PDA

View Full Version : Hit the 10 foot mark for snow!

cabinfever
02-10-2014, 10:26 AM
After the 5 inches we received yesterday and overnight we are at 123.5 inches of snow in my back yard, not all still there. The Erie Airport is at 107.5. lower because it is closer to the lake. Erie is 14 inches ahead of Buffalo for snowiest city this year. That is cities with at least 100K in population.

JRTJH
02-10-2014, 10:34 AM
It seems like everywhere east of the "Great Divide" is having record rain/snowfall this year. We're at 149" (at the NWS site) already and have 2 months of "good skiing/snowmobiling weather remaining. Out where we live on a mountain slope, we usually get even more snow than in town. February and March are typically the wettest months so who knows what's left. It's stacking up to be a record breaking year for snowfalls everywhere..... :eek:

About the only place that's not getting rain is where they need it most, in California. With the drought there, we're all going to feel the pain once food prices start to climb.....

Enjoy the snow now, here's hoping it's all gone by June !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cool:

cabinfever
02-10-2014, 11:48 AM
Since I make part of my living by pushing the snow around I'm actually lovin it! We are 10 inches away from a new #10 for the snowiest winters. To set a new #1 we would need to get to 149.2. Those numbers are at the airport. I live just south of I-90 and we are normally 20% higher than the airport. The sweet spot, which is another 10 miles southeast from my back yard, is usually 50% more than the airport. Lake effect is awesome!!"bouncey:

mikell
02-11-2014, 07:23 AM
Here in South West Michigan we went over 80" last week and it's still snowing every day so we must be over 100" by now

They say the lakes should come up quite a bit because of the cold and ice

Bob Landry
02-11-2014, 07:30 AM
Ain't Global Warming great?

JRTJH
02-11-2014, 07:36 AM
Mikell,

The Great Lakes are pretty much frozen over (80%) which means they won't be giving up moisture to fall as lake effect snow. That's good for two reasons, first, we don't have to shovel it, but more important, the Great Lakes are keeping that moisture and when the "system snow" melts, that runoff will eventually get to the lakes adding much needed moisture and causing the levels to rise. Currently, in Grand Traverse Bay, Lake Michigan is down about 4'. The boat ramps in the harbor at Elk River and East Jordan were closed to "normal boat traffic" only the small outboards were able to navigate the harbors because they were so shallow.

This one winter won't be enough to get the lakes back to "normal" but it's a start. Hopefully the salmon will be able to get to the stream heads this year to spawn. Last year, they congregated in Lake Michigan, were unable to get into the streams because of the low lake levels and the spawn was pretty much a failure on all but the biggest rivers. With rising levels, maybe they can get into the streams this year.....

As much as I hate shoveling this stuff, we really need the moisture.

SAABDOCTOR
02-12-2014, 07:38 AM
more snow tonight and all day thursday! now my camper is fully skirted! be safe all:D

hankpage
02-12-2014, 02:11 PM
http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_112128_0_db48c9765117efa2b522cec3762014c2.jpg

ThePressureIsOn
02-14-2014, 05:55 AM
I sure could have used one of these in Michigan this winter!:)
http://www.chonday.com/Videos/snowblowvch1

FullTimer
02-14-2014, 06:49 AM
I sure could have used one of these in Michigan this winter!:)
http://www.chonday.com/Videos/snowblowvch1

Haha, love it, Tim Allen would be proud.

JRTJH
02-14-2014, 07:58 AM
One thing for sure, you won't be moving that one by hand. If the transmission ever goes out, that's where it stays till spring.... LOL

Maybe that's what they used to clear this road up by Charlevoix, MI.

SAABDOCTOR
02-14-2014, 08:24 AM
now thats funny right there I tell you what:D