PDA

View Full Version : What do you look for when searching for a campground?

bigracenut
01-21-2014, 05:19 AM
What is the biggest thing that attracts you to a particular campground? If you owned a campground, what would you do to attract campers?

Jay D
01-21-2014, 06:10 AM
Activities for the kids 17-14 and 8

2014Fuzion300
01-21-2014, 06:15 AM
Bike trails, shaded sites, quiet and clean!

hankpage
01-21-2014, 06:16 AM
#1: Location, Location, Location.
#2: Clean, Friendly and fair prices .... Just a campground, not competing with resorts .... I'd probably loose my shirt. http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=251&pictureid=1167

byrdr1
01-21-2014, 08:15 AM
1: Location
2: Clean, Friendly and fair prices .... Just a campground, not competing with resorts.
I have camped at a resort style CG these last few years and the price was reasonable but it(they) keep pushing the families out of it to reach that large MH crowd that stays year round and a lot of the sites we used to stay in are NOW year round lease sites. I understand you gotta pay the bills. BUT!!
3: Clean bathhouses, even though I have my own, I still like a nice long HOT shower once and while, Just sometimes I like the space a Clean bathroom offers me. :)
4: I enjoy a larger style campsites that is pull through, with at least a concrete or blacktop Level parking pad for the camper. the rest of site can be pea gravel or grass but If it's grass you need a concrete or blacktop area with picnic table on it. BUT I not opposed to a back in site just makes a show for everyone to watch me back the 5er up. As long as you have room in the front or roadway for the swing of my truck& trailer.
NC state parks does a good job on this one. Sometimes they need to bring a weed eater to clean up the grassy areas..BUT over all they do a good job on the ones I go to.
5: Cable TV would be nice but not a deal breaker( I have a satellite) and a working power pedestal, 20/30/50a all wired right.
6: a nice road way in and around the campground, not some back road washed out gullies with a site thrown here and there.
you asked
Randy

koko
01-21-2014, 08:30 AM
Clean; lots of shade trees, especially if it's hot; wide spaces with as much grass as possible; even if we're there for an attraction and need to drive a bit, we still like to stay in a quiet, country setting but with decent roads to get us there; nice personnel; pet friendly; at least cell coverage. We're from the west but recently traveled east. There are some really breathtaking campgrounds along the east coast, mainly because of all the trees!

LABSRUS
01-21-2014, 08:34 AM
The cleanliness and updates of the bath house is an indication of a good campground to us; it pretty much indicates the care that is taken throughout.
Large, level sites with lots of woods and privacy between them.
Enforced quiet hours.
Trails to walk on in and around the campground for our dogs.

fla-gypsy
01-21-2014, 11:55 AM
A clean natural setting with trees for shade and a good swimming hole. I spend most of my camping time at a north Florida freshwater spring or a Gulf of Mexico beach. It's the joy of Florida living.

Kristi
01-21-2014, 11:56 AM
Paved roads, shade trees, defined campsites, and space between sites (I don't want to feel like I camping in a parking lot) walking trails are great, too.

Mark TC
01-21-2014, 02:48 PM
I look at what all it offers such as hook ups fishing trails for hiking and I also look at the camp ground on google earth to pick a spot out. I do not like being right on top of someone. I need a little space and if possible wooded or trees and on lake

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

fredetteb
01-21-2014, 05:15 PM
What is the biggest thing that attracts you to a particular campground? If you owned a campground, what would you do to attract campers?

The first thing we look for when inquiring about a campground, is whether or not they accept large dogs. We have 2 German Shepherds and a surprising number of campgrounds only accept smaller dogs. Both of ours are trained and AKC registered “Good Citizens” but many campgrounds will not allow them because of their size and/or breed. It would be nice to see more “dog friendly” amenities, like fenced dog runs and play areas.

I understand that campgrounds are businesses, and must have enough sites to make a profit, but many try to pack too many sites in too little a space. Like most we enjoy large roomy sites with plenty of grass and trees. Camping should feel natural and organic not a sterile concrete landscape stacked in row upon row of parking lot.

One of the nicest features I've seen at a campground is a “group camp” area. It had a central courtyard with 4 campsites on each side. The sites all faced the center to make a private area for gathering. We often go camping with 2-3 others and being able to have a common area for eating and entertaining is a real bonus.

I think that campgrounds in the future are going have to adapt to the larger units that are available now. Our current combo (in signature below) totals about 60ft combined, and it can be difficult finding a suitable area to park, unload, and unhook. This is especially true of state/federal park campgrounds.

By and large most every campground we've stayed in as been clean, friendly and well maintained. Those that are sub-par usually close quickly or become full time low-rent trailer parks. For the most part as long as the staff keeps the grounds maintained and the check-in is handled in a timely manner we don't have any complaints.

Our dream spot would be a private 2-3 acre lot on the coast. . . oh well, guess we keep dreaming and go camping at Edisto Beach.

JRTJH
01-21-2014, 05:53 PM
OK, So far it's been "things I want" Here's some "things I don't want":

I don't want my awning to end at the neighbor's electric pole.

I don't want a sign that says no awning mats when the only grass is in the cracks under my RV.

I don't want dirt under the awning, you know, the kind that turns to mud even with the morning dew.

I don't want a long list of "rules" and find that everyone pretty much ignores the rules and does as they wish.

I don't want a "well worn" path right next to my awning that leads to the bathhouse.

I don't want a campground host that insists he knows how to best guide me into the site. In fact, I don't want the host to help (unless I ask for help).

I don't want to have to park my tow vehicle across the street and up 4 spaces.

I don't want someone weed eating the "rocks" where there's no grass at 7AM slinging stuff all over my lawn furniture as we try to drink our first cup of coffee.

I don't want the neighbor to walk over with two beers and a folding chair at supper time.

I don't want to hear dogs barking all night long (and all day long) when the sign says, "Do not leave your pets unattended".

I don't want my utilities to be 2 sites down and have to unhook the neighbors water hose to add a "Y" fitting to get water for my RV when I paid for "full hookups"

That's a few, and no, I'm not antisocial, but when I want to "get away" that doesn't mean "move to another 'portable suburbia"......

Steve S
01-21-2014, 06:11 PM
If I can see my neighbors I won't camp there, I need my trees.
Here in B.C it's pretty easy to find wooded campgrounds where no one bothers you and you don't need to book a year in advance.

rode2nowhere
01-22-2014, 03:29 AM
flat and level:)

Western Traveler
01-22-2014, 11:37 AM
Level site shaded by trees blocking the view of the neighboring sites with fishing and hiking close by and few amenities other than an awesome view.

cabinfever
01-22-2014, 12:44 PM
We like trees and prefer a short/ wide site over a long narrow one. Also prefer level, but if going anywhere go uphill. If the site goes downhill the outside kitchen gets a little high, especially for us short people!...LOL

Jca3
01-26-2014, 08:49 AM
I don't want to be packed in rows with my slide touching the other person's trailer and a tiny patch of lawn identical to the other site. We stay in state/federal/national parks instead of private because the private ones seem to want to pack as many in as they can. I like trees, bushes to hide the view of the other person's site.
We gravitate to places with water views -- river, ocean or lake to the back of us (we have a large back window) or to the side. I just love to look at water and have our morning coffee looking at the birds or hearing the surf.
We don't need much, but do like electric sites, water is nice too. Dump sites are really important but I only pull into private camps for the washer/dryer option. Never use public showers or bath.
I agree with others who said they are getting away and the less we hear or see of others and can concentrate on nature we are happy campers.

Hansel
01-28-2014, 06:24 PM
Easy access (Pull through's) large area per site,flat and level also
Shade and lots of it
Trails for walking,jogging,biking, walking pet's
Full Hook up's
Clean bathroom's/Shower's
Paved road's, hate gravel roads:(

crash
01-29-2014, 05:32 AM
Location Location Location,Most of all Pet friendly (if you dont allow dogs you dont allow me,our dogs are our kids now that our 2 legged ones are grown and gone out on their own :D)No muddy sites we like grassy ones.Must be able to have a fire camping just aint camping without a fire to me)wide big sites where we can let our side patio down without it being in the next campers site,Where theirs not alot of sreaming little kids we are at that age ours are grown up and gone (YOU KEEP YOUR RUG RATS QUIET AND I WILL KEEP MY DOGS QUIET)And finally a place where we can seat and drink and meet like minded people to enjoy each others company,Just our 2 cents.:D

elkhorn98
01-31-2014, 01:00 PM
Water - A lake, river or stream.
Shade and lots of trees
Private sites and away from other sites.

Camper Wayne
02-06-2014, 04:15 PM
wifi :D

rwmurphy15
02-13-2014, 05:33 PM
Koko, where are some of the breathtaking campgrounds on the east coast you talk about. Looking for suggestions.

kguess
02-10-2015, 05:15 PM
Clean grounds and bathrooms, shade, privacy within site, friendly staff, bike trails, lake.

C130
02-10-2015, 05:35 PM
Number one, full hookups, because with 4 of us I want sewer as we fill up the tanks pretty quick and no way am I hooking up the 5th wheel to go dump the tanks. We also like lots of trees, just doesn't seem like camping to me when your parked out in the wide open spaces. Like most others, I don't want to be right next to my neighbor.

Way Of Life
02-10-2015, 05:40 PM
Different trips require different things.....But 3 things are constant......Shade.....Site length.....and surroundings.

Desert185
02-10-2015, 08:46 PM
To add on to post #12:

Prefer long, level pull through site.
No crowded, jammed together sites.
Quiet.
Full hook ups with cable and WIFI fast enough for Netflix.
30A OK, but 50A during hot months.
Trees, but no encroaching limbs endangering the trailer.
No mud.
Dog friendly.

{tpc}
02-11-2015, 06:06 AM
Having only one year under my belt, I agree with what kristi and jrth both posted. My only additions would be wifi and/or cable and a flat level spot. However, none of those are deal breakers.

When alone or with the kids, we prefer campsites that have distance between them. When with our friends, it doesn't matter as much as there are 3 or 4 of us and we all get sites next to each other.

Some of the "private" ones are so stacked on top of each other and so full of cement, that it just doesn't feel like camping. I don't like those.

I would also add that being able to see a clear and actual picture on a website is a big plus. Any picture is actually a big plus, but the actual one is great.

We also like locations near a lake if possible.

chuckster57
02-11-2015, 06:16 AM
Full hook ups and a clear view of the southern sky.

GaryWT
02-11-2015, 10:14 AM
I was going to say location but if they don't have full hook up sites then location does not matter. Also, in the summer we like a pool.

gkainz
02-11-2015, 12:13 PM
I usually look for the first nice spot near the the trout stream that's at least 5 miles up the dirt road past the last occupied camp spot. :)

Desert185
02-11-2015, 12:15 PM
Full hook ups and a clear view of the southern sky.

Maybe in the winter, but during the summer heat? I'll take all the shade I can get. :)

Full view of northern sky and eastern, morning sun, but all that is hard to acquire. Be easier to find a medium rare NY steak and a glass of Petite Sirah at a potluck. :(

Ram189
02-11-2015, 12:37 PM
A nice clean pool and some activities in or nearby that will entertain an 8 year old.
There is no real vacation/relaxing with an 8 year old boy in tow.

chuckster57
02-11-2015, 01:07 PM
Direct TV satellite is in the southern sky. I love trees too just need that "window" to the sky.

crash
02-12-2015, 12:01 PM
DW has to have tv ,Not me if I wanted to watch tv I would have stayed at home .Iam an outside kinda man ,I dont like being kooped up in the camper but at night or if the wind is blowing the rain all up under the awning .Just my 2 cents :D:party::party:

Jay Pat
02-12-2015, 04:23 PM
I mostly use, Allstays phone app and RV Review.
Looking for big rig pull thru sites and cable.
If I'm staying a few days, I look for open sky to the south for the satellite.
Pat

mom2budnbug
02-12-2015, 06:25 PM
Quiet and clean
, no parking lot camping.
hiking trails
pet friendly

notanlines
02-13-2015, 03:50 AM
John's item "I don't want a campground host that insists he knows how to best guide me into the site. In fact, I don't want the host to help" brought a smile to our faces. Think how many times you have all pulled into a camp site just as you are spotted trying to park by three well-intended men watching. Within two minutes they are over by your rig, giving orders, advice and waving arms......Well, maybe I'm exaggerating a little.:D

JRTJH
02-13-2015, 05:37 AM
Jim, You're not exaggerating "too much"..... RV'ers are the "friendliest" folks around, always seem willing to 'lend a hand" even if their help "gets in the way" more than helps.....

There are very few people who know how our rig responds to backing input better than my DW and I. We have a routine, we follow it, get into some pretty tight spaces at times, all without the help of someone who doesn't "think" that branch is low enough to hit the roof, or that doesn't realize there's a rear bumper on the truck that hits the front storage door if it's left "swinging".

I've got my own "conception" of where I want my stabilizer jacks to end up, how long my power cord, water and sewer hoses are and where I can park to get the maximum area to park the truck or to keep the dog's leash from getting tangled in the utilities. That "helper" isn't aware of all of my (and the DW's) thoughts, nor does he/they know what we've talked about for the last 3 hours in planning what we wanted to do with/for/to the trailer as soon as we park.

So, if I need your help, I'll be sure to ask, but please, if my DW is guiding me into the spot and we are talking with the rear camera intercom, don't walk up to the truck and start telling me which way to back or suggesting that she's not familiar with the process. When we're backed in and I'm getting out of the truck, I'll smile and say, "howdy", but let us do what we do best. We're a team and believe it or not, we've been doing this for well over 40 years, I trust her judgment and she knows my limitations.

There, now I've said it again...... :soapbox: