pads from the manufacturer for very little money. They are worth it. Glad you passed on the spendy stuff that you can do yourself. You can wax it for a can a wax in a few hours or less! And all fridges are only gas or electric and only the more expensive mid or high end trailers have electric ignition on the stove.

campin ken
03-05-2014, 04:28 AM
hi there
Where do i find the pdi form at ?
thanks for any help

Javi
03-05-2014, 04:35 AM
hi there
Where do i find the pdi form at ?
thanks for any help

http://www.angelfire.com/trek/buenavistas/RV_checklists/PDI_V113_2.pdf

GaryWT
03-05-2014, 05:53 AM
Sounds like you had a good day. We have not used our oven so have not had to light the pilot yet and maybe never will. Our previous trailer had electronics and when we upgrade we lost that but not a big deal, do most cooking outside anyway.

BirchyBoy
03-05-2014, 06:16 AM
Sounds like you had a good day. We have not used our oven so have not had to light the pilot yet and maybe never will. Our previous trailer had electronics and when we upgrade we lost that but not a big deal, do most cooking outside anyway.

I think we'll be cooking mostly outside as well. Looking at the Coleman grills right now in fact :-)

08quadram
03-07-2014, 04:22 PM
Congratulations on the trailer. You will like the equalizer hitch. You will probably have to readjust your hitch once you gat all your stuff loaded. I know I had to. We have yet to use or indoor oven, wife thought the prior kitchen was a waists, but that is all we use except for the campfire.

BirchyBoy
03-07-2014, 04:32 PM
Congratulations on the trailer. You will like the equalizer hitch. You will probably have to readjust your hitch once you gat all your stuff loaded. I know I had to. We have yet to use or indoor oven, wife thought the prior kitchen was a waists, but that is all we use except for the campfire.

Thanks! We're both really excited.

I was wondering about readjusting the hitch. I asked the tech if I would have to adjust it every time before leaving and he said no. I'm going to have to figure it out before I head out loaded the first time.

08quadram
03-07-2014, 08:13 PM
I only had to readjust mine after I pulled it a few times while we figured out how we were going to load it.

theeyres
03-07-2014, 08:27 PM
No you won't have to keep readjusting the hitch. Like everybody has said, probably just once when you get the trailer loaded. The instructions that come with the hitch are very clear and easy to follow.

Lighting the oven is no big deal. We use ours a lot. Loving baking.

chartrand
03-08-2014, 07:27 PM
Thanks! We're both really excited.

I was wondering about readjusting the hitch. I asked the tech if I would have to adjust it every time before leaving and he said no. I'm going to have to figure it out before I head out loaded the first time.

There are a couple good youtube videos on the break controllers and how to set them up. As well as a few on the Equalizer. I went through all the documentation on the hitch and and made a few adjustments that improved towing a lot. The dealer was close, but there was certainly room for improvement. I was also able to dial in the break controller a lot better as well.

My first trip out was at the campgrounds just behind the RV dealer, I found a few issues and they were came right over and took care the issues. During that trip I reading all the manuals, and filling out all the warranty cards that I was not able to do online.

BirchyBoy
03-13-2014, 08:05 AM
There are a couple good youtube videos on the break controllers and how to set them up. As well as a few on the Equalizer. I went through all the documentation on the hitch and and made a few adjustments that improved towing a lot. The dealer was close, but there was certainly room for improvement. I was also able to dial in the break controller a lot better as well.

My first trip out was at the campgrounds just behind the RV dealer, I found a few issues and they were came right over and took care the issues. During that trip I reading all the manuals, and filling out all the warranty cards that I was not able to do online.

Thanks. I'll take a look for those.

BirchyBoy
03-13-2014, 08:08 AM
I got a call from my wife's aunt's boss who has a storage yard. She rents spots to people if they're "somebody she knows". After a few calls back and forth, I've rented a spot from her and it will be ready this weekend. I like this better than others I called because she lives on-site but it also has secured access via code as well.

Since the storage is set, I've setup an appointment in the morning to have my brake controller finalized and then I'm going to tow it home for the weekend, and then drop it at the storage place until our first trip.

Super excited!

BirchyBoy
03-18-2014, 07:08 AM
Went an picked up the camper last Friday. My TV ('99 Yukon) did pretty well, but I'm glad that I targeted a lightweight trailer and not something that approached the full rating. I need to upgrade my tranny cooler before I head out on any long trips in warmer weather.

I parked it at the house and checked the battery meter and it only showed 1 bar. The dealer said it was fully charged, so I looked around and the radio was in standby mode (faint light, showing the time) and the antenna amp was turned on. I guess I'm not surprised it had sapped a lot of power in the past 2 or 3 weeks. I removed the battery and am charging it now. I'll definitely be installing a disconnect for storage before I re-install the battery.