PDA

View Full Version : Mounting a Rear View Camera: RVS-770613-213 on a 327RES

Mosnowman
01-10-2014, 08:30 PM
I recently purchased the Rear View Camera System One (1) Camera Setup With Trailer Tow Quick Connect/Disconnect Kit Model # RVS-770613-213.

I have read various threads on cameras and was wondering if anyone can give me the pros and cons on mounting this hard wired camera system on my Cougar 327RES Fifth Wheel?

I personally see two possible options and would like your input.

1. My 2014 RES has 3 lights at the rear up by the top of the trailer. Would it be possible to remove the middle light and use that as a pre drilled site for the camera? If so where would the wires be run at that point?

2. Mount the camera on the top rung of the ladder and run the wire down the ladder either zip tied or through conduit. Then run the cable under the trailer?

I am a total Newb and not mechanically inclined. I am smart enough to figure stuff out listening to you wise old guys that have experience in doing these things. Any detailed advice on the wiring would be appreciated!

Thoughts?

http://www.keystoneforums.com/attachments/photobucket/img_107948_0_d3b9f69e159eb7d6117c4337663053f7.jpg (http://s1118.photobucket.com/user/Mosnowman/media/image_zps21d19644.jpg.html)

spicercars
01-11-2014, 05:33 AM
I have never installed a camera on an RV but I do know that you should not remove the center clearance light on the back. They are put there to pass the DOT laws because the trailer is wider than 84". Good luck on your install.

byrdr1
01-11-2014, 05:42 AM
I have a wireless camera. BUT the transmitter is mounded in the front bay. I mounted the camera on the second rung of the ladder. I then ran the wire all way to the front under the frame using zip ties, coming up into the front bay through the propane tank opening. This allows me to use the wireless transmitter and wireless receiver in my truck. The transmitter is mounted on the drivers side up in that corner of the bay.I mount the receiver on my rear view mirror while towing. If I can find pictures I'll post them. Saved to a webshots ZIP file is where they are at. You could very easily do the same with a wired unit. Sometimes my signal goes fuzzy if my head gets in the way.. Not sure why?? :)
But this is a very easy mod.
randy

JRTJH
01-11-2014, 06:17 AM
You might want to reconsider your idea about replacing the clearance light with the camera. If you do that, you'll have two empty screwholes to plug as the clearance light and camera mount do not have mounting holes in the same place. So, rather than try to plug empty holes (not only a leak potential, but it won't look too good), I'd suggest you plan to mount the camera under the center light. Be aware there is a 2x2 aluminum stud centered on that light, so be careful drilling the "big hole" for the camera plug. I drilled the outer skin, inner skin and then routed the camera harness around the stud rather than drill a big hole into it.

Good luck.

Bowti
01-11-2014, 03:36 PM
You can maybe make a bracket out of a small sheet of aluminum and mount it under the light. Use the light back as a pattern and have the new bracket extend low enough below the light to give you something to mount the camera to.

I don't like the idea of drilling holes through the walls and then trying to hide the cable inside past slides, only to have to drill a second large hole to get the cable back out to the TV.

I would stay away from drilling holes in the wall as it is much easier to use the half round plastic conduit and run the wire down to the bumper and then underneath the trailer to the TV.

Mosnowman
01-11-2014, 03:59 PM
I think I have definitely been convinced to leave the lights alone.

After reading the replies thus far would this make sense?

Mount the camera "above" the center light or is there a lighting issue related to the camera being above the light? I guess it would still require drilling a hole into the camper? Is there something to drill into above?

I could run the wiring over to the ladder and down tne inside of the ladder using flexible aluminum or plastic conduit? Then run the wiring under the camper to the front bay area to install quick disconnect?

I think I am getting closer to figuring this out...keep the advice coming please!

JRTJH
01-11-2014, 05:15 PM
If you mount the camera below the light, you have the sun shield to protect it from glare the light might produce. If you mount it above the light, you'll have to "point it through the glare" to see the ground behind the RV. I'd think twice about mounting it above the clearance lights.

Bowti
01-11-2014, 07:28 PM
I think I have definitely been convinced to leave the lights alone.

After reading the replies thus far would this make sense?

I think I am getting closer to figuring this out...keep the advice coming please!

The light would not be modified in any way, it would still be in the same place and function like it should. All you would be doing is sandwiching the sheet metal between the light and camper. No holes to drill as you would just use the two same holes that hold the light on.

Take the light off, put the sheet metal bracket under the light base and put the light back on. You now have part of the bracket extended below the light,, that you can bolt the camera to.

If you no longer want the camera, you can easily remove bracket with no holes to fill in.

Of course use a fresh application of sealer in this whole process.

Randy_K
01-12-2014, 03:48 PM
Thanks for getting this thread going. I was thinking of using the center light on my trailer as well. I have no ladder and am stuck for ideas on a location of a camera.

Mosnowman
01-13-2014, 05:46 PM
I'm thinking I have decided on mounting it on either the top rung or the second from the top rung on the ladder. I have a new hip and am not planning on ever climbing that ladder...at least not frequently. I can then run the wiring down the inside of the ladder either using conduit or zip tie. From there run the wire underneath the camper....this way I will only have to drill a whole at the front of the fifth wheel for the quick connect...anyone else have a "ladder mounted camera"?

Thoughts?

gruehle
01-13-2014, 11:33 PM
Thanks for getting this thread going. I was thinking of using the center light on my trailer as well. I have no ladder and am stuck for ideas on a location of a camera.

I'm going with a wireless system for my 327 RES and plan to mount it below the high center light and splice the wiring in with the light.

Williston324
01-14-2014, 06:30 AM
If you take a look in the modifications area, I installed that system on my fifth and F250. We've now used it for about 2000 miles of towing since October and love it. It has performed flawlessly.

If you have any questions, let me know.

booboopercy
01-14-2014, 07:45 AM
You might want to reconsider your idea about replacing the clearance light with the camera. If you do that, you'll have two empty screwholes to plug as the clearance light and camera mount do not have mounting holes in the same place. So, rather than try to plug empty holes (not only a leak potential, but it won't look too good), I'd suggest you plan to mount the camera under the center light. Be aware there is a 2x2 aluminum stud centered on that light, so be careful drilling the "big hole" for the camera plug. I drilled the outer skin, inner skin and then routed the camera harness around the stud rather than drill a big hole into it.

Good luck.
JRTJH,
I understand you drilling 5/8 hole for camera cable. What did you use to attach the camera bracket? drywall anchors? Camera weighs a bit and want it to be a sturdy mounting. I was thinking of using long nuts and bolts that go completely through to inside of trailer. Your advice is really appreciated.
TIA
Guy

JRTJH
01-14-2014, 08:31 AM
JRTJH,
I understand you drilling 5/8 hole for camera cable. What did you use to attach the camera bracket? drywall anchors? Camera weighs a bit and want it to be a sturdy mounting. I was thinking of using long nuts and bolts that go completely through to inside of trailer. Your advice is really appreciated.
TIA
Guy

I painted the heads of some #2 square drive screws (the same ones Keystone uses to build the RV) black, and used them with Butyl tape behind the bracket to seal the hole as well as the black rubber grommet that comes with the kit. Additionally, once everything was installed, I sealed the entire perimeter of the bracket and all the screw heads/cable entry with DICOR sealant. I have had no vibrations or "shakes" with the installation. We travel on some pretty rough gravel roads to get to some of the lakes we fish and in 4 years on two RV's, I've had no issues with anything loosening or vibrating. Just be careful when you install the screws, it's pretty easy to strip them out by overtightening. Really, once things set up, it's almost impossible to pull the bracket off the back wall, the Butyl tape holds as tight as most adhesives. You're not going to lose the camera or have it fall off the back wall as long as you clean the bracket and the fiberglass surface well with alcohol before you apply the Butyl tape when installing the bracket. Don't try to "overengineer" the installation, this is one time when "a little more" might well be "too much" LOL

booboopercy
01-14-2014, 08:45 AM
Thanks a bunch John

Mosnowman
01-14-2014, 06:50 PM
If you take a look in the modifications area, I installed that system on my fifth and F250. We've now used it for about 2000 miles of towing since October and love it. It has performed flawlessly.

I found your "wired camera" posts...excellent! I may send you some questions as I get into installing....I see you have a ladder but went ahead with the under light install. Looks great...

Thanks!

Mosnowman
01-14-2014, 07:41 PM

Hey Williston I posted this same message in mods but wanted to make sure you saw it.....can you provide specific details on how you mounted the camera? I have the exact same system and was wondering if you simply screwed the camera into the trailer? Any specifics would be appreciated! Also does the camera remain steady while driving? Thanks!

homer3
01-14-2014, 08:41 PM
Everyone has great ideas for camera. I recently installed wireless on 5er. mounted transmitter next to camera and getting crapping reception while driving. Transmitter is not in direct lict of sight for receiver. Does it need to be. How far should transmitter be from receiver. A lot of posting are saying that they have ran wire to transmitter and mounter toward the front of trailer. If this is only acceptable place to increase visual acuity on receiving monitor why not just hard wire and have a disconnect near the Pin Box or 7 Pin connector.

Confused.

Jim Dow
01-16-2014, 06:30 PM
I converted a cheap "wired" rearview camera to a cheap "wireless" rearview camera by adding a transmitter in the front compartment of our Montana High Country.

The camera is mounted on the rear ladder with the power/video wires running under the 5er and up through the space (by the gas bottle) provided by the front stabilizer jack. The power connection and the transmitter are located in the front storage compartment. No holes drilled anywhere.

A receiver/display was added on the dash of the truck, plugged into the cigarette lighter socket.

Total cost was about $157 from Amazon.com, including the power supplies (2) from Radio Shack.

Transmit range was about 200 feet. Picture is clear.

chuckretnav
01-26-2014, 01:32 PM
I own a 2011 327res and have never thought of using a camera. I don't trust the slide out bumper to carry firewood, bikes, etc. This trailer has such a tail drag to it that I have even removed my spare tires from the rear. As far as using a camera for backing up I think it would confuse me. I drove 18 wheeler for several years so maybe I'm more use to things. But before you backup always get out and look G.O.A.L. have someone help you back. If nothing else just have them stand back there watch your top and rear, stay in sight of your mirrors at all times, and yell for you to stop. But if you really want a camera good luck in adding that to any RV that's already been built. Happy Trails
(tx)

commish
02-15-2014, 05:16 PM
I have installed a small camera on the rear of my Montana. I put it on top of the license plate light assembly. It is about the size of my thumb and the picture quality is excellent. I have also mounted one in my toolbox for when I back up to my 5th wheel hitch. I use the same monitor for both cameras and they are hard wired in. With my 3295rk being so long a wireless camera reception was not dependable. I purchased the components on eBay and the cost was not at all bad.
Good luck and enjoy the up coming camping season.

2004 Montana 3295 RK
2005 GMC Topkick C5500 Crew Cab
6.6L Duramax LLY engine
B&W Companion hitch