PDA

View Full Version : Painting "Wood" laminate?

patagoniadave
02-05-2014, 09:13 PM
I now know that I am search bar challenged, there is no way I am the first one who has wanted to paint the existing cabinets? I tried all sorts of combinations for searching, and the closest thing I found was that painters tape can cause it to peel when painting walls?

Truly sorry, if someone will point me to a thread where it is discussed, I would be very thankful.

If for some reason there is not one, I need to know if there are dos or don'ts or tips for painting the frames of the cabinetry. It is some sort of laminate over osb as far as I can tell.

Thanks

Steve S
02-05-2014, 09:54 PM
Don't, it'll peal, chip and flake off unless you want to sand the s$#t out of it first.
But why would you want to do that in the first place?

WaltBennett
02-06-2014, 04:19 AM
Are you certain they are laminate? Our Monty has real wood doors, and although the cabinet box sides are laminate, the front faces are real. If you only want to paint the doors, you just have to worry about sanding the wood some. If you need to refinish them, you'll need to remove the old finish first. I made some mods to our old TT with unfinished oak and put tung oil on it - matched the laminate almost perfectly.

patagoniadave
02-06-2014, 06:42 AM
Don't, it'll peal, chip and flake off unless you want to sand the s$#t out of it first.
But why would you want to do that in the first place?

My girlfriend does not like the old decor. I promised her if we did not go take mortgage out on a new rig, and bought one we could afford, she could change out any finches on the interior she wanted. The old Oak was the first request.

Are you sure about the peeling? She showed me pintrest pictures of painted cabinets, of course they were probably all taken right after completion :-)

patagoniadave
02-06-2014, 06:45 AM
Are you certain they are laminate? Our Monty has real wood doors, and although the cabinet box sides are laminate, the front faces are real. If you only want to paint the doors, you just have to worry about sanding the wood some. If you need to refinish them, you'll need to remove the old finish first. I made some mods to our old TT with unfinished oak and put tung oil on it - matched the laminate almost perfectly.

Yeah, ours is the same. Laminate bases, real wood doors. My GF wants a solid color on the cabinets, doors and bases. I figured I had the doors handled, but never tried to paint over laminate before.

Thanks all

patagoniadave
02-06-2014, 07:38 AM
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/asktoh/question/0,,380712,00.html

http://www.wikihow.com/Paint-Laminate-Cabinets

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/21/AR2005092100593.html

Think I like the wiki one best

JRTJH
02-06-2014, 08:09 AM
I'm not sure you've got laminate cabinets. I'd be more inclined to think they are "vinyl wrapped" rather than laminate. The endcaps are printed "hardboard or luan" and the stiles are "vinyl wrapped" in almost all the RV's I've seen. The only true "hardwood" (and that is often poplar that's stained to resemble oak) is in the frames and doors. Otherwise, I'm thinking all of your cabinets are "photo-printed hardboard/luan" or vinyl wrapped.

You might want to do some closer looking before you decide on one of those paint concepts.

patagoniadave
02-06-2014, 08:40 AM
I'm not sure you've got laminate cabinets. I'd be more inclined to think they are "vinyl wrapped" rather than laminate. The endcaps are printed "hardboard or luan" and the stiles are "vinyl wrapped" in almost all the RV's I've seen. The only true "hardwood" (and that is often poplar that's stained to resemble oak) is in the frames and doors. Otherwise, I'm thinking all of your cabinets are "photo-printed hardboard/luan" or vinyl wrapped.

You might want to do some closer looking before you decide on one of those paint concepts.

ah, I used the wrong phrasing when searching. Thank you

From what I can tell everything is osb vinyl wrapped except the cabinet doors, and maybe the slide trim.

Steve S
02-06-2014, 09:32 AM
I'm thinking I would leave it alone or buy new replacement doors.
Personally I think your going to create a headache that you really don't want to have.
Maybe post up a pic so we know exactly what you're dealing with.
I'm thinking JRTJH nailed it.

patagoniadave
02-06-2014, 09:38 AM
I'm thinking I would leave it alone or buy new replacement doors.
Personally I think your going to create a headache that you really don't want to have.
Maybe post up a pic so we know exactly what you're dealing with.
I'm thinking JRTJH nailed it.

The doors are wood, it is the cabinets they are attached to that is the wrapped osb, so just the gaps between, and around the doors. Uh, I'll post a picture of my entertainment center, but it is all the same stuff that is in most rv's I looked at when shopping.

I am going to go to a real paint store, and see if someone there will have an educated answer. From what I have read, it is all about getting the primer to stick to the vinyl, and there may be products designed for that?

Steve S
02-06-2014, 10:07 AM
So my educated answers are no good:confused::)
22 yrs owning a construction company and I can tell you right now that paint will not stick to vinyl, it might for awhile if you sand it but it'll peal.
Keep in mind the temp variations in a trailer compared to a house, paint doesn't stand up very well to that.
The paint stores will sell you a bunch of stuff and take your money but keep in my why they sell paint for a living.......they have no hands on experience.
I know of only 1 product that would work as a primer but I won't post it here as the stuff could kill you in an enclosed space. Also for me in B.C I need to flash my license to buy the stuff.

patagoniadave
02-06-2014, 10:35 AM
So my educated answers are no good:confused::)
22 yrs owning a construction company and I can tell you right now that paint will not stick to vinyl, it might for awhile if you sand it but it'll peal.
Keep in mind the temp variations in a trailer compared to a house, paint doesn't stand up very well to that.
The paint stores will sell you a bunch of stuff and take your money but keep in my why they sell paint for a living.......they have no hands on experience.
I know of only 1 product that would work as a primer but I won't post it here as the stuff could kill you in an enclosed space. Also for me in B.C I need to flash my license to buy the stuff.

Sorry Steve, that did sound like I was putting down your opinion after I read it, not how intended it at all! What I really meant, is that I wanted to go somewhere not Walmart or Home Depot, and talk to someone who only deals in paint.

Some of those DIY sites I was reading were talking about special primers that would bond to the vinyl, that you could then prime with another primer, then paint, so I wanted to go in and read some labels. You think they are all bunk? I certainly trust the experience of contractors field experience.

byrdr1
02-06-2014, 10:58 AM
I tried all sorts of combinations for searching, and the closest thing I found was that painters tape can cause it to peel when painting walls?
If for some reason there is not one, I need to know if there are dos or don'ts or tips for painting the frames of the cabinetry. It is some sort of laminate over osb as far as I can tell.
Thanks
Dave, I had my main kitchen counter top off my sink cabinets and I had to rebuild my drawers that were in this cabinet. it isn't even an OBS product. It's more like a pressed paper and wood composite. ITS junk it will bust up easy.
And then it is covered with the vinyl woodgrain type paper. its not as think as the old contact paper would be. I had to rebuild the drawers with 1X4's, screws and finishing nails. NOT the drawers but what held them and the sliding hardware all in place.
After reinstalling my counter top I used screws, pin nials and wood glue to get it all back together. NOT having a cabinet shop or the right tools did not help.
NO one has mentioned it but what if you redid the doors and used a 1/4 luan over the cabinet frames. put the luan up and cut(router) your openings paint it what ever way you wanted and then refinish the doors to match. If you have the right table saws, tools, etc. you might be able to do it this way very easily.
JMHO
randy

patagoniadave
02-06-2014, 11:01 AM
Dave, I had my main kitchen counter top off my sink cabinets and I had to rebuild my drawers that were in this cabinet. it isn't even an OBS product. It's more like a pressed paper and wood composite. ITS junk it will bust up easy.
And then it is covered with the vinyl woodgrain type paper. its not as think as the old contact paper would be. I had to rebuild the drawers with 1X4's, screws and finishing nails. NOT the drawers but what held them and the sliding hardware all in place.
After reinstalling my counter top I used screws, pin nials and wood glue to get it all back together. NOT having a cabinet shop or the right tools did not help.
NO one has mentioned it but what if you redid the doors and used a 1/4 luan over the cabinet frames. put the luan up and cut(router) your openings paint it what ever way you wanted and then refinish the doors to match. If you have the right table saws, tools, etc. you might be able to do it this way very easily.
JMHO
randy

I will take a look, depends on the end panels, and how I would make the corners.

Bob Landry
02-06-2014, 11:58 AM

That's what I'm thinking also. The term "laminate" is being used here incorrectly. While the doors may be solid wood, the framing and facing is going to be covered with a vinyl material. I'm not sure what the process is, but it appears to be some kind of heat application where the vinyl adheres to the wood framing. I'm guessing that all of the trailer manufacturers are using this, even on high end trailers, because it eliminates the time waiting for conventional wood finishing materials to dry.
If you run you finger along the back side of the cabinet face, you can feel he edge of the overlay material.

patagoniadave
02-06-2014, 12:07 PM
That's what I'm thinking also. The term "laminate" is being used here incorrectly. While the doors may be solid wood, the framing and facing is going to be covered with a vinyl material. I'm not sure what the process is, but it appears to be some kind of heat application where the vinyl adheres to the wood framing. I'm guessing that all of the trailer manufacturers are using this, even on high end trailers, because it eliminates the time waiting for conventional wood finishing materials to dry.
If you run you finger along the back side of the cabinet face, you can feel he edge of the overlay material.

No, you are both right, it is a vinyl, I scratched a spot when wrestling the television out of its spot, and it is exposed to teh mdf. I was just using the wrong terminology, sorry.

Steve S
02-06-2014, 01:37 PM
Sorry Steve, that did sound like I was putting down your opinion after I read it, not how intended it at all! What I really meant, is that I wanted to go somewhere not Walmart or Home Depot, and talk to someone who only deals in paint.

Some of those DIY sites I was reading were talking about special primers that would bond to the vinyl, that you could then prime with another primer, then paint, so I wanted to go in and read some labels. You think they are all bunk? I certainly trust the experience of contractors field experience.

K here you go, I'll solve your problems for you.
Disclaimer I didn't type this my dog did so don't blame me if you die of a nasty lung infection.
There's only 1 product that I would use and it's called Sandsfree, the stuff works great, I've never had a problem with it. It comes as a primer as a base and many colors as a finish.
WEAR A MASK!!!! The stuff can kill you and the stink lingers for a day or two!
Write and sign your will before using:eek::rofl:

Signed Zoe the campfire dog"bouncey:

patagoniadave
02-06-2014, 01:41 PM
K here you go, I'll solve your problems for you.
Disclaimer I didn't type this my dog did so don't blame me if you die of a nasty lung infection.
There's only 1 product that I would use and it's called Sandsfree, the stuff works great, I've never had a problem with it. It comes as a primer as a base and many colors as a finish.
WEAR A MASK!!!! The stuff can kill you and the stink lingers for a day or two!
Write and sign your will before using:eek::rofl:

Signed Zoe the campfire dog"bouncey:

Zoe looks so sweet, I cannot imagine anything toxic coming from Zoe. Might be an academic conversation anyway, my gf is starting to back pedal a bit about painting all of the cabinets, which is more than fine by me. Tell Zoe thank you anyway.

Bob Landry
02-06-2014, 01:48 PM
If you are really deadset on changing the colors of our cabinets, why not just re-face them and then you could have the wood and finish of your color. Cabinet doors aren't that expensive and considering the time you are going to spend trying to find a product that will do what you want and then have to redo it multiple times, it may be cheaper. The standard dark cabinet color for Keystone's cabinetry is cherry. Take a door to a paint store and let them match the color, then you only have to reface. An even cheaper solution is to tell DW to live with the color and move on to another project because this one has all the makings of an exercise in futility.

Steve S
02-06-2014, 01:49 PM
She says thanks and to send her a bone:)
I rescued her 4 yrs from a very nasty place and she goes everywhere with us.
2 yrs later she saved my life and I'll never forget that:)
So what's the GF plans now?

patagoniadave
02-06-2014, 01:53 PM
tell DW to live with the color and move on to another project because this one has all the makings of an exercise in futility.

What he said!

patagoniadave
02-06-2014, 02:07 PM
She says thanks and to send her a bone:)
I rescued her 4 yrs from a very nasty place and she goes everywhere with us.
2 yrs later she saved my life and I'll never forget that:)
So what's the GF plans now?

It will be hard to keep my dog Chase away, he has a thing for cute girl dogs. His brother will just pout, and sulk under my legs. He does not understand girls.

You will have to tell me the life saving story someday, I am a sucker for a good animal story.

Uh, she is pulling all of the hardware off, and has decided to paint all of the gold some other color. This is why I was asking about painting the vinyl, the doors are already off, but so be it. She is going to paint the wall paper accent band a solid color, and is looking into dying the fabrics.

I am working on a plan to change the queen bed into an almost king, but it is complicated due to the lack of room when the slide is closed. I think I have it ciphered though, just waiting on mattresses.

Basically, going to get two half king size mattresses, and turn them perpendicular to the way people sleep. I'll extend the bed frame the full width of the slide for one mattress, and on the front mattress, there will be a fold down extension. So when the slides are closed, I will fold down the extension in front, and stack the two mattresses in the slide portion. I think this will also make for an excellent 1/2 Murphy Bed. While she is working in the office / bedroom, we will stack the front mattress on the back one, and I will install a piano hinge halfway up the bedframe, walla, instant desk. The side extension may even end up acting as a brace when the plywood is folded up, have not got that far.

Best part of the whole thing, is I was able to come up with it on my own, without adding to my ballooning annoying question post count on the forum. I'll post pics when I start the project, may work for someone else in the future.

Festus2
02-06-2014, 03:39 PM
Dave -
For a moment there, I thought that this thread was about "Painting Wood Laminate" but somehow the topic seems to have become sidetracked into another project - changing bed size from King to Queen or Queen to King - not sure which. Oh yes, let's not forget about the dogs.

:banghead:

If you are going to ask questions about changing the bed size, please start a new thread. :eek: Thanks.

patagoniadave
02-06-2014, 03:46 PM
Dave -
For a moment there, I thought that this thread was about "Painting Wood Laminate" but somehow the topic seems to have become sidetracked into another project - changing bed size from King to Queen or Queen to King - not sure which. Oh yes, let's not forget about the dogs.

:banghead:

If you are going to ask questions about changing the bed size, please start a new thread. :eek: Thanks.

ha, I was not asking questions, just answering the question about what the next projects were. Sorry for the rambling, I will post pictures of the bed project when I start it, in a new thread.

(oh, and it was queen to king, I will send you some sketches)

dogs are always good thread hijackers, no?

Festus2
02-06-2014, 04:09 PM
ha, I was not asking questions, just answering the question about what the next projects were. Sorry for the rambling, I will post pictures of the bed project when I start it, in a new thread.

(oh, and it was queen to king, I will send you some sketches)

dogs are always good thread hijackers, no?

Dave-
Sorry if I appear confused but as you can see, I'm having trouble keeping track of all of your projects that you seem to have going on all at the same time. I have to rely on my fingers to do the counting but alas they only go up to 10 (at last count).

Thanks for the offer of the King to Queen bed sketches but if my wife sees them, she may want me to do the same thing. Not a good idea. I'll take a rain check on that project--and also the painting of the kitchen cabinets which now appears that it may not be a project after all.

Dogs are good for a lot of things. Don't blame them for hijacking threads.:D

patagoniadave
02-06-2014, 04:19 PM
Dave-
Sorry if I appear confused but as you can see, I'm having trouble keeping track of all of your projects that you seem to have going on all at the same time. I have to rely on my fingers to do the counting but alas they only go up to 10 (at last count).

Thanks for the offer of the King to Queen bed sketches but if my wife sees them, she may want me to do the same thing. Not a good idea. I'll take a rain check on that project--and also the painting of the kitchen cabinets which now appears that it may not be a project after all.

Dogs are good for a lot of things. Don't blame them for hijacking threads.:D

I know, I will calm down soon as all the little items get settled. Then it will be all trip reports and campfire stories of course. That and impressing newbies with my vast storehouse of recently attained knowledge. Apparently I am a senior member now?

Have not quite given up on the painting of the cabinets yet but it is much less urgent than it was this morning.

I have to be able to hijack my own threads, it is just how my brain goes! I do so solemnly swear to significantly cut down on the hijacking of other peoples threads.

Thanks for putting up with me Festus!

robo
02-07-2014, 04:11 AM
Rewrap them with new design
https://www.google.com/search?q=contact+paper+designs&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari#hl=en&q=contact+paper+designs&tbm=shop

Festus2
02-07-2014, 08:32 AM
Rob -
You might want to check the link you included in your post ---- doesn't work for me.

Kristi
02-07-2014, 08:57 AM
Dave- Going back to the cabinets... :p . I think changing out the hardware will make quite a difference & maybe get you out of the painting issue. Hardware, wallpaper, & fabric choices date interiors much more then cabinets. There are several threads about wallpaper boarder removal if she decides to go that route.

Bob Landry
02-07-2014, 10:21 AM
Don't fret, Festus.. I'm as confused as you are. Also as unfortunate, the next time the OP posts with an actual legit topic, few are going to take him seriously.

This is a perfect example of a thread that should have been closed a while back.

Bob Landry
02-07-2014, 10:23 AM
Maybe we have been trolled and we just don't realize it yet..

patagoniadave
02-07-2014, 11:05 AM
Maybe we have been trolled and we just don't realize it yet..

Sigh, the only one I see trolling here is you. My apologies to all for asking a lot of questions, and my obviously poor attempts at light banter. I feel that all of my posts have been legitimate, if not sometimes stupid. The stupid comes from ignorance, not malice. I have purchased my first rv, with no prior experience, and no benefit of a dealer "walk through" as it was purchased privately. I am going out on the road full time in tow or so months, and have to learn everything you all know. That, and the fact that I work in front of a computer all day is why I have a large amount of posts, in a wide variety of topics. Email alerts tell me when a thread I am subscribed to has a post, and I can quickly switch over, respond, and switch back to work. I am sorry for the very ignorant questions I have asked, and very sorry for the threads I have hi-jacked. It is all in an attempt to cram as much knowledge and safety before going out on the road. I will not apologize for my writing personality, it is who I am.

I would just like to sincerely thank everyone for all the help they have given me in threads, in pms, and just from reading old posts. You have saved me thousands of dollars already, and I believe made me much safer. My personality is obviously not a good fit here, so I will leave you to your close minded club, and go find one more welcoming.

Festus, congratulations on winning your bet, I am sorry I made you read so many posts. My advice is that instead of concentrating on how many times someone posts, or how scattered their project list is, you should check the content of the message, because if you are ok with personal insults like Bobs, then I think you are missing the point of good moderation.

Festus2
02-07-2014, 11:22 AM
This thread is now closed.

hankpage
02-07-2014, 11:45 AM
Dave, I'm sorry you feel that way. You have to understand that as moderators we have to try to stay ahead of fires and snuff them before they reach our members. Try to understand the frustration of trying to keep up with rambling posts and deciding if replies from established members are appropriate. Some folks who are trying to help get frustrated also and start to believe that they are being made fools of.
Festus2 is a man of his word so I am pretty certain he do what he said. Take the day to think things over and look at your posts from our side. We are overwhelmed as much as you. Whatever you decide, good luck with your projects. (you certainly have your hands full) As usual, JM2¢, Hank