PDA

View Full Version : Changing Dometic Single Zone Thermostat

ronberry
12-23-2013, 08:11 AM
I have a Dometic Single zone thermostat in my Keystone Hideout 27FLBSWE travel trailer.

I am interested in changing the current Single Zone Dometic thermostat with a programmable thermostat. A perfect solution would be to be able to utilize thermostats that are typically used in homes today.

Has anyone changed out the thermostat, and if so - with what

Festus2
12-23-2013, 08:17 AM
ronberry -
A number of members have swapped their OE thermostat with a programmable one and if you do a forum search (type in "programmable thermostat), you will find numerous posts about this very topic. Two of the popular models are Hunter and Honeywell. Just make sure you get one that runs off batteries and is not used for baseboard heaters.

ronberry
12-23-2013, 08:52 AM
Unfortunately, from what I can see from the other posts, they are not deailing with a single zone thermostat from Dometic, which is wired differently that others (or so it would appear)

It has 3 wires, 1(COMM), 2 marked 12V

Inherentwired1
02-05-2014, 05:04 PM
The 3 wire to stat on dometic is actually a trunk communications wire to a circuit board which remotely controls your heat and ac. Unless you're pretty good at controls, stick with the stock thermostat...it's not that bad once you understand the on-line manual.

superdog404
02-06-2014, 09:30 AM
Hi ronberry - I also wanted to do what you do. I only have the 3 wires for the thermostat. If you look in the install manual near the back it talks about digital thermostats and having a, I think like cat 5 cable between the ac and the thermostat. In researching this I couldn't figure out exactly what they were talking about. I ended up calling Dometic Tech and found out you need a different control box in the ac unit itself plus the thermostat. I wanted to use the Dometic Digital Comfort Control Center. So, according to tech you need the new control box plus the thermostat plus the new cable. I think the control box kit was $92 and the thermostat is a hundred and some dollars. Long story short I guess I'll have to continue with the cheap 1 zoner.