PDA

View Full Version : Ooops, CRUNCH!

Jim7411
01-03-2014, 05:25 PM
This past weekend we spent a few days at a nearby KOA. Beautiful sites, large pine trees on both sides, very few people. As we were attempting to leave, I was trying to decide how to exit my site. Rather than pull straight ahead and pull through an empty spot, I chose to make a hard right turn around a big pine. I had plenty of clearance, but what I neglected to think about was the root system spreading out from the base. As my truck pulled over the roots, the rear of the bed rose up and made contact with the nose of the trailer. The side rail of my bed cover made a nasty gouge, as well as cracking the side panel next to the bedroom slider. All in all, about $4-5K in damage. My insurance will cover most of it, fortunately. Ah yes, another lesson learned. Won't do that one again!:banghead:

f6bits
01-03-2014, 05:39 PM
Oh, crud. Just when you think you've got it all figured out. :(

antiqfreq
01-05-2014, 11:50 AM
My husband is so danged cautious and I am always thinking 'you can make it'.......

He never takes my call......and gets out probably 95% of the time to check my suggestions to go ahead.

I love him for it. He tries to take care of the stuff.

Having said that he did try to crunch a concrete picnic table once when trying to straighten out the truck..........I told him to stop - really I did -

Jo

rclark
01-05-2014, 02:07 PM
The one time my DW was not assisting me in backing our Alpine into our driveway I hit the garage with the ladder. Didn't look to bad, just a 6 inch hole where the ladder attaches to end cap. Of course the ladder was destroyed. Final bill was over $6000. Had to remove the entire end cap to repair properly according to dealership personnel . Looks like new now, but was an expensive lesson. I double check and sometimes triple check everything I do when moving, setting up, tearing down or anything else that has potential for damage large or small.

tdawg
01-05-2014, 02:53 PM
as a campground host i have seen several bed cover rails get hit on tight turns. I dont think i will be putting a bed cover on my truck rails stand up to high on box rails

theeyres
01-05-2014, 09:25 PM
You guys just don't know how to do real damage. When I had our Arctic Fox fiver, I drug the top edge along an overhang I didn't see and took out the awning, gouged the side, and pulled the back cap clean off the trailer. How about $11,000 in damage and a month in an unplanned city using an old smoke filled trailer the dealer loaned us while doing the repairs?

DJ85
01-06-2014, 01:57 AM
Yep some poeple just have to be over achievers. Just glad no one got hurt.;)

Jim7411
01-07-2014, 07:03 PM
as a campground host i have seen several bed cover rails get hit on tight turns. I dont think i will be putting a bed cover on my truck rails stand up to high on box rails
You know, I thought about that awhile ago, taking off the bed cover when towing, but in truth, I was too lazy to do it. Thought it was too much work. Singing a different tune now. When the trailer goes on, the cover and rails come off. We're only talking 10-15 minutes of my "valuable" time here.

JBon
01-10-2014, 04:36 PM
Picked up brand new fusion 342, with a less than 2mo old pickup and the brand new Reese hitch failed. Damaged entire box of truck and front of trailer, little over $22000.00 damage

theeyres
01-10-2014, 07:40 PM
Picked up brand new fusion 342, with a less than 2mo old pickup and the brand new Reese hitch failed. Damaged entire box of truck and front of trailer, little over $22000.00 damage

I think that one takes the grand prize.