PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with major condensation problem

jodie.coate
01-01-2014, 03:30 PM
I have a 2013 Springdale that I purchased last year. I went to use it yesterday and found that it was soaked!! There was condensation all over the windows, walls, ceiling, etc... What do I do from here???

Sent from my iPhone

FullTimer
01-01-2014, 03:41 PM
If it's not to cold, turn on the ac and run down to 65 or so. It will start pulling out the humidity pretty quick. Grab some towels and start wiping down walls before they start to go bad and ruin the wall paper or wall boards. You need to stop the mildew from growing, leading to mold asap. Anything touching the walls will be wet, hanging clothes, backs of chairs, curtains, the mattress will probably be also. Take some small fans and circulate the air to help dry it out.

Eta, make sure you don't have a hot water leak inside, that will steam it up pretty quick.

mguay
01-02-2014, 03:55 AM
I have a 2013 Springdale that I purchased last year. I went to use it yesterday and found that it was soaked!! There was condensation all over the windows, walls, ceiling, etc... What do I do from here???

Sent from my iPhone

That happened to me last March while on the way to Florida. It wasn't raining but close to it. You could almost see the moisture in the air and the ambient temp was hovering at the dew point. 30 minutes of the furnace running and it all dried up nice. Kind of reminded me of when you shampoo the carpet in the truck and forget to leave a window cracked so it will dry and all the windows steam up!

jodie.coate
01-02-2014, 07:12 AM
In my case... The couch, table cushions, etc were all soaked!!

Sent from my iPhone

billb800si
01-02-2014, 09:10 AM
Soaked??
Sounds like much worse than just condensation. I certainly would look for the cause.

Meanwhile if it's cold outside turn on the furnace (dry heat will remove moisture in the air).
Good luck,

FullTimer
01-02-2014, 04:08 PM
I agree Bill, this sounds like a bad slide or roof leak. Wow. All in the same area says that, look up, check for water stains. If a slide, is it stored in or out? Which series of Springdale Jodie? Hopefully things are drying out.

Ken / Claudia
01-02-2014, 09:17 PM
You do not list where you live at but, if it is from condensation keep the trailer vented some how and or heat in it and that should not happen. I keep both roof vents open year round with after market vent covers on them. They to not leak rain water even at 90 mph wind/rain. No problem so far in donig that in 3 RVs for 11 years. I hope you don't have a leak somewhere.

ftwildernessguy
01-03-2014, 09:43 AM
You do not list where you live at but, if it is from condensation keep the trailer vented some how and or heat in it and that should not happen. I keep both roof vents open year round with after market vent covers on them. They to not leak rain water even at 90 mph wind/rain. No problem so far in donig that in 3 RVs for 11 years. I hope you don't have a leak somewhere.

For sure keep the vents open. I use Maxxair covers and have never had a leak leaving the vents open year round. I also keep some Damprid in the trailer over the winter. Go in once in a while to check if it needs to be emptied or not.

Festus2
01-03-2014, 10:11 AM
In my case... The couch, table cushions, etc were all soaked!!

Sent from my iPhone

Are the couch, table cushions, etc., all located in the slide area by any chance? Was there any area of the RV that was not covered in condensation? Some areas worse than others?

When you discovered this problem, how long was it between then and your last visit to the camper?

After following up on the suggestions made here, have you noticed any improvement or change in the amount of condensate?

Sherwood
01-03-2014, 11:46 PM
I use our portable dehumidifier from our house. It serves 3 great purposes. First and foremost, it removes the humidity formed by our furnace. It also puts our heat to aid the furnace and lastly, its great for white noise to which we like at night. Works like a charm. But like a few others have said, if your couch is "soaked", you probably have bigger problems.

barchak
01-24-2014, 11:16 PM
I think you have something else going on. You need two things for condensation, moisture and temperature differential. The moisture must be coming from a leak. If not a leak, where is the moisture coming from? Why would you have a temperature differential in the trailer from the outside air temp? If you are camping and it is cold outside and warm inside with moisture being generated inside by the occupants you get condensation.

While camping in cold weather, I have been able to keep condensation at bay with a 30qt dehumidifier. Wake up in the morning with no condensation on the windows.

Good luck.