PDA

View Full Version : Our First New Travel Trailer

trackstand
01-26-2014, 11:47 AM
Hello all

We picked up Our new 2014 Keystone Passport Grand Touring 2910BH last November. dealer prepped it for winter and We stored it right away. so looking forward to March and Our first nights sleeping in it. is there anything We should look out for? thanks 4886

trackstand
01-26-2014, 12:25 PM
going to add these as soon as the weather breaks.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BUQODG/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2LPVBBJ2LPHDF&coliid=I2WNLQ3FLMC1O6

Sherwood
01-26-2014, 12:43 PM
Congrats on the new purchase! Is this your first camper? I'm also looking to get a couple of vent covers as I really don't what to worry about rain getting into my trailer in the middle of the night or when I forget to put it down at home. That will be my first purchase when the weather here in Michigan breaks.

trackstand
01-26-2014, 12:48 PM
Congrats on the new purchase! Is this your first camper? I'm also looking to get a couple of vent covers as I really don't what to worry about rain getting into my trailer in the middle of the night or when I forget to put it down at home. That will be my first purchase when the weather here in Michigan breaks.

Nope Our third, first was a 12' pop up. then a 1998 24' coachman futra that We just sold. We have acreage up in Baldwin Mi. which is where it will spend most of its time. :D

Sherwood
01-26-2014, 01:07 PM
Nope Our third, first was a 12' pop up. then a 1998 24' coachman futra that We just sold. We have acreage up in Baldwin Mi. which is where it will spend most of its time. :D
Haha, kind of sounds like us. We also started with a 12" pop up and then went to a 29' Jayco Jayflight and then last year we got our Cougar 31SQB. We live in Grass Lake which is in Jackson County.

trackstand
01-26-2014, 01:14 PM
Haha, kind of sounds like us. We also started with a 12" pop up and then went to a 29' Jayco Jayflight and then last year we got our Cougar 31SQB. We live in Grass Lake which is in Jackson County.

Wow We drove right thro Jackson when We picked it up a General rv up north of Detroit :party:

Sherwood
01-26-2014, 01:23 PM
Wow We drove right thro Jackson when We picked it up a General rv up north of Detroit :party:
Ha! Thats funny. Small world.

tileman
01-26-2014, 02:40 PM
Nice trailer :)

We had the dealer add in like 3 of the vents you are getting they are nice
when it rains and the vent is left open "bouncey:

fla-gypsy
01-26-2014, 06:03 PM
You may want to read up on how to de-winterize for when the time comes.

RGene7001
01-26-2014, 08:05 PM
Hello all

We picked up Our new 2014 Keystone Passport Grand Touring 2910BH last November. dealer prepped it for winter and We stored it right away. so looking forward to March and Our first nights sleeping in it. is there anything We should look out for? thanks 4886

Welcome to the club!
You may consider doing a few things while you have time:
1. Put memory foam on all sleeping surfaces you are planning to use.
2. Seal kitchen and bathroom countertops around the edge with epoxide glue or other material, water will eventually come in and delaminate them. Edge can be removed and later put back in after the sealing material is applied.
3. Kitchen drawer slides are likely to fail, unless Keystone changed them. The steel they made of is too thin. In my case they failed after the first trip and I used stronger slide from the Home Depot to replace them.
4. You may want to have a true kitchen exhaust but it will depend on how much cook.
Otherwise Passports GT are very nice units for the weight.

trackstand
01-27-2014, 11:52 AM
Welcome to the club!
You may consider doing a few things while you have time:
1. Put memory foam on all sleeping surfaces you are planning to use.
2. Seal kitchen and bathroom countertops around the edge with epoxide glue or other material, water will eventually come in and delaminate them. Edge can be removed and later put back in after the sealing material is applied.
3. Kitchen drawer slides are likely to fail, unless Keystone changed them. The steel they made of is too thin. In my case they failed after the first trip and I used stronger slide from the Home Depot to replace them.
4. You may want to have a true kitchen exhaust but it will depend on how much cook.
Otherwise Passports GT are very nice units for the weight.

:confused:

karen.b.anderson
01-28-2014, 09:10 PM
Congrats on your new purchase! We have the 2012 model and love it. The mattresses are pitiful, though. Memory foam makes it all better! I also have 3m command hooks everywhere for the million towels we always seem to need to dry (and keys, dog leashes, bags...). I'm always paranoid about drilling holes, and the 3m command products work great with no holes required! Enjoy!

Sherwood
01-28-2014, 09:43 PM
Ahhh!!! The 3M-Command products! I'm with you on that one. I hate to drill holes and these things work awesome. Have several in my camper and at home.

RGene7001
01-31-2014, 05:14 PM
:confused:
Ok. This problem did not show up right away, but during our 70 day seasonal stay the bathroom countertop got destroyed due to constant presence of water on it and the only way it could get inside is through unsealed gap between the countertop and the plastic edge. The countertop was replaced under warranty but I sealed it and hope that it will prevent the problem from happening in the future or at least delay it

rickyict
01-31-2014, 06:21 PM
Would sealing the countertops be a good idea for any of the Keystone lineup? We have a 2012 Hornet that doesn't appear to have any problems yet but any preventative measures I'm sure would be a good idea.

chartrand
02-02-2014, 06:44 PM
Would sealing the countertops be a good idea for any of the Keystone lineup? We have a 2012 Hornet that doesn't appear to have any problems yet but any preventative measures I'm sure would be a good idea.

I read about several problems with counter tops I the forums, seems that sealing them would be a good idea. I've not done mine yet, what product do you all recommend?

Pat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

spappy
02-16-2014, 08:11 AM
Congrats! Nice looking rig! On the vent covers, do you actually have to drill into the roof? I'm sort of paranoid about stuff like that, but would love to get the covers.
Thanks
Spap

JRTJH
02-16-2014, 08:43 AM
Congrats! Nice looking rig! On the vent covers, do you actually have to drill into the roof? I'm sort of paranoid about stuff like that, but would love to get the covers.
Thanks
Spap

Spappy,

There are several styles of vent covers. Some you do have to drill (or screw) into the roof to attach, some attach to the sides of the aluminum vent frame and some slip under the existing vent. I would recommend the kind that attach to the vent frame, that way there's no "extra holes" to develop a leak.

Marlinmike
02-16-2014, 05:18 PM
Ahhh!!! The 3M-Command products! I'm with you on that one. I hate to drill holes and these things work awesome. Have several in my camper and at home.

After having our rig for about a year now and we're still finding needs for putting up more of these things :) Just picked up a couple at Home Depot today for hats.

spappy
02-16-2014, 09:31 PM
John, Thanks so much for the info. I definitely think i can handle an install like that. Appreciate the info. (tx)
Spap

LABSRUS
02-18-2014, 12:00 PM
Congratulations on the new travel trailer!

We installed:
Vent covers on all of the vents on the roof.
Mud dauber covers on all of the exhaust vents outside the camper.

Enjoy! "bouncey:

lspajm
02-18-2014, 05:43 PM
Where did you find your vent covers? I cannot seem to find any that fit my 2011 Passport 3220BH. Thanks

trackstand
02-18-2014, 06:20 PM
Where did you find your vent covers? I cannot seem to find any that fit my 2011 Passport 3220BH. Thanks

I just ordered two of these, great reviews and easy install. "bouncey:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BUQODG/ref=oh_details_o04_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

cmerkert
02-20-2014, 07:39 PM
We just bought a 2014 31SQB also! How does your 1500 pull it? I pull with a '13 Avalanche LTZ, which is also a 1/2 ton 1500. Not bad, with equilizer 4 point WD hitch and tranny temp does not get too hot. How about you?

Sherwood
02-20-2014, 09:30 PM
We just bought a 2014 31SQB also! How does your 1500 pull it? I pull with a '13 Avalanche LTZ, which is also a 1/2 ton 1500. Not bad, with equilizer 4 point WD hitch and tranny temp does not get too hot. How about you?
My 1500 pulls it real nice. I dont do any major hills and my travels are within 2 1/2 hours. I normally drive with one hand on the wheel as it drives that easy. I hear those Equalizer's are pretty nice. My Reese dual cam setup once dialed in works really nice. Tranny temps only hit 200 on the hottest days and thats when I hit stop and go traffic. I sure do love our camper though. Set up perfect for us. I just wished I had that newer nose like yours. Seems like its more aerodynamic.

srvnt
02-23-2014, 05:00 PM
Lots of mods to do on a new trailer! But stuff i encountered:

Our shower enclosure leaked BAD at the seams where they missed caulking some spots luckily I caught it right away and caulked everywhere including where they don't at the shower pan. You should test it before you use it.

I've heard that using the black water flush could break the vacuum breaker (black check valve located under the bathroom sink) and send water into the cabin so watch that (I'm gunna change that out soon as a precaution)

Check for TSB's and recall stuff like door lock recall (I had new locks sent to me AND they key them the same so no more multiple keys!), awning recall, leveler recall, etc.

I am going to add a range hood vent myself. You can do a search and DIY.

We bought this $100 mattress to go on top of the oem one and it fells better than our $3,000 house one!: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Spa-Sensations-Memory-Foam-Mattress/4569415

Always keep your wheels chocked when not hooked up and I don't recommend you rest the tongue jack on slippery plastic leveling pads. (I ALMOST had it slip off once)

Install a good anti sway / WDH system.

Check out my mods.

Welcome!

jjr
02-24-2014, 04:58 PM
We have a 2012 2910bh and are very happy with it. Two really easy but useful space creating mods you may like.

1. pulled the fabric loose below the couch, just the sides. Now we have a bunch of space for large tupperware containers full of towels and misc. Stuff.

2. I was tired of lifting the mattress and topper to get to the storage under the bed. I removed the luan board on the side of the master bed, reinforced the top board holding the mattress and then added a piece of fabric where the luan was. This area now serves as a place to store our laundry baskets.

Happy camping in your new rig.

wms
02-24-2014, 06:45 PM
Congrats on your new Passport! We purchased our 2014 GT 2650BH last July and love every minute we get to spend in it. We are itching to take it out once again and have a long weekend planned in mid March for it's spring shakedown.

We started out with an 18' Palomino High Side pop up, then moved to a 25' Outback by Liteway, and now we have our Passport.

Best of luck with your new camper! I hope you enjoy yours as much as we are enjoying ours.

audio1der
03-04-2014, 11:50 AM
Congrats on the purchase! We absolutely love our 3220BH.
I do need to replace the kitchen drawer glides but other than that we've had not one problem.