PDA

View Full Version : drawers that were subpar

wallet14
01-05-2014, 07:11 PM
All of the drawers in our springdale had little or no support other than the front sides of the openings. The support for the drawer under the large wardrobe broke after just 4 night's use which lead to me investigating the situation. As you can see from the first two photos, the drawers were barely attached at the rear. Look especially at the second photo for the rear support of the bottom drawer which you can see how they were attached with a long screw through the support into open air for most of the screw length until it attached to a piece of wood at the rear for about an 1/8 of an inch.

I opted to put 2 X's at both corners and to fill in the space the screw was in the open air. You can see this in the third picure. I also added this extra support to all the other drawers with the exception of the two tiny drawers just to the left of the fridge. The final picture shows that we got our drawers fixed for the snacks and kids' clothes.

Hopefully this helps someone else fix their subpar drawers!

theeyres
01-05-2014, 09:19 PM
Nice job. Fact is that the entry level trailers are put together as cheaply as possible. I have had a Springdale and now a Hideout--both in the same category and I have also had to do many mods to strengthen them. Our Arctic Fox that we used for full-timing was built like a battle ship and took no such mods. But it cost far more, too...

Bob Landry
01-06-2014, 04:59 AM
It looks like they at least put yours together with 1/2" plywood. The drawer supports on my Outback were assembled with scraps of 1/8" Luan and staples. Most of them did not survive the first outing. I've gone through my entire trailer and everything that was stapled and that I can get to has been reinforced with screws or glued. Better check your shelving. That's going to be the next project. You should also think about replacing the short screws used on the cabinet door hinges with longer ones. There are also going to eventually strip out. Poor craftsmanship is not limited to the entry level trailers.

aburns20
01-08-2014, 01:26 PM
It's not just the entry level trailers. I had the same problem with my 2012 Fuzion 375 fifth wheel.

Bob Landry
01-08-2014, 02:25 PM
Staples seem to be the fastener of choice. When you put wire staples through cheap 1/8" Luan, you can't expect much in the way of durability. Fortunately, I have the electrical and mechanical ability and the time to fix KS's screw-ups. I shouldn't have to, but it is what it is. The real dis-service is to the older buyers who may not have the knowledge and the physical dexterity to crawl around and under these trailers looking for problems. Their best hope is that if something is going to break, it will do it within the first year, and that's not always the real world. I don't know if there is a fix for this. As long as there are new buyers who buy because DW likes the fabric color or the countertops, this will not change.
We tend to blame it on the workers who build them, but I'm more inclined to think that this is perpetuated by the shop foremen trying to make their bonuses for meeting a production schedule and the bean counters who have priced everything down to the penny and the second. If a worker stops a production line because he accidentally drove a screw through something, he would likely be fired. They are banking on a new trailer holding together until the warranty runs out, then they are in the clear.
If it sounds like I have little respect for production line facilities, your perception is correct.

Sherwood
01-11-2014, 02:59 PM
I have similar problems in my trailer with the drawers. They either are tough to move or are not lined up properly thus not seating right when closed. Haven't had one fall yet.
Bob, I agree with you on your assessment on the workmanship from the top down. Its a shame and I have shaken my head on many more occasions that I would like to say. I usually e-mail a company voicing my opinion about their product and plan on doing so when I fully go through this camper as I only have had it 10 months. But like you said, as long as they're selling, it wont change.

abneynormal
01-16-2014, 06:09 PM
yes I redid all the drawers and strengthened them. if you have a mirrored closet you would be wise to strengthen it as well. it hasn't fallen out of the tracks since I braced the upper corners with ell brackets.