PDA

View Full Version : Drill for rear stabilizer?

RedRover
02-04-2014, 04:04 PM
Just purchased a new Cougar 5er yesterday with the scissor jack rear stabilizers. Some of you use cordless drills to power the stabilizers down I know and the question is, what size, power, drill do you use?
Even the cordless impact drivers I have seen are quarter inch drive and are rated in "inch pounds".
For the past ten years, I have just used the factory provided crank but am getting old and lazy and would like to pass this set up chore on to the DW.

buzzcop63
02-04-2014, 04:09 PM
3/8" DC or AC drill, make sure you find socket that fits your stabilizer and adapter to fit in socket and drill chuck. Got my drill at Harbor Freight for $20.00 and adapter bit at Sears. Its a zip to run them up or down.

cjm
02-04-2014, 04:52 PM
Use any drill, but do not use an impact driver. The hammering will eventually damage the mechanism.

fla-gypsy
02-04-2014, 06:11 PM
I use a Dewalt 18V and a 3/4 inch socket. It zips them up and down

theeyres
02-04-2014, 08:04 PM
I have the DeWalt 18V also, and a 3/4" adapter bit. You can get the bit at an RV store or on Amazon for a couple dollars.

BulletOwner1
02-04-2014, 08:21 PM
DeWalt 12V,1/4" hex drive quick connect with adapter for 3/4" socket. You don't have to have a larger drill but if that's what you have it's fine. I just happen to have the smaller one and it works great. Again, as said above don't use an impact driver.....

Pmedic4
02-04-2014, 09:04 PM
Yes, use a drill - it really doesn't take a powerful one. I have several good drills Dewalt/Porter Cable I use at home, but for my previous RV, I had a cheap one I bought at one of the big box lumber yards. Just left it in the TT and only used it for the stabilizer, and charged it when plugged into shore power.

I had tried my Dewalt impact driver, and it really didn't work right - it wanted to hammer the nut about 5-6 times before finally spinning it like a drill. I also keep thinking about putting the drill back in the 5ver, in case one of the slideout motors has a problem, as you can use a drill and an extension they send for the Cougar HC to retract the slideout.

If I could find it, I had one of the nut adapters for my previous TT I would give you, but it would probably cost as much to send it to you as you could buy one.

RedRover
02-05-2014, 02:13 AM
Thanks for the replies. Sounds as though drill size doesn't matter much. Guess I will go for a cheap Harbor Freight job and leave in the trailer.

f6bits
02-05-2014, 06:12 AM
If it's cordless, make sure you have a high-capacity one. I bought an inexpensive Ryobi, and it's only good for one go-round. I have to recharge it before the return trip to raise the jacks.

jsmith948
02-05-2014, 07:43 AM
12V DeWalt - also carry an assortment of drill bits and driver bits - you never know:)

JRTJH
02-05-2014, 07:58 AM
This socket adapter set really is a great addition to any tool box. and for $3, you can't go wrong (for cheap tools, that is) It adapts a cordless drill to any 1/4, 3/8 or 1/2" socket. This and a 3/4" socket is all you need for the rear jacks. Plus you can adapt to use any other socket. It's great for using an "impact driver" as well.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece-hex-drill-socket-drivers-68513.html

I also agree with having a bunch of "different" drill driver bits stashed away. You never know when something is going to break or need tightening.