PDA

View Full Version : Spring is near!!

cabinfever
02-15-2014, 04:43 PM
How can I tell. The birds coming back? Crocus pushing through the snow? Nope! Cars on the track at Daytona! "bouncey:

hankpage
02-15-2014, 04:47 PM
http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_112513_0_db48c9765117efa2b522cec3762014c2.jpg

fla-gypsy
02-16-2014, 04:31 PM
We have robins in the yard this week. It will not be long now

TAZ23
02-17-2014, 12:58 AM
How can I tell. The birds coming back? Crocus pushing through the snow? Nope! Cars on the track at Daytona! "bouncey:
Here in Northern Wisconsin the 500 is something to watch during the middle of Winter. It will be 2 more months before our average night time lows stay above freezing. last year it was the middle of May before the ground thawed and the campgrounds could turn the water back on. And this year who knows (we have over 7 feet of frost in the ground any where the snow has been plowed off). YUCK!!!!!

Jim & Kay
02-17-2014, 05:35 AM
We have had a "Winter" to remember here in the mountains of Virginia but are more than ready for Spring to arrive. The Daytona 500 is a great past time while the snow is melting.

crash
02-17-2014, 06:05 AM
We cannt wait til spring gets here,this has been one winter to remember for sure:eek:

JeffS
02-17-2014, 05:42 PM
120" here along Lake Michigan with another 6-7" in process as I write this. Even if Spring is just around the corner I do not think we will melt until June.

gearhead
02-25-2014, 06:36 PM
We're wearing shorts, cutting grass, and looking for snakes.

schwalbach
02-25-2014, 06:57 PM
Yeah right here is the forcast:
Tonight Partly cloudy, with a low around -15. Wind chill values between -25 and -35. West northwest wind 11 to 14 mph, with gusts as high as 18 mph.
Wednesday A slight chance of snow before 2pm, then areas of blowing snow and a chance of snow between 2pm and 5pm, then snow likely after 5pm. Mostly sunny and cold, with a high near 10. Wind chill values between -25 and -35. West southwest wind 13 to 18 mph, with gusts as high as 26 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
Wednesday Night Snow likely, mainly before 9pm. Partly cloudy, with a low around -14. Wind chill values between -25 and -35. Northwest wind 16 to 21 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.
Thursday Mostly sunny and cold, with a high near -1. Wind chill values between -25 and -35. West northwest wind 10 to 15 mph, with gusts as high as 22 mph.

Thinking about trading the camper in for a plane ticket to Hawaii and buying a tent to stay on the beach! Not sure the snow is going to melt before fall, frost is so deep we have to leave the water running or the pipes will freeze!

on the plus side bought 2 snowmobiles for Christmas and have 2,000 miles each so far this winter, and looks like a couple weeks at least left for the season!

Crank up the heat boys, with propane at $5.00 a gallon in Wisconsin we need all the help we can get to get through this year, record snowfall and record number of days below zero for the season!

KanTC
02-25-2014, 10:22 PM
Happy they were able to finish the 500 on Sunday, and it didn't turn into Speed week'S' ;)

Ready for Phoenix & Rattlesnake Hill...

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot :)

cabinfever
02-26-2014, 05:37 AM
Phoenix has not had much rain this winter and the temps have been in the 80s most of the time. NASCAR is coming to town. This weekends forecast....temps in the upper 60s and rain likely! :eek:

SAABDOCTOR
02-26-2014, 05:56 AM
YEA THAT SPRING IS STUCK IN A WALL OF ICE!:banghead: CAMPER STILL SKIRTED IN SNOW.:D

antiqfreq
02-26-2014, 05:59 AM
That Daytona 500 was TOO much.........but I did stay up for it !

As far as spring, all our fruit trees are blooming and now tomorrow we
are getting 25 degrees. Today it is just rain, rain, rain.

I am SO ready for spring..........and I am tired of looking at that 55 degree pool. I wanna go in!

Jo

:eek:

SAABDOCTOR
02-26-2014, 06:30 AM
55 Degrees I would be in shorts!!!!! ah Someday it will warm up:rolleyes:

JRTJH
02-26-2014, 09:18 AM
I'm beginning to wonder if we will get a spring this year. Last night's low was -16, right now it's 1 and the high today (if it gets there) is 11. Snow predicted for the next 10 days, average 2-4" daily. Antiqfreq, fruit trees blooming already? Our lawn is still buried under an average 3-4' of snow. We are getting closer to our escape, but it's still jacket weather even "down there"... I know this is the time of year when we wonder if it'll ever end, but this year, it doesn't seem possible when looking outside..... I've renamed our driveway, TUNDRA ROAD.... there's no place to pile any more white stuff. <sigh>

SAABDOCTOR
02-26-2014, 10:59 AM
WE THOUGHT LAST YEAR WAS BAD! HECK NO AND THE DANG COLD I NORMALLY BURN 2.5 TON OF PELLETS. SO FAR I AM AT 3 1/2 LOOKS LIKE USE 4 1/4 TON THIS YEAR! WE JUST HAD A SNOW SQUALL BLOW THROUGH NOW THE WIND IS KICKING UP WIND CHILL 0 TONIGHT TEMP WILL BE -2 ENOUGH ALL READY!! All that yelling made me feel warm:D And you guys in the south remember we can send that next polar vortex your way HA HA:banghead:

gearhead
02-26-2014, 07:48 PM
I planted a triple grafted apple tree 3 weeks ago. Anna, Fuji, and Golden Dorsett limbs all on one tree. It has blooms all over it.
Cool front blew in yesterday...it's down to low 40 degrees. Brutal I tell ya, just brutal. Probably go fishin Saturday if the wind's not blowing too bad. Trinity Bay or Lake Livingston??

JRTJH
02-26-2014, 08:15 PM
Gearhead,

We have relatives in Old Ocean and we will be south of there on the Gulf in the next few weeks. We'll be on the water and I guarantee we'll have adult beverages and fishing poles. The most "brutal" I want to think of is where to throw the empties LOL

:D

hankpage
02-26-2014, 08:28 PM
Gearhead,

We have relatives in Old Ocean and we will be south of there on the Gulf in the next few weeks. We'll be on the water and I guarantee we'll have adult beverages and fishing poles. The most "brutal" I want to think of is where to throw the empties LOL

:D

John, When did you get the door open on the pole barn?????????? Unless you're flying down. :D http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=251&pictureid=1118

JRTJH
02-26-2014, 09:19 PM
John, When did you get the door open on the pole barn?????????? Unless you're flying down. :D http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=251&pictureid=1118

That's why I said, "in the next few weeks"..... So far, it's been above 20 2 days in the past 2 weeks. I poured "ice melt" around the door both days, now it looks like it's melted "a smidgen" and refrozen "tighter than before" <sigh> If it's not above freezing by St Patty's day, my DW has informed me that it's time to take the tractor to the door and we can fix it when we get back. Hmmmmm I'm thinking that "she who brought me back here" is getting cabin fever worse than I am :eek: Her suggestion for supper tomorrow night is grilled chicken. The grill is on the back deck, buried in about 4' of snow with the cover frozen to it. The only way to grill is to possibly set the house on fire and wait until it burns through to the freezer ????? :rolleyes:

Optimistically, we've got 2 or 3 weeks before it starts getting to "critical mass" on getting the pole barn open.... Hopefully by then things will have turned the corner.... (hopefully not the polar vortex corner)

gearhead
02-27-2014, 05:50 AM
http://www.harborfreight.com/propane-torch-with-push-button-igniter-91037.html

Here is what Texas ranchers call a pear burner. Used to burn the thorns off prickly pear cactus so cattle can eat it in bad times. This ought to get you out of the barn!
That Old Ocean area is an interesting part of early Texas. I need to get down there and visit that Varner-Hogg State Historical Park. You've also got Brazos Bend State Park right there. I think old Jim Bowie was trying to build a big sugar cane operation down there before he got trapped in the Alamo.
We used to go offshore out of Freeport. You get to deeper water quicker than off Galveston down there. Further south the trout and reds should be turning on with some south wind and warm water. Good luck! Give us a fishing report!

JRTJH
02-27-2014, 08:16 AM
Yup, that part of southeast Texas is in a "world of its own" so to speak. Way back when, I spent several summers with my Uncle in Old Ocean. For a high school kid from the sticks, it was great to be that close to Houston yet still able to go rattlesnake hunting every morning. We used to start fishing at sunup and eat supper well after the sun went down and it got cool enough to sit on the porch and swat flies LOL Great times and many memories of that area when I was growing up.

I've got one of those burners that I bought at Harbor Freight years ago to burn fire ant hills (didn't work BTW). Mine doesn't have the igniter, I use a long reach propane lighter to get it going.

My only concern is that the pole barn door is 2x8 construction with the metal screwed to the framework. If, with my luck, I should happen to get too close, the volunteer FD :fire: is in the next town over and would have to dig out to get to me. I'd hate to stand by and watch my boat, 4 wheelers, lawn tractor, brush hog and trailer turn into charcoal. Now that would be one UGLY sight...... :bm:

If I had a metal framed door, I wouldn't mind scorching the paint on the bottom to "escape", but I hesitate with all that wood..... I know, no guts no glory.... LOL

An additional "current status report": Current temp: -5 (it's noon) High today: 1 Low tonight -16 Snowfall: 6-8" with drifting. Schools are closed today and tomorrow (again)..... Now, where the heck did I put that "pear burner" ????? It's getting to be more and more a matter of "I gotta leave" LOL

hankpage
02-27-2014, 10:20 AM
. Now, where the heck did I put that "pear burner" ????? It's getting to be more and more a matter of "I gotta leave" LOL[/B][/I]

With your luck .... IT'S IN THE BARN!!!!!!

SAABDOCTOR
02-27-2014, 10:31 AM
John since everything is in the "freezer"(It won't go bad) I would jump in the f250 and head down south and rent a camper before you completly lose your mind! or is the truck in the barn too? I know the mind is gone... just like mine. I know more snow is coming on monday! FLARP!:banghead::banghead: now that feels better

mikell
02-27-2014, 11:04 AM
9 and snowing hard out, here in Southwest Michigan. supposed to get up to 20 next week.

JRTJH
02-27-2014, 01:04 PM
Hank, It's in the barn behind the house with all my tools. The tractor, 1 4 wheeler, the snow blower, tools, etc are "real close" I can get in this pole barn, it has a roll up door (10x10). They didn't want to put a 14' rollup in the "new pole barn" and I needed at least 13'6" in case I wanted to add anything to the roof of the Cougar. I can get in that barn through the side "people door" and once in, I can get the 10x10 roll up door open, I just can't get the sliding door "unstuck"..... It'll happen, sooner or later (I HOPE!!!!)

Barney, We could head south and stay with relatives or in cabins at some of the fish camps along the coast. My "hope" was to spend about a month in south Texas, then "mosey" back north via Dallas, OK city, Wichita, St Louis, and then over to Ohio to visit grandkids. That's hard to do without that "thing" dragging along behind us... <sigh> I know how you feel about more snow.... I'm fast running out of places to stack it. It's past just pushing it, has been for a month plus.... I've got an 8' high reach with my front end loader and I'm dumping right now with it rolling back down partway. I can't get over the pile to dump more and it's frozen so tight it's nearly impossible to push it at the top. So, Now I'm stacking it across the drive where the rose bushes are.... <SHHHHHH> If DW doesn't notice, I won't get yelled at :rolleyes:

mikell, You say it's 9 out and snowing hard... supposed to be 20 next week. Is that 20 temperature or added snowfall???? <Yikes> LOL

I just finished plowing the drive and back yard... Yeah, I plow the yard so the dog can go out.... It's -2 right now. I don't think we're going to see that "daytime high" of 1 today. So far it's been below 0 all day..... :yawn:

SAABDOCTOR
02-27-2014, 01:28 PM
john i am lucky i have malamutes they love this stuff! THEY DIG IN THE SNOW TO MAKE A HALF A#% IGLOO AND FALL AS SLEEP. once it hits zero they stop panting and realy love to run in the snow. when i have the blower on the tractor running the big one tries to eat the flying snow:eek: at least someone is having fun:D

JRTJH
02-27-2014, 01:46 PM
Barney,

I've been looking at 3 pt snowblowers for my tractor. The most practical seems to be a 6' with hydraulic chute. My only issue is I don't really have any place to store it during the summer (assuming we do have one) and the cost. It's upwards of $2500 plus $500 to install the rear hydraulics. That also means operating backwards in the seat with no cab..... I'd really like a front blower, but that's almost $6000. Unless I'm going to plow for money (I really don't want to commit and not be able to leave/sleep late/just relax, so I prefer to just do it for myself). That's a chunk of investment for just my drives and yard. What I've got is a 7' back blade and a FEL. It works well most of the time, but this year.... YIKES.... My luck, I'll buy a blower and it won't snow for 3 years..... I do have a small walk behind blower for the sidewalks and to get to the gas meter/electric meter, but I'm not using that on a 1/4 mile drive LOL

We've got a German Wirehair Pointer. He loves the snow and would stay out all day if we let him. The problem is that when it's 4' deep and he's a 2' dog, it's not real conducive to squatting, so he sort of "won't go" until he can get on top of the snow. When it's powder and won't support him, he's not a "happy camper" so it's just as easy to keep him a place to "wander around and do his business"..... Otherwise, once he's done, he's buried in snow and smells like a wet dog all the time. Either outside or in front of the fireplace... What a life, eh??? LOL

hankpage
02-27-2014, 01:58 PM
John, You might want to rig up something like this for the Wire Hair. Two inches of snow is a wake up call for a Doxie.

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_114252_0_1c59d0492b48704d314a7ef6e287acc9.jpg

PT RV`er
02-28-2014, 05:02 AM
Spring is right around the corner and I`m looking forward to it. Although our temps have not been bad, it`s all the rain. Seems like every 3 or 4 days we get another 2 to 3 inches of the wet stuff. I`ve been trying to build a pole barn for the RV but can`t get past the framing for the pad. Our water table is extremely high right now and if I were to get a load of crushed concrete in on my property, I think the dump truck might sink. I`ve been at this stage for several months waiting on some dry weather. Until the water table drops, I`m floating, hoping that spring will bring some much needed drier days.

JRTJH
02-28-2014, 05:15 AM
PT RV`er,

We get much the same conditions in the spring with the snow melt. All the roads have reduced weight limits while the ground is saturated. Here, it's either get it delivered while the ground is frozen (and hope they dump it in the right place) or wait until summer when the ground is dry. Up here everything is sand, so we can get 2" of rain today and have dusty roads tomorrow. Certainly not like the "gumbo mud" in Louisiana that I'm familiar with LOL

Are you getting the crushed concrete to use as a foundation filler, a base in the pole barn or to build a drive? When we built ours last winter, we completed the building in January and then dumped crushed limestone for the drive and floor in June when the snow was gone. I pushed it into the building with the tractor and then leveled it all. To me, it seemed the easiest way to get the building up and dry. It was a sandy floor till spring, but the building was finished other than the limestone.

SAABDOCTOR
02-28-2014, 07:15 AM
John That driving backwards is nuts I would go crazy. I have a blower on a Wheel horse tractor. I found a cab for it and as long as stay ahead of the snow. 12" or less it works great. I rigged up a heater off the muffler. like the heater cuff on an air plane so I stay nice and warm. My drive way is a long hill with a high wall on one side house on the other. so plowing is out! takes about 2 hours to do it. Now we have TITAN coming I think you'll be getting that storm tonight or saturday we get it on sunday through monday. Maybe after this one it will start to warm up. Stay safe everyone no heart attacks from shoveling!!!:banghead: