PDA

View Full Version : Adding Exterior Ladder?

Wally15
01-23-2014, 04:08 AM
Hi, Newbie here. Recently purchased a used '13 Laredo 308RE. Had some nice options (50 amps was a big plus) but doesn't have a ladder to access the roof. I'm thinking I need to add one since one of our prime camping areas will have lots of trees overhanging. What structural mods need to be done to add a ladder? Or is the TT already reinforced for the ladder and I just need to find out where to get one and where to install it.
Note: I searched the forum for answers before posting this question but I haven't quite gotten my "sea legs" yet on navigating the site. If the answer is already out there, someone please point me in the right direction.
Thanks in advance,

ctpd814
01-23-2014, 04:46 AM
First of all welcome to the forum:wlcm:

I believe that most have found that if your unit did not come with a ladder, that there is not adequate bracing to add one. Here is a thread and several members solutions to the problem.

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13529&highlight=ladder

Hope this helps and enjoy the new unit.

WaltBennett
01-23-2014, 05:16 AM
Not just rear wall bracing, but the roof may not be able to support your weight. Making things light means leaving a lot of that kind of stuff out.

Wally15
01-23-2014, 05:21 AM
First of all welcome to the forum:wlcm:

I believe that most have found that if your unit did not come with a ladder, that there is not adequate bracing to add one. Here is a thread and several members solutions to the problem.

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?t=13529&highlight=ladder

Hope this helps and enjoy the new unit.
Thx for the link...and warm welcome

JRTJH
01-23-2014, 06:08 AM
Good Morning,

First of all, welcome to the forum and to Keystone RVing. Look around the forum and you'll find a wealth of information about almost any aspect of your fifth wheel, how to use, maintain, modify and enjoy it.

As for installing a rear ladder, you've already been given a link to the subject, there are more, just use the search feature and modify what you're asking for to get better results.

If I were you and had my "heart set on installing a rear ladder" the first thing I'd do is contact customer service at Keystone to ask whether or not your RV is designed with the reinforcing needed to carry the weight/stress of a ladder. They can give you all the information you need. Whether you intend to do the work or have it done by your dealer, I'd suggest you get the factory's opinion first. Some dealers, not all, will gladly install a ladder, then let you know that it really shouldn't be used because it "might not hold up" .... Yes, I know, but there are some dealerships out there who put profit above customer service. Not all are that way, but until you have a good relationship with the dealer, can you trust his judgement or not????

You can call or write Keystone at this address:

Customer Service
2425 Davis Drive
PO Box 2000
Goshen, IN 46527-2000

Phone (toll free): (866) 425-4369

Again, welcome to the forum, we're glad you decided to join us.

Wally15
01-23-2014, 07:10 AM
First of all, welcome to the forum and to Keystone RVing. Look around the forum and you'll find a wealth of information about almost any aspect of your fifth wheel, how to use, maintain, modify and enjoy it.

Thanks for the info! BTW, it's a TT, not a 5W. Since the Laredo brand is both, is there a way I should distinguish between the two in my posts or signature (besides the model #)?

Festus2
01-23-2014, 08:13 AM
Mike -

Hello and welcome to the forum.
I believe you mentioned in another post that you were going to leave your TT in a site for at least a year before taking it out on the road and travelling with it. In this case, I would have a look at purchasing something like a telescoping or foldable ladder for getting on and off the roof.

These ladders are fairly light and compact and can be easily stored under your TT. They aren't overly cheap but I am sure they would still be less expensive than buying and installing a permanent ladder IF you are able to do that.

These telescoping ladders, when telescoped to their compact size area small enough to be taken with you when you eventually decide to travel with your TT.

Something to think about.

(PS - Camping World sells them but I'm sure others do as well)

PPS - Just add "TT" to the model and that will let everyone know.

Bob Landry
01-23-2014, 11:54 AM
The telescoping ladder works for me. I didnt have to worry about reinforcing anything, it stores under the bed when not needed, and I can move it around to wherever I need to use it.

Keystone has the information but getting them to tell you anything is very unlikely. With them it's always a warranty issue(voided), or liability(CYA) and they will tell you to contact your dealer and we know the hidden dangers in going that route.