PDA

View Full Version : Trailair Tri-Glide Fuzion 402 Install

Pulln
02-01-2014, 12:04 PM
All,

Tried my hand at installing my Tri-Glide today. This is my first camper, truck, hitch etc so I really don't have any experience to go by yet and would genuinely appreciate it if you all could lend me your opinion on this.

The install instructions were hardly instructive so I am not sure if I got it in the right hole.

See the attached.

Pulln
02-01-2014, 12:05 PM
more pix of the install

Pulln
02-01-2014, 12:06 PM
third and final pix:

Pulln
02-01-2014, 12:08 PM
I had to reuse the bolts for now but will be making a parts run soon and would like to know if there is a specific type of bolt I should be looking for.

Thank you in advance.

tileman
02-01-2014, 12:16 PM
I had to reuse the bolts for now but will be making a parts run soon and would like to know if there is a specific type of bolt I should be looking for.

Thank you in advance.

I would take one of your old bolts with you I think they are a grade #8 bolt

Festus2
02-01-2014, 12:19 PM
Pulln -
By looking at your photos, it looks -

1) like you have sufficient clearance between the truck rails and the 5th wheel overhang
2) like both the truck and 5th wheel are fairly level. Hard to tell from the pics but the nose of the 5th wheel appears to be a tad high but the unit may not be sitting on a flat, even surface. You might want to check this out by moving your truck and 5th to a flat area where you can get a good look at both of them. They should sit level or fairly close to it.

Corrections in the 5th wheel/nose high case can be made by lowering the hitch (if you can) or by raising the pin box. It would be easier if you can lower the hitch settings.
If you change either one, make sure you still have enough clearance between the truck rails and the 5th wheel overhang.

Did your instructions include a torque setting for the bolts as well as the grade of bolt to use? If the settings were included, be sure that you have tightened them up to those specified.

Pulln
02-01-2014, 12:20 PM
I would take one of your old bolts with you I think they are a grade #8 bolt

Yeah that is a good idea, I'll run back to the storage lot on the way out.

Pulln
02-01-2014, 12:28 PM
Pulln -
By looking at your photos, it looks -

1) like you have sufficient clearance between the truck rails and the 5th wheel overhang
2) like both the truck and 5th wheel are fairly level. Hard to tell from the pics but the nose of the 5th wheel appears to be a tad high but the unit may not be sitting on a flat, even surface. You might want to check this out by moving your truck and 5th to a flat area where you can get a good look at both of them. They should sit level or fairly close to it.

Corrections in the 5th wheel/nose high case can be made by lowering the hitch (if you can) or by raising the pin box. It would be easier if you can lower the hitch settings.
If you change either one, make sure you still have enough clearance between the truck rails and the 5th wheel overhang.

Did your instructions include a torque setting for the bolts as well as the grade of bolt to use? If the settings were included, be sure that you have tightened them up to those specified.

Thanks for eyeballing from across the world wide web. I didn't see any torque recommendations in what I'd call a quick install guide but before I hit the road with it I am going to find em. I carry a torque wrench and so keys with me so it is priority one for me.

After I get it bolted and torqued properly I'll hitch up and tow it to a wide open parking lot to check for level. It did seem a bit high on the nose to me as well and appreciate the tip about adjusting the hitch vs the box.

EricLynnAllison
02-01-2014, 12:28 PM
I've got the exact same setup. B&W companion hitch and all. It works well.

Pulln
02-01-2014, 12:31 PM
I've got the exact same setup. B&W companion hitch and all. It works well.

I am happy to hear this. I checked all I could with Both vendors they wouldn't really comment on this so wasn't too sure.

Festus2
02-01-2014, 01:29 PM
[QUOTE=Pulln;110568]Thanks for eyeballing from across the world wide web. I didn't see any torque recommendations in what I'd call a quick install guide but before I hit the road with it I am going to find em. I carry a torque wrench and so keys with me so it is priority one for me.

QUOTE]

Pulln -
If you can't find the torque settings, try emailing or phoning TrailAir - they should be able to provide these to you.

Pulln
02-01-2014, 07:59 PM
Thanks for the tips and the help folks.

I have a follow on question related to this tri-glide install.
Noah
The sqr box in the attached photo contains the wires for my 7pin brake and light cable. Not sure if this is the factory box or not but with the new pin box I dont have a place to secure and would really appreciate some tips on how I can better manage this cabling.

Best Regards,
Noah

jsmith948
02-02-2014, 05:44 AM
On our 5er, the junction box isn't mounted to the removable pin box. It is mounted on the frame above the pin box. Where was the jct box mounted before you changed out the pin box?

tileman
02-02-2014, 06:36 AM
Yea our junction box is on the frame above the pin box.

Pulln
02-10-2014, 10:51 AM
On our 5er, the junction box isn't mounted to the removable pin box. It is mounted on the frame above the pin box. Where was the jct box mounted before you changed out the pin box?

Mine was on the pinbox but I moved it to the mount point coming from the camper. I actually used one of the knock outs in the box to slip over the bolt that mounts the pin box, I slipped another washer and nut and tightened it down. Snug as a bug and no additional holes were needed.

We took the 5er out this weekend and was floored by how much chucking it attenuated. My wife actually drove the return trip, first time behind the wheel with the camper, and backed the 5er in on her first attempt in to a 40 x 10 space.

I love this thing and don't understand why 5ers dont come with something like from the factory.

hankaye
02-11-2014, 08:20 AM
Pulln, Howdy;

Here's some information about the head markings on the bolts;
https://www.google.com/search?q=bolt+head+markings&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:IE-SearchBox&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=Y0n6UtjNCIjhyQG0tYG4BQ&ved=0CCYQsAQ&biw=1347&bih=705&dpr=0.95
and here is a basic chart for torque values;
http://www.portlandbolt.com/technicalinformation/bolt-torque-chart.html

As always ... these are general information and the manufacturer
may have specified values that they recommend.

hankaye

Pulln
02-11-2014, 05:35 PM
Pulln, Howdy;

Here's some information about the head markings on the bolts;
https://www.google.com/search?q=bolt+head+markings&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:IE-SearchBox&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=Y0n6UtjNCIjhyQG0tYG4BQ&ved=0CCYQsAQ&biw=1347&bih=705&dpr=0.95
and here is a basic chart for torque values;
http://www.portlandbolt.com/technicalinformation/bolt-torque-chart.html

As always ... these are general information and the manufacturer
may have specified values that they recommend.

hankaye

Thank you kindly hankaye! That is great stuff. I hate to admit this but I have always wondered if those markings meant anything.