PDA

View Full Version : Pros & Cons of Buying Site in Florida

limey
02-05-2014, 06:45 AM
We are thinking of purchasing an RV site somewhere in the vicinity of Orlando (within about 30mins of the airport). Have looked at Citrus Valley, and The Great Outdoors (TGO), but there must be others.

Looking in the under $50,000 price range, do not need golf, but would like (quiet) motorcycle tolerant - which seems to rule out TGO (fees are high anyway).

Would welcome your recommendations, as well as pros and cons of purchasing a lot vs. long term rental. The big advantage we see to purchasing is that we could take the RV down in the fall, and leave it on-site until spring, visiting as time permits (one of us is still employed)!

Hansel
02-09-2014, 06:06 PM
Not too sound like a dummy, but why are you spending that kind of money on a RV site???

I don't see any pro's:confused:

BillnDeb
02-10-2014, 05:01 AM
I'm not sure about Orlando, although we live 80 miles south from it. We've been surprised at how cheap the long term "rent" is as we've traveled a lot from Fl to VA and have talked to "settlers." The most for a year with FH was $3000-your 50,000 financed for 16 years! A few did have individual electric meters.
Consider your utilities: sewer, water, electric and cable/satellite.
There are many many many resorts here in Fl!
Debbie

CUFFS054
02-10-2014, 02:56 PM
Limey, I've had a permanent site for four years. It is in a nice park w/pool etc. I like it because I can walk out of my house, not have to pack a bunch o' crap and worry about finding a site etc. I am pro-perm-site! Plus anything in that area of FL is unlikely to loose much value.

limey
02-11-2014, 07:07 AM
Thanks CUFFS - that is exactly what we were thinking. Take the RV down around Thanksgiving and leave it on site until April or May. Mary is not yet retired, so paying for a site for 6 months, but only using it for long weekends seemed silly, this way we can go down whenever we want and not worry about it - and possibly rent it when we are not there.

Don't see it as an investment, as such, but if ten years down the line we can sell it for what we paid for it, we have had ten years of pretty cheap camping!