PDA

View Full Version : kitchen faucet water filter

villui
01-31-2014, 03:46 PM
Anyone has one installed and if so what brand did you use? Trying to avoid bringing cases of water. I have a 301BQ model .Don't know if the kitchen sink faucets vary.

GaryWT
01-31-2014, 04:09 PM
We just put a carbon filter out on the hose and bring the bottled water. Have thought about getting a filter water pitcher but the bottles work well for us.

hankpage
01-31-2014, 04:21 PM
We use a Pur faucet mounted filter and change the cartridge when we winterize. Bottled water while on the road.

cabinfever
01-31-2014, 04:53 PM
After our first season and running into some sediment we are going to a two filter system with a 1 micron sediment filter and a 1 micron carbon filter that attach at the CG hose bib.

http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/RCCarbonCartridge.htm

trackstand
02-01-2014, 03:15 PM
Anyone has one installed and if so what brand did you use? Trying to avoid bringing cases of water. I have a 301BQ model .Don't know if the kitchen sink faucets vary.

http://www.amazon.com/Camco-40043-TastePURE-Flexible-Protector/dp/B0006IX87S/ref=wl_mb_hu_m_1_dp

villui
02-02-2014, 04:53 AM
Thanks everyone. I was hoping to hear that a filter install of some type would eliminate need to bring bottled water. Looks like I'll get the camco and bottles.

PT RV`er
02-02-2014, 05:39 AM
http://www.amazon.com/Camco-40043-TastePURE-Flexible-Protector/dp/B0006IX87S/ref=wl_mb_hu_m_1_dp

That's the exact same one I use. Works very well.

theeyres
02-02-2014, 07:58 PM
After our first season and running into some sediment we are going to a two filter system with a 1 micron sediment filter and a 1 micron carbon filter that attach at the CG hose bib.

http://www.rvwaterfilterstore.com/RCCarbonCartridge.htm

If you do something like this you can forget the water bottles. Your water will be as pure as anything you get in a bottle. Easy solution. We used it for years while full-timing and it worked like a charm. You can get a variety of second filters depending on your need. The folks at rvwaterfilterstore are full-timers and know their business. Give them a call and leave the bottles at home!

fla-gypsy
02-04-2014, 07:19 AM
Does the RV not currently have a water filter? Most come with a filter in place already.

trackstand
02-04-2014, 09:22 AM
Does the RV not currently have a water filter? Most come with a filter in place already.

Really, I think You are wrong. please post a link to show this.

cabinfever
02-04-2014, 02:51 PM
No filter on mine. Also, the Camco 40043 does not work very well. It is only a 100 micron filter. It allowed a bunch of sediment from a CG we were at last year into the system. That is why we are going to the 2 filter system with a 1 micron rating on both the sediment and carbon filter. After the initial dual canister cost, not too bad for a season.

JRTJH
02-04-2014, 03:41 PM
The last new RV I have bought with a water filter as "standard" equipment was a 1968 Airstream. It had an Everpure water filtration system installed on the cold water faucet in the kitchen. In both my "recent model" Keystone models, a 2011 Springdale and a 2014 Cougar, there wasn't even an option of getting a water filter from the factory. Of course any dealership will be happy to install one for additional charges, but very few, if any Keystone RV's come "standard" with a water filter installed.

I know many people feel the need to have "clean" water for drinking, and I wouldn't criticize anyone for their desires, but I have to question how we ever managed for the past 60+ years with city water and/or well water and no filter at home. I'm not trying to minimize the desire, but after a lifetime of "drinking from the garden hose" and believing in "chlorine to safely protect my health", I have to wonder how we make it without cases of plastic bottles filled with "unknown" water from WalMart to stay healthy while camping...... If you've kept a few of those plastic bottles around after they are empty and stored them in the sunlight, you'll notice that they smell remarkably like the local dump when they are warm and in an enclosed area. Are those plastic bottles really any safer for our health than the garden hose? I well remember the scares a couple of years ago with BPA, PBDE and a host of other chemical agents found in plastics. And, <shudder> what about the Styrofoam cup we pour hot coffee into every day? Styrene is leached into the coffee. Styrene is a potent neurotoxin that can cause significant problems in some people. So, is the water really the "issue" ???

I have to ask, is a "high dollar" filter system that sits stagnant and growing bacteria during the week (when not used) any safer or healthier than drinking from the garden hose? Maybe it's more a matter of "feeling safe" rather than "being safe" ????

hankpage
02-04-2014, 04:09 PM
I let the brewery worry about filtration and only buy in glass bottles. http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=251&pictureid=1113

Javi
02-04-2014, 04:38 PM
I have to ask, is a "high dollar" filter system that sits stagnant and growing bacteria during the week (when not used) any safer or healthier than drinking from the garden hose? Maybe it's more a matter of "feeling safe" rather than "being safe" ????

Yep.... "bouncey:

fla-gypsy
02-04-2014, 07:01 PM
Really, I think You are wrong. please post a link to show this.

Please review this pic of my 2006 Keystone Hornet el cheapo trailer and notice the water tap next to the kitchen faucet. It is hooked directly to a factory installed water filter under the cabinet. There wasn't many options available on this trailer, this was standard equipment. Considering how cheap it was I suspect a water filter is available on most RV's. I went and did some checking and Forest River offers water filtration as a option on some brands. Didn't see any mention of it looking at the Keystone site but I didn't look too long

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_110989_0_7a627f2d2aec814a82d6d43212cc7130.jpg

denverpilot
02-05-2014, 12:08 AM
I've seen an option for the Keystones that puts a filter on the output of the pump.

The 2014 Laredo 312RE is not equipped with such.

Appreciate the thoughts everyone. I'm not squeamish about drinking my own well water or most any other water, so that's not an issue.

I was just mostly curious if anyone else had very hard water and decided it was worth doing anything about it on the TT for water system longevity. Didn't know if RV pumps and what-not have any differences that don't like hard water.

Sounds like some do; some don't. Also sounds like other than for personal preference, it's no big deal.

Again, thanks.

FullTimeTim
02-05-2014, 11:56 AM
I just recently installed a reverse osmosis system under my sink as to eliminate the need for buying bottled water. I got lucky because all I had to do was remove the soap dispenser, which made a hole for the water dispenser. I bought mine at the local Costco. It was very easy to install with a little patience and basic handyman skill. It cost somewhere between $150-180 and I don't regret the purchase! "bouncey:

http://www.premierh2o.com/premier-531411-ro-pure-reverse-osmosis-system/

Steve S
02-05-2014, 12:30 PM
I let the brewery worry about filtration and only buy in glass bottles. http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=251&pictureid=1113

::) I like your way of thinking:):)

Inherentwired1
02-05-2014, 03:37 PM
Pick up a inline filter at Lowes or your local hardware store...it is usually cheaper than the RV store, and there's no difference.

superbob
02-05-2014, 05:55 PM
Culligan RV-EZ-3 EZ-Change RV Drinking Water Filtration System (http://www.amazon.ca/Culligan-RV-EZ-3-EZ-Change-Filtration-3-Advanced/dp/B002Q0XSNS)
I installed this in our trailer. It comes with a stub for winterizing and seems to work well. I bought a different tap from Lowes to match the trailer taps.

Bluewater
02-05-2014, 06:15 PM
Maybe only the hi end units come with a filter preinstalled.

Javi
02-05-2014, 06:25 PM
Maybe only the hi end units come with a filter preinstalled.

I can testify that my Passport 2890RL did not come with a filter installed or otherwise. Nor has any been installed, I did try a couple of the in line filters but soon drew the conclusion that allowing a wet filter to sit for a month between uses was at best a stupid idea. I threw them away and quit worrying about it. Afterall I grew up drinking from a shallow well, cisterns, and garden hoses. I doubt I'll die from drinking water from a campground faucet.

JRTJH
02-05-2014, 07:22 PM
Afterall I grew up drinking from a shallow well, cisterns, and garden hoses. I doubt I'll die from drinking water from a campground faucet.

hehe Me too, just don't go to Old Mexico and drink the campground water without adding a good sized dose of "to kill ya" to the glass ARRRRRIBAAAA

nickyy99
06-04-2014, 03:11 PM
For kitchen uses a water filtration system that mounts on faucet, such as Pur or Brita, have so many problems to install
WATER FILTER REVIEWS AND INFORMATION (http://www.ezdia.com/epad/water-filter-reviews-information-water-filter-system/6864/)

monica4patience
06-05-2014, 07:11 AM
We just traded our 2010 Outback 310BHS for a 2014 Passport 3290BH. On the old trailer we used a line filter on the CG hose; plus used a Brita filter pitcher. The pitcher made drinkable water but took up lots of room on the counter. We asked Camping World about options. They steered us away from the filter system with the faucet (we had used this in two of our stick & brick homes). Said that most people were dissatisfied because the water just trickled out due to low water pressure. His recommendation was for an under-the-sink filter. This filters all the water coming to the kitchen sink. It works great so far.. for the few days we've been able be at the trailer.

JRTJH
06-05-2014, 07:27 AM
We just traded our 2010 Outback 310BHS for a 2014 Passport 3290BH. On the old trailer we used a line filter on the CG hose; plus used a Brita filter pitcher. The pitcher made drinkable water but took up lots of room on the counter. We asked Camping World about options. They steered us away from the filter system with the faucet (we had used this in two of our stick & brick homes). Said that most people were dissatisfied because the water just trickled out due to low water pressure. His recommendation was for an under-the-sink filter. This filters all the water coming to the kitchen sink. It works great so far.. for the few days we've been able be at the trailer.

The Everpure filter system in our Airstream was like that. It filtered all the water to the "COLD TAP" on the kitchen sink. It did not filter any of the hot water. You might want to verify your application, to filter both hot and cold water would require two separate filters. I'd think your system only filters the cold water to the kitchen faucet.

One suggestion, if you haven't already done it, is to always carry a spare filter. When you get into a place with a lot of sediment in the water, you can plug the filter very quickly. Having a spare filter available can be the difference in washing dishes in water so hot you can't put your hands in or carrying cold water from the bathroom to the kitchen sink.

monica4patience
06-05-2014, 09:49 AM
The Everpure filter system in our Airstream was like that. It filtered all the water to the "COLD TAP" on the kitchen sink. It did not filter any of the hot water. You might want to verify your application, to filter both hot and cold water would require two separate filters. I'd think your system only filters the cold water to the kitchen faucet.

One suggestion, if you haven't already done it, is to always carry a spare filter. When you get into a place with a lot of sediment in the water, you can plug the filter very quickly. Having a spare filter available can be the difference in washing dishes in water so hot you can't put your hands in or carrying cold water from the bathroom to the kitchen sink.

Will check the connection on the next trip out.

Thanks for the suggestion. Wish we'd had an extra filter on-hand last summer. Really needed it for the last weekend out. Boy did that water smell!

trackstand
06-05-2014, 02:32 PM

Some have it as an option, 90% of RVs have no filter from the factory.