PDA

View Full Version : Ocean Front in San Diego Area?

patagoniadave
02-01-2014, 12:36 PM
Have decided that San Diego will be a good secondary test run on our new rv after we do a couple of local trips. Searching around online for sites right now, and was curious if anyone had any reviews?

Santee Lakes may work if we do not find ocean front.

Thank you.

antiqfreq
02-01-2014, 01:04 PM
We stayed at Mission Bay RV Resort - basicly a parking lot on the bay with hook ups. (And I mean a parking lot)

We were only there 3 nights as we were on our way someplace else up north CA and went to zoo and 1-2 other places then left.

Can't say it was 'special' - just a place to park the rig and sleep. -

I'd go somewhere else if you want a 'real' campground feel -because that isn't it!-

Jo

Western Traveler
02-01-2014, 03:21 PM
Silver Strand State Beach. Just travel over the Coronado Bridge just south of downtown San Diego.
San Elijo State Park Encinitas California about 20 miles north of downtown San Diego. Campland Mission Bay (I guess re-named) a large overpriced parking lot in a so so part of the Pacific Beach area.
Those are the 3 this side of the Mexico border.

f6bits
02-01-2014, 04:31 PM
Silver Strand is tough to get into. No sewer hookup.
San Elijo (Cardiff) nice with a few full hookup atop the cliffs*– also hard to get into.
Campland has its own bayside beach. The sites farther from the beach are more spacious and not a parking lot. Easier to get reservations.

There's also Chula Vista RV. Never stayed there, but good reviews for cleanliness. Near the bay front.

Western Traveler
02-01-2014, 05:04 PM
Personally I would not recommend staying anywhere in Chula Vista even though the City has attempted to clean things up but that is me and the bay so so there.
As to an ocean campground I only mentioned Campland because the ocean is a reasonable bicycle ride away. Mission Beach and Pacific Beach. Location wise it is a good central location for seeing the sights around S.D. I admit I haven't been in the park for many years.
If in Chula Vista you have to drive to Imperial Beach or go over the Coronado Bridge to get to the Strand, the only reasonably safe beach in that area Especially At Night...

patagoniadave
02-02-2014, 09:08 AM
If it was just me, I'd find the simplest spot to pull up next to a beach and work, but we will have two 13 year olds with us, so Campland is looking to be more accommodating.

Thanks for the feedback

Vidorcom
02-02-2014, 01:05 PM
We stay in Carlsbad.45 minutes north of San Diego. Here is my thread

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5548&highlight=carlsbad

patagoniadave
02-02-2014, 01:35 PM
We stay in Carlsbad.45 minutes north of San Diego. Here is my thread

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5548&highlight=carlsbad

Very cool, but I am not setup with a generator yet. That will have to be a future trip

Festus2
02-02-2014, 01:52 PM
patagoniadave -
Are you familiar with www.rvparkreviews.com? This site gives an overview of an rv park along with reviews/ratings submitted by folks who have visited or stayed there. A handy site to keep in your "favorites".