PDA

View Full Version : Replacing grey water tank for kitchen

antiqfreq
12-26-2013, 07:29 AM
While camping two weeks ago, we discovered a crack in the neck of our grey tank in the kitchen area.

Didn't know this till we hooked up, ready to leave and water was pouring out from under the fiver.

Hubby took out the tank last weekend (what a job) and now we have to find one.

The measurements don't seem to help us much as nothing matches up to what we find on line.

We have a 2007, 291RLS fiver, and I need a grey tank - any ideas ??

Our tank has a little sticker from Starcraft Products who makes the tank and where it said 'measurements' it was blank. And no model or item number there.

Jo

JRTJH
12-26-2013, 08:12 AM
antiqfreq,

Unlike years past, currently there are some really great polyethylene/polypropylene repair kits. Do an online search at CW or one of the other RV supply houses and see what's available. With the tank out of the RV, it's really an easy task to repair the crack and the current kits are designed to repair some pretty significant damage with permanent results.

It's a bunch cheaper to buy a $25 kit than a $300 tank that isn't the right shape or size......

Good Luck

airforceret
12-26-2013, 08:42 AM
ditto on the repair since you have it out already.

a direct replacement may not be available if it is no longer being installed in new RVs.

hankpage
12-26-2013, 09:22 AM
Jo, If you are not confident in a repair, have you looked at PLASTIC-MART (http://www.plastic-mart.com/category/34/rv-holding-tanks). We have a similar trailer and the tank capacities are listed inside one of the kitchen upper cabinets. Our galley tank is 28 gallons and appears close in size to one they have listed. Starcraft is now owned by Jayco .... I think. Not that that helps any. Good luck in your quest, Hank

antiqfreq
12-28-2013, 04:29 PM
So far we have decided to try to 'mend' the tank crack, near the neck and give it more support when re-installing it.

I ordered from Amazon, from a company called Plasti-Mend, for about $42.00 a repair kit and we'll see how that goes.

Jo

;)