PDA

View Full Version : Proper procedure for replacing fuses?

BooRadley
02-15-2014, 05:09 PM
For various reasons, I would like to replace all the fuses in the box in my 2013 Laredo. The book doesn't give the proper procedure for doing this. I don't want to test the fuses, I want to replace them.

Can anyone tell me the proper procedure for doing this? Can I just flip all the breakers off first, then swap out the fuses with no danger? Or do I need to disconnect from campground electricity first? If I have to disconnect first, do I also need to disconnect the battery before swapping out the fuses?

Thanks.

Sent from my X909 using Tapatalk

BooRadley
02-15-2014, 05:16 PM
I forgot to ask...there appears to be a small black switch and led next to each fuse. I could assume that this is for testing fuses? But if so, do I need to switch off each corresponding breaker before using the little switch?

The only electrical system and service I have experience with was for a mobile home. I wired in a dedicated circuit, replaced a few breakers, and installed an outdoor outlet. But the box had no fuses in it.

hankpage
02-15-2014, 08:41 PM
The fuses have nothing to do with the circuit breakers ... the breakers are 120v ac and the fuses are 12v dc. If the fuse is bad the led will light red. If you do replace the fuses be sure to use the same size and type that is in each location. I can not think of any reason to replace good fuses. :confused: If you feel more comfortable with no power while replacing them .. disconnect the battery and shore power. (shore power to converter produces 12v dc and charges battery) They just pull out and push back in.

PARAPTOR
02-15-2014, 10:08 PM
Hankpage is right on. Breakers and fuses are used to protect two different power sources being 120VAC and 12VDC. My rig actually has a breaker for the 12VDC converter. As stated by the OP fuses protect the rigs 12VDC circuits whereas breakers are used to protect the 120VAC circuits. I do not understand :confused: why if not blown as indicated by the red led being on, you would want to replace the fuses. Fuses need to be replaced with ones of equal size (amps) and type. I do not recall a switch next to each fuse on my rig. I would assume it is there to turn off the power to that circuit instead of removing the fuse. As far as replacing a fuse if you turn that switch off before you remove the fuse there is no load and therefore no chance of any arcing as the fuse is removed or inserted. As previously stated if for some reason you want to shut off all power to the fuses (12VDC) the converter must be off by either turning the breaker off to the converter or removing all AC power by disconnecting shore power or turning the generator off. Other source of 12VDC would be your batteries which would need to be disconnected, think your battery disconnect switch can be used. Taking lead off the battery definitely will.

Ken / Claudia
02-15-2014, 10:34 PM
My advice besides what has been said, check what size and how many of each size you need. Get the new ones and have them with you before you start pulling anything. Pull one at a time only and replace it before going to the next.

BooRadley
02-15-2014, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone. Well I guess the fuses aren't the trouble. My ac fan can run continuously but like once a minute the compressor tries and fails to kick on. I know it is likely the capacitor, but also my recessed ceiling lights don't work when I hit the switch, and also some exterior lights won't come on when I flip the switch. Dang me.

Beekeeper
02-16-2014, 04:44 AM
I would always replace a fuse while the circuit is not under any sort of load. It can be done, but you can get a small arc when the new fuse makes the circuit complete, and that small surge can blow the new fuse. It's always better (and safer) to work any electrical circuit while it is not energized.

Bob Landry
02-16-2014, 05:03 AM
Given your lack of electrical knowledge and not knowing the difference between what runs on 12V and 120V, I would take it to a dealer.

BooRadley
02-16-2014, 11:29 AM
Bob, if that were a possibility, I would not be posting these questions.

hankpage
02-16-2014, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone. Well I guess the fuses aren't the trouble. My ac fan can run continuously but like once a minute the compressor tries and fails to kick on. I know it is likely the capacitor, but also my recessed ceiling lights don't work when I hit the switch, and also some exterior lights won't come on when I flip the switch. Dang me.

Lighting may be double switched .... one on the fixture and one on the wall ... the fixture must be on for the wall switch to work and visa-versa. If you have a remote and the outside light was turned off with it I believe you must turn it on from the remote but not sure. Hopefully the a/c is just the start capacitor.

PARAPTOR
02-16-2014, 01:26 PM
Sounds like you have a lot going on, not an expert by any means but here are some things to consider. As far as the AC, think what you are seeing is the compressor motor trying to start and overheating to the point the thermal overload trips (opens) cutting power to the motor . Motor cools thermal switch closes power applied to motor, motor does not start and heats up and the process continues. Yes the capacitor shifts the phase to get the motor going and could be bad or the other possibility is that there is too much back pressure on the compressor and the motor cannot overcome it.

As the OP said need to check fixtures that have their own switch on them. You mentioned recessed lights in rig and some exterior lights, most of these if not all have no individual switches on them. Seems weird you have so many lights out. I assume you do have some DC lights that are working meaning you have some DC power. You mentioned that you have these switches next to each fuse, make sure these switches are in the on position. I assume you checked the actual bulbs, could have had some weird surge. Beyond this would suggest having someone with a meter to trace the 12VDC on the switches and lights. Hope this gives you some more generic information. Be careful

Bob Landry
02-16-2014, 02:33 PM
I'm wondering about the "switches" that are next to the fuses. I've never seen switches next to DC fuses and I'm referring to a converter and not an aftermarket panel that a previous owner may have replaced.. I'm wondering if the OP is referring to the AC circuit breakers in the converter that are in close proximity to the fuse panel. A photo of the power panel might help a lot here, since we aren't sure on terminology.

PARAPTOR
02-16-2014, 07:26 PM
I forgot to ask...there appears to be a small black switch and led next to each fuse. I could assume that this is for testing fuses? But if so, do I need to switch off each corresponding breaker before using the little switch?

The only electrical system and service I have experience with was for a mobile home. I wired in a dedicated circuit, replaced a few breakers, and installed an outdoor outlet. But the box had no fuses in it.

I agree a picture of the area referenced having the switches would definitely help. Never seen switches near each 12VDC fuse :banghead:

BooRadley
02-16-2014, 09:13 PM
No, the switches aren't breakers. I have had to replace breakers in a house before and know what breakers look like, lol. The things I thought were switches are tiny, and upon closer inspection aren't switches. Please ignore my question about them.

Also, neither the recessed lighting nor the exterior lighting that doesn't work is double switched. There are interior and exterior lights that are, but the ones that are not working are not double switched.

Pararaptor, I am OP. :D

trackstand
02-18-2014, 06:24 PM
Does anyone know what kind of fuses My 2014 passport 2910 takes? Its in storage and I would like to order some spares.

Thanks