PDA

View Full Version : Comparing AAA vs Good Sams Towing

rcbufalino
02-01-2014, 03:54 PM
I'm looking for feedback on roadside insurance AAA vs Good Sam club

skifreak76
02-01-2014, 05:19 PM
I have goodsam towing, AAA would not tow my 3500 chevy truck or my 35ft sprinter trailer. AAA would not even change a tire on my truck. because it was heavy duty?? goodsam towing would tow my truck and trailer. often the towing company that is dispatched is the same company that aaa would use. calling for service is easy with friendly people. service usually takes 20-60 min to get to you. but the service is great.

EricLynnAllison
02-01-2014, 06:54 PM
I have Allstate RV roadside assistance. They changed tires on my RV. I haven't needed a tow yet.

PARAPTOR
02-01-2014, 07:12 PM
I also have Good Sam ROADSIDE, never had AAA refuse to tow my equipment never gave them a chance. Have had AAA for family vehicles for many years. After purchasing our rig I was going to continue with AAA, until I called them one day and asked what services they would provide for a specific situation when I was towing my rig. After first hearing their answer I though the rep was kidding. You need to ask about their different programs such as max towing miles, number occurrences per year, and how they are going to address you TV and rig, etc. I rarely use the term excellent to rate services these days, but for the times I needed them they desire every bit of that rating level. Friendly people and timely timely services. Compare each ones services side by side and it will be easy to decide.

villui
02-02-2014, 04:44 AM
I have good Sam because my friend had great service with GS On vacation his Truck broke down. GS towed his TT to requested location and assisted him with rental truck to finish vacation while truck was being repaired.

Recently we had a flat and GS came within the hour.

I'm looking for feedback on roadside insurance AAA vs Good Sam club

jsmith948
02-02-2014, 04:56 AM
We have GS roadside - AAA required an $80 'upgrade' to enable us to have the 5er towed. We haven't used the GS service (knock on wood).DS also has GS. He lost a wheel bearing on his Springdale TT outside of Billings, MT. Service guy met him at the rest area and repaired his trailer with no problem. He said he really liked the service.

antiqfreq
02-02-2014, 09:46 AM
I have made other posts here on why I prefer Good Sam.

Used it several times..

Jo

Htfiremedic
02-02-2014, 05:37 PM
We have GS roadside - AAA required an $80 'upgrade' to enable us to have the 5er towed. We haven't used the GS service (knock on wood).DS also has GS. He lost a wheel bearing on his Springdale TT outside of Billings, MT. Service guy met him at the rest area and repaired his trailer with no problem. He said he really liked the service.

AAA Carolinas will not tow a 5'er at all. We left AAA and switched to GS.

Steve Hudson
Sent from my iPhone

rcbufalino
02-03-2014, 07:52 AM
Thanks for the feedback, I just called our local AAA office and to my surprise they do not cover my Dodge Dually or 5er except for fuel, lockouts and jumpstarts. We will be going to GS very soon.

Jay D
02-03-2014, 10:47 AM
Would it be better to carry both AAA and GS what else does GS offer?

tileman
02-03-2014, 10:55 AM
I use coach-net runs about 140.00 a year cover all 4 of our truck and the 5th wheel.

Had to use them back about 3 weeks ago had two blow-outs on the trailer both time from the time I called till I was back on the road was 60-80 min

Worth a look at lest "bouncey:

rcbufalino
02-03-2014, 03:22 PM
From what I am told by GS, I should be able to get an all inclusive coverage for all vehicles and RVs. Including motorcycles

tileman
02-03-2014, 03:28 PM
From what I am told by GS, I should be able to get an all inclusive coverage for all vehicles and RVs. Including motorcycles

That's a good deal then :)

summerhummer
02-02-2015, 04:55 PM
I know this thread is sort of old but I had GS for a year already. It is time to renew and I was thinking about not renewing as everytime I had to use them for my car, I had to pay a mileage fee. I thought I had a good program I.E. gold or silver but they only tow to the nearest service facility with my GS plan. My auto mechanics garage is maybe 15 miles away and I always have to pay to get my car towed there. I have not had to use them for my RV but all the time the nearest facility is not the one you want. I am not asking to get a 100 Mile tow but surely 15 miles to your trusted mechanic should be allowed for no additional mileage charges. I recall with my triple AAA roadside would tow cars up to 100 Miles with the program no questions asked but I never asked about RVs back then since I didnt have one.... I am doing some vendor shopping and if GS doesnt up the distance they will tow without additional fees I am leaving them. Not sure where I can go yet so suggestions welcome.
Thanks for reading.
J

64tbolt
02-03-2015, 01:16 PM
I am gonna go against the grain here. I have had AAA for 16 yrs. I have the plus rv membership. They will tow my cclb dually & 5th wheel 100 miles to the place of my choosing. If over 100 miles I pay for the added miles. Plus all the ordinary services like fuel delivery, batteries, tire changes etc. I just got off the phone verifying these services. :)

racin500
02-03-2015, 02:32 PM
I have both AAA RV-Plus and GS Standard assistance. I have never had to use AAA except on my auto a few times. Last year we upgraded to a dually and 5er. It never occurred to me that AAA was so limited. I did some searches on AAA RV and not everybody was very happy. Like me, they thought they were covered until they needed it.

After reading the AAA RV website FAQ & exclusions, I will probably drop AAA. I have GS standard but will probably upgrade to GS Platinum or Platinum+.

Here is a link to compare the GS options;
http://www.goodsamroadside.com/compare-best-roadside-assistance-plans/

64tbolt
02-03-2015, 10:11 PM
I have both AAA RV-Plus and GS Standard assistance. I have never had to use AAA except on my auto a few times. Last year we upgraded to a dually and 5er. It never occurred to me that AAA was so limited. I did some searches on AAA RV and not everybody was very happy. Like me, they thought they were covered until they needed it.

After reading the AAA RV website FAQ & exclusions, I will probably drop AAA. I have GS standard but will probably upgrade to GS Platinum or Platinum+.

Here is a link to compare the GS options;
http://www.goodsamroadside.com/compare-best-roadside-assistance-plans/

can you explain limited? I was on the phone with them checking this out and they said what I posted. How is that limited?

mazboy123
02-04-2015, 06:51 AM
summerhummer, wow, how many times a year does your vehicle break down anyway??? I've never had to have my car towed anywhere. and your car breaks down within 15 miles of your favorite mechanic? interesting car.

bottom line, call around and ask the different services what is covered.

GS is: "Unlimited Distance Towing to the Nearest Service Center" for ALL plans.

Javi
02-04-2015, 07:14 AM
summerhummer, wow, how many times a year does your vehicle break down anyway??? I've never had to have my car towed anywhere. and your car breaks down within 15 miles of your favorite mechanic? interesting car.

bottom line, call around and ask the different services what is covered.

GS is: "Unlimited Distance Towing to the Nearest Service Center" for ALL plans.

I'm thinkin' the platinum plus offers 100 mile to the repair place of your choice.. ;)

Keywestparrothead
02-04-2015, 07:29 AM
I use coach-net runs about 140.00 a year cover all 4 of our truck and the 5th wheel.

Had to use them back about 3 weeks ago had two blow-outs on the trailer both time from the time I called till I was back on the road was 60-80 min

Worth a look at lest "bouncey:

X2 on Coach-Net. Plus they can give phone support specific to your unit if you were having issues, with say a slide or propane regulator.

racin500
02-05-2015, 10:22 AM
OK, so I called AAA to get the scoop on their "Exclusions". As I stated above, I have both AAA RV-Plus and GS basic. I have been with AAA since 1975 and have always had good auto service so I don't want to pull the plug without good reason. This is what I got on the phone this morning from AAA;

1. AAA RV is run by the corporate office and not one of the 50+ local AAA's.
2. All pickups up to and including 1-ton are covered, including dually 4x4's for towing, tire changes...(sorry all you 450/550 or tow rigs, you're not covered).
3. 5th wheel trailers are covered and with RV, 2 trucks are dispatched for towing.
4. Nationwide coverage does NOT mean your covered in every location BUT the AAA rep is supposed to get another tow and you may need to pay and get AAA to reimburse the cost later.
5. AAA is limited to 4 calls per year. You can call more BUT you pay the cost.
6. Because an area has AAA service does not mean they have RV service.
7. Each state can have more exclusions of their own. The rep was from CA and they have problems with the definition of COMMERCIAL vs NON-COMM. and the RV tow company contracts. IE: commercial is not covered by AAA RV. This not only affects towing, but roadside assistance, tire changes etc. So, it's possible to be covered in one state and not another, BUT, the AAA rep should get you assistance, even if it means contacting a commercial service if you want them to.

The rep was great and if she didn't have an answer, she got someone who could. They also made a note in my AAA RV file that my truck and 5th wheel were to be covered for tow/assistance by the tow company. I have a 07 Chevy 3500, CC, LB, dually, 4x4 which puts me at almost 23' in length. Having the information on file will insure that the CORRECT type of tow company is sent. It' might not be the closest but your 5'er wont be left on the side of the road.

Also, a plus for me, my "non-dependent" kids can be covered by my AAA policy for a few extra bucks. And with PLUS, their even covered in someone else's vehicle as a passenger. Peace of Mind!

64tbolt
02-05-2015, 01:09 PM
I have the AAA Plus-RV and the things you stated is why I have been a member for 16 yrs. Don't want to leave my Toy hauler behind. And with a long bed CC dually they will get the job done. If you need more than 4 tows a year you are not doing your part in maintaining & prep for a trip.

socalhd
02-18-2015, 05:38 PM
AAA left me high and stranded in Kayenta AZ in 2009. We payed the extra fees for RV and Motocycle. This should have given us 100 miles of towing but because we were in AZ and the contract tow company Chief Towing was an *** we were stuck. Ended up paying a Tow Company out of pocket, cuz Chief Towing could not handle the rig.
We now have GoodSam for road service