PDA

View Full Version : Back up camera

gruehle
01-07-2014, 08:04 PM
Just got our 2014 Cougar 327RES. Would like to install a wired backup camera. I've found a good unit inline for less money that the dealer but asked the dealer about installation and they want $600 for the labor. I think I might be able to install myself with a friend's help. Any thoughts on backup cameras for your fifth wheels? Are they worth adding? Thanks so much!

Bowti
01-07-2014, 08:35 PM
A lot of people seem to like the RVS-770613-213 from Rear View Safety. I just picked one up, but don't have it installed yet so can't give a report.

billb800si
01-07-2014, 08:36 PM
Here's a video of a unit you may want to consider..

http://www.iballhitchcam.com/

Al Sandoval
01-07-2014, 09:48 PM
I got a garmin BC20 Wireless cámara works with my garmin 760 RV install myself very sample
Did not hook up to the reverse so I can't swicht manually any time I want
Works great GPS and Cámara total 540.00

Mark TC
01-08-2014, 12:20 AM
Has anyone tried the Iball hitch? I think that would be nice for the back of my Outback

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

JRTJH
01-08-2014, 03:40 AM
I've had the Rearview Safety system (RVS-770613-213 ) same as Bowti, for over 4 years now. It was first installed on our Springdale and now on our Cougar. The monitor/power supply has also been installed first on our F150 and now on our F250. Installation is easy for anyone with basic mechanical skills. The only "frightening" part is drilling a 5/8" hole in the back of your RV. Otherwise, it's a simple matter of routing cable through the various cabinets, out the bottom of your RV, under the chassis to the front compartment, through the bottom of the front overhang and finally attaching the "trailer end" near the pinbox. The truck end is no more difficult than installing an old 8-track (if you remember them) "click click" LOL As for your Tow Vehicle, don't drill any holes !!!!! There are rubber "freeze plug" type plugs in the floorboard, Use one of them to route your cable up into the cab and install the "box" under the front seat or under the dash. I know people who have drilled some pretty good sized holes in their truck's floor and when I show them the rubber plugs, they say, "Why didn't I think of doing that" So, look around first, it's much easier to simply cut a slit in the rubber plug, push the cable through the slit and keep your truck "intact" :)

The system has great video, audio that is sufficient, and since we tow a bass boat behind the fifth wheel, it definitely gives us the ability to monitor what was totally unseen before the camera installation.

Many have had luck with wireless systems, and about just as many have had problems with wireless reception on larger (longer) trailers. Most have wired their camera on the back (you still need 12 volt power on the camera) and strung the camera cable from the rear to as close to the front as possible and located the transmitter as far forward as they could so they can reduce the interference. I think, if you're going to wire it "part way" for a wireless system, might as well, just wire the last few feet and have a good hardwire system that doesn't have any interference. But that's just my opinion.

If you're mechanically capable, have a very basic tool set and are physically able to crawl around under your fifth wheel, installing the RVS-770613-213 is just a matter of taking the time and thinking through where to drill that darned hole..... :)

msp2jxr
01-09-2014, 12:39 PM
I intalled a backup camera on my 326 MKS. I went on line and bought if from Taddi Brothers. Great service and they stand behing their products. Everything is plug and play so you really can't mess up the wiring. If you know the basics you will be fine.

byrdr1
01-09-2014, 01:39 PM
Off topic
"8 track player.. how about a 45 player?
Worked on some those when I took Electronics in school..
Pretty neat and got them to work. BUT I did have a Craig 8-track slide into a permanent mounted cradle in high school in my 1966 Datsun 1300CC Pickup truck..Along with my FM Convertor.
Sorry just could not past that up."
Back on topic.

BirchyBoy
04-05-2014, 05:56 PM
I installed my camera today. My wife bought me a Pyle camera with a 4.3" screen. I wired it to a switch on my dash so I can turn it on when I want to. Took about 6 hours to disassemble my truck, run the wires, drill some holes and run a cable inside split loom the length of our camper. I'm really happy with the results, with about $110 in total cost.

homer3
04-06-2014, 05:01 PM
gruehle - Camera - Here is mine, see pictures. Used Simpson-Strong-Tie-TP35-3-1-8-in-x-5-in-Tie-Plate-TP35/100375154 (Home Depot) to mount onto back of middle running light and then used existing holes on running light to mount to back of 5er (2013 327 RES). Ran wire through access box box and then down through cupboards above TV, then down though bottom cupboards to outside lower frame. There is access panel on right lower cupboard by couch that you can run A/V cables to outside. Ran cable along frame work with wire ties to front storage. from there I used antenna plate with patch that connects the 5ver to TV along the 7 pin connector. Camera is S-Video Cable connector, picture is really good and only one cable to run. Monitor in cab TV is 7" DVD player 12 v/DC.

tenn321
04-07-2014, 05:50 PM
Got mine from Ebay, camera ,monitor,and rca cable was under 80 bucks.All works good and pretty easy. On the monitor you have a hot wire and ground and a rca cable that goes to the camera.On the camera you have a hot and ground and the rca cable that goes to the monitor.Hope this helps.I can switch from the camera at the rear of the truck to the rear of the TT.Tha monitor can read 2 cameras,not at once

No K or I
07-24-2014, 01:24 PM
I just bought Rear View Safety's wireless 12V system. I will post a response when I get it installed and working.

RVS-7706123WQ-C
http://www.rearviewsafety.com/products/wireless-systems/wireless-backup-camera-system-cigarette.html

FTWingRiders
07-24-2014, 07:24 PM
I just bought Rear View Safety's wireless 12V system. I will post a response when I get it installed and working.

RVS-7706123WQ-C
http://www.rearviewsafety.com/products/wireless-systems/wireless-backup-camera-system-cigarette.html

Just installed this, with the 2 side cameras, on my 325srx. Works great in my driveway. We're leaving tomorrow for a weekend up in Maine and I'll post a real world review next week.

Vet4jdc
07-26-2014, 06:31 AM
I installed the Voyager wireless rear view camera on our fiver and am very pleased with the results. It was a bit pricey but it was important to me to not deal with wires in the unit and to the truck. The Voyager system recommended wiring to the rear marker lights for 12V power but I didn't want to have my running lights on all the time so I wired it directly to a 12v power with a toggle switch to power the rear camera. The monitor works off 12v power in the truck.

Mosnowman
07-28-2014, 01:23 PM
I have no mechanical ability what so ever and installed the Rear View Camera System One (1) Camera Setup With Trailer Tow Quick Connect/Disconnect Kit Model # RVS-770613-213 from Amazon $300.00

It has a beautiful large color monitor and we totally love it! You can hear the birds chirping as you are leaving the campground...buy it you won't regret it!!

Great instructions from J.......I have it wired on a 2013 Ford F250 / 327RES

Modersical
06-06-2017, 06:51 AM
I have recently acquired a 2014 Keystone Outback 310TB. I want to add a wireless backup camera, but am hesitating to arm myself with a few basic facts. Help!

I am looking at a wireless Voyager WVOS43, and first need to decide where to locate the camera.

Above or below center, upper clearance light on back?

Below is where I see most, but on this unit, that would put it on the "Outback" graphic. But, maybe this darker area will blend better with black camera, and make it less noticeable??

If mounted above, would the clearance light just below it cause a glare, or similar visual problem?

How thick is the wall of this (fiberglass?) Outback, and what kind of insulation is in the wall? I guess this will determine how easily I will be able to fish the clearance light wires out to connect.

Randallf
06-09-2017, 09:46 PM
my rv came prep.however, the camera doesn't work all the time
so i don't know if its the camera or the prep work
when it works its worth it
randy
ps take it to car toys, there a lot cheaper

captcolour
06-10-2017, 06:30 AM
I bought the 4Ucam wireless camera and 7" monitor. Installed it right through the lens on the center top running light. Removed the bulb of course. Did it this way so it is totally reversible other than buying a new lens for the light just in case I wasn't happy with it.

First trip was from KY to CO. Was interesting that there was more interference west of Topeka in both directions along I-70.

Did just order an extension antenna for the camera to get it on top of the 39' 5er. Will see if that helps.

Picture quality is OK, but you are just looking down a pavement anyway. I like the pictures they show in the advertisements for these cameras with mountains and such. You aren't going to be looking at the scenery behind you, other than the vehicle on the right to make sure it is clear enough to move over!

Modersical
06-10-2017, 07:21 AM
Hmm. Thanks RandallF & Captcolour. What brands were those?

MerlinB
06-10-2017, 08:27 AM
I installed the Furrion camera on the back of my Cougar. I installed it above the center light right up next to the molding because I wanted the antenna as high as possible. The light does not cause any glare in the camera. Those are LED lights, not the OEM lights with incandescent bulbs. I don't know if that would make a difference.

David T. MacNeill
06-10-2017, 01:54 PM
We bought a Garmin RV660 partly because Garmin offers a relatively inexpensive rear camera (BC-30) that's wireless. While contemplating how and where to have it installed, in just occurred to me that our Montana Big Sky 3280 has a huge rear window, so why not mount the camera inside? Then the installation avoids all weatherproofing issues, gets the transmitter closer to the truck cab, and all the power wiring is inside the trailer.

Steve S
06-10-2017, 03:57 PM
I don't have a camera on the trailer but I do have one on the truck that came with it. I've tried many times to try to understand it and get used to it but every time I usually end up backing into a flower pot! lol! It turns on whenever I stick it in reverse and it's distracting.
I guess that I'm so used to using my mirrors and it's tough to teach an old dog new tricks.:facepalm:

ctbruce
06-10-2017, 05:09 PM
The camera is extra, in addition to the mirrors, not a replacement for them. Used together I love them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

chuckster57
06-10-2017, 06:50 PM
Never had one, don't have one, don't plan on getting one.
They are great, but I guess since I "grew up" without, I am used to doing without.

Modersical
06-11-2017, 07:19 AM
The camera is extra, in addition to the mirrors, not a replacement for them. Used together I love them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

I agree wholeheartedly ctbruce! The more views you have, the better and safer your backing will be. No single camera view can be taken as seeing what is really there too. Nothing beats direct looking at objects with your eyes and/or the eyes of a helper. It is hard to see somethings via a camera that are in shadow, or in the edge of shadows, or maybe a small post.

If alone, I still get out and look at the area; and the main value of a camera to me is knowing just how close I am getting to a known object I can see, or if a vehicle has suddenly pulled in behind me. It is one more tool available to help.

Sniper
11-19-2017, 05:30 PM
Has anyone tried mounting a wireless backup camera in the rear window of their 5er? Just wondering how it would work. Thanks in advance.

Chevrolise
11-19-2017, 05:57 PM
i clamp my gopro on the ramp door handle. Use my iphone. Takes 30 sec. No wire's, no extra equipment.

chuckster57
11-19-2017, 06:06 PM
Has anyone tried mounting a wireless backup camera in the rear window of their 5er? Just wondering how it would work. Thanks in advance.

If you mean inside the glass, I’m not sure you would get a clear picture (glare) and the signal may not transmit well through the structure.

Modersical
11-19-2017, 08:18 PM
I got a Voyager wireless on sale from Camper World and installed on back of my 35' TT. Works great. You can hear sound through it too, for verbal messages if you have an extra helper back behind for extra safety. Have to turn the sound down when driving, because it gets kind of noisy.

I wired it to my upper, rear, center clearance light, so just turn on the lights for power to camera. You can monitor well while passing and changing lanes too.

My brother liked it so well, he had me put one on the back of his Minnie Winnie. The monitor plugs into dash power outlet.

Randallf
11-19-2017, 08:53 PM
My camera was pre wired so all i had to do was connect it. I love it.
I can see whats coming behind while traveling down the road and i can see what
behind me when backing into a rv spot.
The only think i wish it had is a bigger monitor
randy
2017 sprinter fifth wheel

Modersical
11-20-2017, 06:14 AM
I had a choice between a smaller iPhone size monitor and larger iPad size monitor and went with the smaller. Driving down the road, your focus need's to be through the windshield, ahead, unless changing lanes or passing. The smaller monitor close to steering wheel's outer edge allows for quick glances, as you move your visual scan around. Besides, it is easier to find space without blocking windshield or dash instruments, vents, or radio if you don't have to find space for a wide screen TV.

JRTJH
11-20-2017, 07:48 AM
I have a Rear View Safety wired system https://www.rearviewsafety.com/safety-solutions/backup-camera-systems/wired-backup-camera-systems/rvs-770613-213-backup-camera-system-trailer-kit-fifth-wheel-5th-wheel.html It comes with a 7" "stand alone monitor". We tow with a 2015 F250 crew cab. There's simply no place to put such a large monitor on the dash where it won't block the view, make something else "inaccessible" or just "be in the way".... I've resorted to a Velcro adaptation to mount the monitor on the truck's rear view mirror. That's not a 'good solution' either, but beats blocking the dash or windshield visibility.

I'm looking for an alternative (read: smaller) monitor that would fit somewhere without being in the way.....

Bigger is not always better.....

Modersical
11-21-2017, 09:26 AM
I recently added a backup camera to my Nissan XD, which has an iPad size screen built in on the dash. Depending on the type of screen ��, which is multifunctional for use with music album displays, navigation, and rear cameras; I've been given to understand that you can get a plug-in harness to patch an add in camera through to this monitor. The main downside to this route, if you happen to have an adaptable monitor is the cost for the proprietary plug and play harness.

I opted to go with the less expensive mirror monitor. My little Thor MH came with one built in and it is great . . . Just look in mirror to see what is behind you . . . Just like what we have been used to doing for years, as we drive.

As I say, it works great in the MH; however, in my crew cab pickup, the rear side windows, and the back glass cause so much glare reflection, that it is hard to see any image in the mirror, without holding something up to block the glare.

Bowti
11-27-2017, 10:30 AM
A lot of people seem to like the RVS-770613-213 from Rear View Safety. I just picked one up, but don't have it installed yet so can't give a report.

Just wanted to add this camera has performed great and is still working flawlessly after several years. I am very happy with it and like the large colored screen.