PDA

View Full Version : Front wheel drive SUV for towing?

fjp800
02-12-2014, 06:25 AM
:confused: My wife and I are looking to purchase a vehicle to tow a trailer camper + or - 19 feet. There are a number of front wheel of 6 cylinder..300+hp cars..which have a tow rating of over 5,000lbs... Example: Nissan Arcadia.. and I would like to know if there are any problems with using a front wheel car for towing? My wife and I are new at this and need some direction. We plan to travel throughout the United States...Not during the winter months...If any of you are using a front wheel drive vehicle... Any problems and or vehicle suggestions? Thank you in advance!!!

hankpage
02-12-2014, 06:37 AM
I believe the Nissan ARMADA is rear wheel drive and a v8. The GM Acadia comes in a v6 FWD???????

JRTJH
02-12-2014, 07:05 AM
If you go to the GMC website, http://www.gmc.com/trailering-towing.html

You'll find a red box in the middle of the page, If you click through that box, you'll find the "definition" of what GMC considers appropriate trailers for each category by weight. In the 3501-5000 lb category, they list: Dual/Single axle trailers, Large boats, Enclosed utility trailers.

You will not find Travel Trailers listed until you get to the 5001 - 10,000 lb category.

The reason for this is probably more to do with frontal surface area of a travel trailer, which is a much larger "air dam" to pull than a boat or utility trailer. While they don't "specifically" say not to tow a travel trailer with an Acadia, they also don't address it by saying the vehicle is equipped to tow a travel trailer as the maximum limit is 5,000 lbs putting it in the "large boat, utility trailer" category.

Additionally, it's very hard to find a travel trailer in the 20' range that, when loaded for a trip, is less than 5000 lbs. Most are 6,000 lbs or heavier.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

fjp800
02-12-2014, 07:25 AM
Thank you for the information... It makes sense to me. I guess my best bet is a V8 SUV with RWD? Don't want to go with a truck because we have three dogs which will tag along. One is 85 lbs.. So an SUV would be best for us I guess.. Maybe an Armada or Denali?

Regards and thank you again!!!"bouncey:

SAABDOCTOR
02-12-2014, 07:26 AM
HI AND Welcome to the forum. i will agree with john esp about a travel trailer. a pop up should be no problem but i would bet that something that small will get old fast! towing with front wheel drive is not very different than rear wheel drive i tow with my saab all the time load limit 2500 lbs. no trailer brakes. If you are considering a travel trailer i would seriously look at a 1/2 ton truck good luck on the search!

BirchyBoy
02-12-2014, 07:27 AM
The only concern I would have, and it may be unwarranted, is the reduced weight on the front wheels while towing a trailer. It will be accounted for somewhat by a weight distributing hitch, but won't the front end still get light at times, maybe going over bigger bumps and such?

JRTJH
02-12-2014, 07:30 AM
If you're considering a "larger" SUV, keep the Expidition, Yukon and similar vehicles in mind. Remember that if you buy a SUV rated at a specific weight and then load it up to that weight, you have no "leeway" and you'll be maxing out the vehicle's capabilities. That's not good for sustained operation and certainly won't help you with "long term ownership" The more "extra capacity" you have, the easier the vehicle will work when towing and the more "reliability, durability and performance" you'll get. It's almost always better to have a little extra than it is to not quite have enough......

SAABDOCTOR
02-12-2014, 10:32 AM
wise words. when figuring your weights be at the limit while it may be safe it is not the best soluton. this is one of those times when bigger is better!. If you tow within the limits of the stated weight the front end will stay on the ground!

cjm
02-12-2014, 05:28 PM
I've towed a small trailer with a 330hp front wheel drive. It worked, but I wouldn't want to do it across the country. We also have dogs, and switched to a Pickup with a canopy... keeps the dog hair out of the car, provides a great kennel for them when they are soaking wet or just need a time out, and keeps everything else dry as well.

gearhead
02-12-2014, 07:43 PM
Thank you for the information... It makes sense to me. I guess my best bet is a V8 SUV with RWD? Don't want to go with a truck because we have three dogs which will tag along. One is 85 lbs.. So an SUV would be best for us I guess.. Maybe an Armada or Denali?

Regards and thank you again!!!"bouncey:

Three dogs and one is 85#. I would go with a crewcab 1/2 ton truck (of your brand choice) with a nice color matching fiberglass cap with windows on the back for the dogs. Great for storing camping equipment as well as wet dogs.

concours
02-14-2014, 06:42 AM
Take a serious look at the Armada and compare both the HP and Torque on these SUV's also at what RPM is the Torque produced I have towed with a Titan which has the same performance spec as the Armada and I know that it will out perform the Denalli