PDA

View Full Version : Hensley Trailer Saver Hitch

Jim7411
12-21-2013, 02:07 PM
Just read an ad and did a little research on the Hensley air-ride hitch. At $2,300, I'm a little hesitant to purchase one without asking around for input. Anyone have one, or know someone who does? Are they worth it? There are other improvements I could do (like slide toppers) that would be somewhat less expensive.

Jim7411
12-26-2013, 12:29 PM
I'm totally flabbergasted! Nobody has an opinion on air hitches? Unbelievable."bouncey:

Festus2
12-26-2013, 01:11 PM
Jim -
Be patient. It's the holidays and our members may be(1) too full to move out of their Laz-E-Boys and unable to log on here; (2) caught up in the Boxing Day shopping madness or have gone missing in a mall somewhere; (3) inundated by in-laws and outlaws both young and old and are just overwhelmed by it all :eek: or (4) no one does have an opinion.

Seriously, if you do a forum search and type in "Hensley Air-Ride Hitch, there are 8 threads along with numerous posts where the Hensley Air-Ride hitch is mentioned. You will get some feedback that's already here on the forum - waiting for you.

f6bits
12-26-2013, 02:05 PM
I have an opinion. Why *wouldn't* someone get one for their fiver? Other than cost. Anything to cut down on the rolling earthquake is a plus in my book.

Quad
12-26-2013, 03:01 PM
Hensley air hitch...no, goosebox air hitch....yes lol I have the Reese goosebox and it has an air bag in it. It does make all the difference in the world with towing. I wouldn't go back to non air towing willing again.

2005 Silverado 2500HD D/A
2013 Laredo 321BH

chain_dogg
12-27-2013, 08:12 AM
Hensley air hitch...no, goosebox air hitch....yes lol I have the Reese goosebox and it has an air bag in it. It does make all the difference in the world with towing. I wouldn't go back to non air towing willing again.

2005 Silverado 2500HD D/A
2013 Laredo 321BH

I agree, I have one complete with a 3 inch riser kit, and shocks. Works great, you can see your trailer ride on the bags in the rear view mirror. I waited over 2 years and found mine on craigs list for 1,200. And got it for 800 Hensley also has great customer service, and support. I added the shocks for less than 100 bucks with hardware

X-Treme
12-27-2013, 08:25 AM
Just go with an air ride pin box. Probably a lot cheaper. And, there just happens to be one for sale on the forum right now. A Trail Air Tri-Glide if I'm not mistaken.

spicercars
12-28-2013, 05:31 AM
Air ride pin box all the way. Same results and a lot less money to spend. Depending on what pin box you have you can usually buy one for less then $1000.

webslave
12-29-2013, 10:55 AM
Air ride pin box all the way. Same results and a lot less money to spend. Depending on what pin box you have you can usually buy one for less then $1000.

X2

Don't get me wrong, the Hensley unit is quite nice, excellent actually, but, for half the price I've got the TrailAir Tri-Glide unit (for and aft + up and down cushioning) and with the B&W Companion, I get the same results and I've got a hitch I can remove without having a crane...

Jim7411
01-02-2014, 09:51 PM
Oh well, in for a penny, in for a pound. I ordered the hitch today. I've already got the 5th Airborne pin box, so with the air hitch I'll probably forget I've even got a fiver behind me. Wow, you should have seen that pig that just flew by my window!

webslave
01-03-2014, 02:57 PM
Or you may find that you've made matters worse... Quite often, using compound air bags (air bags on top of air bags that aren't tied together) exacerbates a problem rather than cures it...opposing air bags may set up a rebound issue and instigate a pulsating up and down motion. Hopefully that won't be an issue with your setup. That's why you don't see shock absorbers with multiple bodies on a single rod; multiple shocks mounted side by side; yes, but, not multiple shock units on a single shaft. You might want to contact Hensley and see what they say about using an air box on top an air hitch...

Cyncwby
01-09-2014, 11:53 PM
Sorry, just saw this post, we have the Hensley Trailer Saver hitch and I really can't imagine towing without it. I looked around for quite a while and found a couple of used ones but they were pretty beat up and left sitting outside so I passed. I finally found an '09 unit on ebay and it was hardly used, the paint wasn't even scratched up. I won the auction and paid $1020 + 321 shipped from Pa. To So. Utah. I installed the rails and hitch myself, very pleased with the ride as there is no chucking or noticable movement on the truck at all.

runaground
01-13-2014, 10:43 AM
I purchased one in November when I picked up our new 36 Pinnacle. NEVER even knew I had 12,500 lbs behind me. I could see the pinbox move all around asI was driving home but never felt a thing on the truck. One of the best investments I ever made. Long term - worth the $$.