PDA

View Full Version : Range hood vent

f6bits
01-03-2014, 07:14 PM
There have been several threads here about the lack of an outside exhaust vent for the range hood. Following the tips from one of the links, I did the following:
1) Knocked out the rectangle from the back of the hood. This was the hardest part, as the metal is very flimsy. I bent it up a bit.
2) Marked the corners of that rectangle. Then did a much better job measuring from holes and corners and re-did my marks on the wall.
3) Drilled the four corners. On the inside, I used a utility knife and cut through the luan and foam. On the outside, I taped and drew the rectangle, then used a rotozip (spiral) bit on my Dremel to cut the filon. My dremel bit was useless after this.
3.5) Mounted outside vent with butyl tape, screws, and silicone.
4) Re-mounted the hood, then fabricated a three-sided duct from a "roll and hook" flattened 5" duct tube. This metal was very workable. I tapered the hood end since that hole was slightly smaller than the vent frame. I left the bottom side of the duct for last, then foil taped it all together, then sealed the old exhaust side vents in the hood.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/609598/trailer/vent5.jpg

BulletOwner1
01-03-2014, 07:32 PM
Nice job Scott. Been thinking about doing that myself. You went above and beyond what manufacturers do. I had a water leak around the hood vent on a previous RV and when I took the hood down there was no duct work between the hood and outside vent. Just the hole. Consistent with today's work ethic. "If they don't see it, it don't matter."

B&T
01-03-2014, 10:42 PM
Nice, I have to look into doing this

Bob Landry
01-04-2014, 05:49 AM
That's a good mod and easy to do by most folks. Some of us ran into the problem of Keystone seeing fit to put a window in the wall behind the stove that will block the installation of any kind of vent. That one requires a serious amount of sheet metal expertise.
I solved my vent problem by replacing the roof vent in front of the stove with a fantastic fan. This is one of the things that was overlooked on the walkthrough of this trailer, but not the next one.

SAD
01-04-2014, 10:16 AM
Good looking work.

This 2012 Avalanche is the first RV I've ever had that did NOT have a stove range hood that vented to the outside. I was actually kinda surprised by the fact that it did not.

If ours didn't have a Fantastic fan in the kitchen, I would do exactly what you did.

Bluewater
01-04-2014, 10:33 AM
I think we all need to demand a vent on all new units. Maybe then they will see how important they are to us all. Also as suggested it should be added to the check list.

B&T
01-04-2014, 11:00 AM
Got a questionnaire from Keystone a few months after buying our TT and I listed that as our #1 displeasing short-coming about the TT.