PDA

View Full Version : Adding tv to master suite

chris7913
01-25-2014, 02:48 PM
I am the proud owner of a 2013 Sprinter 320bhs. There is a bunk area in the front, mid living space and rear queen bedroom. The tv that comes with the coach is installed on the wall that backs onto the bunk area. I like to watch a movie before bed but our 14 month old sleeps in the bunk area and i dont wanna wake him. So I decided to install a 24" with built in dvd player and a tv mount that i picked up at best buy.

I mounted it on the wardrobe over head cabinet in the bedroom. The cabinet already has a 110 volt and an R6 coxial outlet. I fished the existing R6 cable up inside the wardrobe paneling to the over head cabinet, and the factory R6 is now a dummy plate. I then pulled the 110 plug that is wired in series with the rest of the plugs. I removed one of the wires and fished it up into the over head and fished a new wire from the over head to the existing plug. Once both plugs are wired the series would be complete again.

I found black plugs and face plates at the Lowes here in Canada to match the factory ones in the coach. I installed them on wall mounted outlet rings from a company called Wire Mould that I also got at Lowes. They are white plastic but are paintable so I spray painted them satin black.

While at Lowes I picked up a 3' piece of pine wood, walnut stain and satin polyurethane. I removed 2 of the cabinet doors from the over head and cut the pine to fill in the hole. I cut the extra wood into strips as backing to fill in the cabinet door opening (screwed the pieces to the inside of the cabinet to screw the new pine to). I drilled a 1 1/2" hole for a wire grommet and bolt holes for the tv mount thru the new pine before staining. Couple days after stain and polyurethane to dry I installed wire grommet and tv mount bracket and screwed into place inside the trailer.

wallet14
01-25-2014, 04:12 PM
Looks nice. Great job.

GaryWT
01-26-2014, 10:47 AM
Sorry but I have to ask, why didn't you put the tv on the counter as they planned when they made the trailer?

chris7913
01-26-2014, 07:36 PM
Sorry but I have to ask, why didn't you put the tv on the counter as they planned when they made the trailer?

I wanted to have a permanent location higher up. The counter height is flush with the bed and hard to see the tv while laying down.

GaryWT
01-27-2014, 05:44 AM
Interesting but not surprised as I don't believe RV designers are campers, otherwise they would design differently. The install looks good.