PDA

View Full Version : Weld flaw in GM hitches of early 2000s vintage?

NEOHKeyster
02-17-2014, 02:54 PM
Our TV is a recently purchased 2002 Tahoe 4WD with a factory receiver. It's a rust belt truck, which means it has a fair amount of surface rust on the frame underneath...including around where the receiver bolts onto the frame.

In casually searching the 'net to see if there were any known safety/corrosion issues regarding the receiver, I found a few references to a 'known' problem regarding weak welds around the tubular portion of the receiver...but no official recall.

I don't know if it's BS...or speculation...or a real issue. So I figured I'd throw this out there to see if anyone has heard of anything regarding this.

If there's any question, I'd gladly spend the money on a new receiver. But if it's just internet lore....it'd just be throwing money away based on unsubstantiated hearsay. I just want to be safe, obviously. :)

Thanks in advance, as always.

Ken / Claudia
02-18-2014, 10:31 AM
If there is any question, I would remove it and let a welder or shop take a look. Cracks can be hard to see but, if cleaned and looked at real close you should be able to see them. Bad welds, I do not think I would try to say it they were good or bad when looking at them. I am not a welder.

Quad
02-18-2014, 11:17 AM
No it's not internet lore, but I don't think it's a huge problem ether. I don't know what models were affected. My 2005 Silverado OE hitch had a few cracks In the welds. I removed it and cleaned it, welded it and reinstalled it. Have had any problems since. Been two or three years since I made the repairs too.

2005 Silverado 2500HD D/A
2013 Laredo 321BH

rode2nowhere
02-18-2014, 02:47 PM
I found no cracks but went to a heavier hitch from curt:)

NEOHKeyster
02-20-2014, 11:28 AM
Thanks everyone for the feedback - much appreciated.

After considerable thought, a bit of lying underneath the back end of the truck, and some poking and prodding around the rusty areas and welds...I decided a couple hundred bucks was cheap enough insurance for peace of mind. Ordered an upgraded Class IV Curt.

Ken / Claudia
02-20-2014, 07:28 PM
Good choice. No guessing about the old hitch. Peace of mind with the new hitch helps make the towing less stressful.