PDA

View Full Version : Shore power blows breaker

10-13-2010, 11:52 AM
I have a 2006 Montana 3650RK.It blows the shore power 50 amp breaker when the trailer is plugged in.It also blows the breaker when all of the trailer breakers are turned off.I removed the female connector for the shore power at the rear bumper and found the red and black wires in the electrical cable were shorted together, causing the breaker to trip.I traced the problem to a spot near the door where the cable was pinched between the floor board and the top of the frame, with the wall sitting on top of both, so it was not possible to remove the pinched wire.The frame had rubbed the insulation off the wires, shorting the red and black conductors.I cut out the section that was pinched between the frame and the floor. Would it be better to pull a new electrical cable from the bumper to the electrical breaker panel in the trailer or create a junction box under the trailer where I cut out the pinched cable?
Thanks
Big John

hankpage
10-13-2010, 12:52 PM
Cost-wise the junction box would be the way to go. Just be sure to secure the box and use the correct size wire nuts and connectors. Depending on where the cable is cut, you could also use a marine grade "Twist-Lock" plug and connector. JM2¢, Hank

10-14-2010, 08:36 AM
Thanks Hank,
That is how I fixed it. I spliced the ends of the cables together in a waterproof box and mounted the box to the frame.