PDA

View Full Version : Winter cross country trip

sbmarks3
01-27-2014, 03:21 PM
I've been waiting on the call to head out on the 2700 mile trip to Portland, Oregon. Well I got the call today, will head out in the morning just as our area (Atlanta) is about to get hit with snow.
I finished up an extensive under belly makeover and the trailer is winterized. Thanks to FullTimer I have a pretty good idea what to expect weather wise. It looks like mostly just very cold until about Cheyenne, WY. then the snow starts and continues until about Twin Fall, ID.
I've pulled in the snow before but try to avoid it if I can, it will wear you out and it is just a lot more dangerous period.
This forum with all of it's great questions and many intelligent contributors of answers has be very helpful and enjoyable to be a small part of.
Stay warm everyone.
Tracy

MIKEPATC
01-27-2014, 06:32 PM
Safe Travels !!
I am hoping to make it from Wisconsin to Arizona next January (2015).

sbmarks3
01-27-2014, 06:52 PM
Safe Travels !!
I am hoping to make it from Wisconsin to Arizona next January (2015).
Thanks,
January is a good time to be in AZ. I'm from Phoenix originally and work in WI a lot, too cold right now.
Good luck to you

Kristi
01-28-2014, 06:53 AM
Drive safe and have a great trip! :wave:

MIKEPATC
01-28-2014, 08:10 AM
Yes ...... I sit here at -11 degrees after shoveling the driveway and dream of the desert.
I retired last April but DW won't retire until the end of 2014. After that I think we will turn into official "Snowbirds" and head for Tucson or Phoenix for the winter.

crash
01-29-2014, 05:09 AM
Drive safe and keep a good grip on the steering wheel.:D

FullTimer
02-04-2014, 10:29 AM
Oops just saw this buddy, hope the trip went well and you guys are snug as a bug up there. Let us know how the trailer does, so we can make sure we take care of whatever on ours lol.

sbmarks3
02-04-2014, 12:19 PM
The trip went well, I made it to north Western Oregon. I got snowed in at La Grande, OR. For 24 hours as the pass had a chains required condition for trucks pulling trailers. No one had chains that would fit my 20" wheels. You also have to put them on one of your trailer axles. It was my bad that I did not know it is required equipment here this time of year. I drove on a lot of ice and snow in WY. Thankful for the four wheel drive. I did have one casualty, I burned out my water heater eliment, I thought the tank was full... I was wrong. It only takes a minute to burn them out. I will be searching for advice on that one soon. Thanks.
Tracy