PDA

View Full Version : cables frayed then broken

bku
01-24-2014, 12:57 PM
We bought our Montana brand new Feb-2013, It's a beautiful 5th wheel. We have had people ask to look inside, and of course we show it off. We have taken two trips with it so far, and have had the cables break on us each trip. it's back in the shop now getting its 4th new cable. This is happening on both cable driven slides
Is there a fix for this, or is this a manufacturer defect?
has anyone else had this problem multiple times, with this same model?

tileman
01-24-2014, 01:00 PM
Hi and :wlcm: to the site.

I do not have the unit you have but it sounds like to me something is not lined up right for it to snap 4 cables.

Good luck on a fix.

Ron
01-24-2014, 06:09 PM
Frame Flex causes this problem, been there done that x2. Your dealer needs to see if there is movement in the front end around the goose neck area. When hooked to the tow vehicle, run your front slide out, check behind the rubber wiper seal against the slide in the lower left corner and see if the slide frame has pulled apart, if so the slide is also flexing up and down when traveling down the road and the slide frame is rubbing against the cable causing it to fray and eventually break, good luck..

stlucia
01-24-2014, 06:41 PM
Where is the cable fraying, then eventually breaking?

I've also had multiple cable breaks and I think, after a year and half, that I've determined the issue. With my cables, they (keystone) crimped the sheath that rest around the cable next to the slide frame too much and it stressed the cable to the point that it caused the fray and eventually the break.