PDA

View Full Version : Would you let a friend borrow your rig?

PT RV`er
12-17-2013, 04:37 AM
I`ve got a friend of mine who on occasion will ask if he can borrow my rig. He`s always talking about how he would love to take his wife to this park or that park. He has owned a pop-up in the past but now has adult kids and grand kids living close to home so he`s a little stretched on money. We always talk about our past camping experiences and where he would like to take his wife to get away from the kids. He has a truck that can pull an RV but it`s not set up like mine. We have our guys fishing weekends twice a year that he`s a part of so I guess this is where he`s getting the idea of borrowing my rig.
I sort of keep staying away from the subject but it always seems to come up.
So, what would you do?

Javi
12-17-2013, 04:45 AM
No... I have no friends who would even consider asking and if they did I'd question how much of a friend they really were. Consider what would happen if they damaged or mangled something in or about the trailer. Are they financially responsible enough to pay for repairs, are you so well off that expensive repairs are not a worry.

hankpage
12-17-2013, 05:09 AM
Absolutely not!!!! I had a friend ask and I told him that I valued his friendship too much. If he damaged my rig and could not repair it there would be hard feelings. He wanted my truck too. I also said that my DW would kill me. That he understood. "bouncey:

Outbackmel
12-17-2013, 06:39 AM
My neighbor hinted he was looking for a used motorcycle hauler, just like mine, for a trip to Florida. Here's the deal. I explained contingent liability on my insurance that even though I was covered to lend, any ambulance chasing lawyer worth his salt, will add ME as the responsible party in the event of any incident. If you think that you are protected against these vultures, think again.

I simply told my neighbor that it was not in either of our best interests to do this. I steered him to U-Haul. There are plenty of RV's for rent out there from Companies that specialize in doing this and heavily insured. Your friend is trying to get a bargain at the expense of your comfort. "forget about it" !

If something can go wrong it will, at the worst possible moment!!

JRTJH
12-17-2013, 06:43 AM
A great way to lose friendships (or become an "outcast relative") is to get into the "loan/borrow" arena. I've loaned tools that never returned, money that was never repaid, equipment that came back damaged or that was "stolen" and couldn't be returned. It almost always causes the borrower to feel obligated and not want to come talk about what happened and it makes me feel "used"... We (DW and I) finally just decided not to loan things. We will offer to help and bring our tools with us, but the tools don't go alone..... With something as big as an RV/TV combo? No way......

I finally found a sign at Hobby Lobby some years ago that proudly hangs in my pole barn. It reads, "If you need to borrow something, the guy down the street has better tools"...

I'd say, rather than loan something, it's best to just give it to the person, that way there's no obligation to take care of it or even to return it...

So, if you and the DW are thinking about a new truck and trailer....... :rolleyes:

There are some RV dealerships that do rent smaller travel trailers/motorhomes/class C's for a "reasonable" price. You might do a little research and suggest that option to him... Maybe, just maybe, he'll get the hint ????

Kristi
12-17-2013, 07:02 AM
We borrowed my in laws trailer once before we got ours, they offered, we didn't ask, also we stayed local. Even so I was so nervous about breaking something that we didn't enjoy the trip as much as we would have had it been ours. There are a select few that I would let take ours out, but none that would ask.

SAABDOCTOR
12-17-2013, 07:16 AM
If your friend is short on funds, there is no way he can pay for what he breaks! That aside. that is too big a liability to take on. the sharks will have a field day with the both of you in court. 4 things I don't loan out. My Wife Tools Camper and Truck! If he is a good friend and he wants to try camping locally. tow it there and show him how to set it then go back and pick it up but that would be about as far as i would go! good luck.

jsmith948
12-17-2013, 07:21 AM
My neighbor hinted he was looking for a used motorcycle hauler, just like mine, for a trip to Florida. Here's the deal. I explained contingent liability on my insurance that even though I was covered to lend, any ambulance chasing lawyer worth his salt, will add ME as the responsible party in the event of any incident. If you think that you are protected against these vultures, think again.

I simply told my neighbor that it was not in either of our best interests to do this. I steered him to U-Haul. There are plenty of RV's for rent out there from Companies that specialize in doing this and heavily insured. Your friend is trying to get a bargain at the expense of your comfort. "forget about it" !

If something can go wrong it will, at the worst possible moment!!

X2 ...... And Murphy was an optimist!!:D

dandjh1958
12-17-2013, 09:00 AM
Absolutely not- if he really wants to camp, he'll come up with the money to rent a rig.
I love SAABDOCTOR's credo of 4 things NOT to loan out but for me it's my hubby, my popup and trailer, and RAM truck. (they can borrow my Honday accord and Dodge Dakota). Tools I have lent out but since they usually get trashed, the person buys me new ones!

Happy camping!

hankaye
12-17-2013, 09:16 AM
Howdy All;

For me it's a simple NO.
This is my home, I'll not have someone taking my HOME
out for a jaunty weekend or whatever, would you???

hankaye

PT RV`er
12-17-2013, 09:23 AM
Thanks guys and gals, I knew ya`ll would get my head straight on this. I now have some great ideas and info for him next time he brings this up. I think I will do a search in our local area and see what companies and pricing I can pull up to have on hand. Hopefully he will get the hint. I don`t want to lose a friend over this issue because we do enjoy fishing a lot together.

airforceret
12-17-2013, 09:37 AM
It really comes down to the circumstances. My initial thought was no.

Clearly there would need to be some ground rules and guidelines agreed upon, and then there are the legal issues and liabilities, and insurance, but after some careful considerations of what I've been through this year, the answer is "maybe!"

If they were a really close friend, and given the right circumstances, I maybe could let someone borrow my RV.

I had someone loan me their RV for 5 weeks when I was in the Air Force so that I could spent time with my wife and son. It was priceless...

I could see lending my RV in a similar situation... it's something way bigger than "me!" But then again, real friends are hard to come by, now aren't they?

Bluewater
12-17-2013, 09:53 AM
Never..no way..absolutely not..period.

2014Fuzion300
12-17-2013, 12:24 PM
NO WAY Jose!
I prefer to let them stay at my house by themselves than let them use my camper!!!

instymp
12-17-2013, 03:15 PM
No, & I wouldn't ask to borrow a friends either.

davidjsimons
12-17-2013, 04:05 PM
Neither a borrower nor a lender be.

2013 Cougar 28 RBS
2012 Ram 3500 Dually
6.7 Cummins H.O.
4.10 rears.

SAD
12-17-2013, 04:14 PM
Thanks guys and gals, I knew ya`ll would get my head straight on this. I now have some great ideas and info for him next time he brings this up. I think I will do a search in our local area and see what companies and pricing I can pull up to have on hand. Hopefully he will get the hint. I don`t want to lose a friend over this issue because we do enjoy fishing a lot together.

Your only response needs to be, "I think it's not a good idea to loan out stuff like that."

If he asks, "What do you mean by 'Stuff like that?'"

The only response necessary from you is, "Stuff that's mine."

Steve S
12-17-2013, 04:24 PM
I'll have no problem lending my trailer out when I'm not using it. At the moment I live in it so that would be a problem! lol
I lend out everything from tools to my truck and my doors are always open when my family or friends are in the area on trips and need a place to stay.

SAD
12-17-2013, 04:26 PM
I'll have no problem lending my trailer out when I'm not using it. At the moment I live in it so that would be a problem! lol
I lend out everything from tools to my truck and my doors are always open when my family or friends are in the area on trips and need a place to stay.

Is your wife attractive?

Steve S
12-17-2013, 04:35 PM
Wife's not much to look at but my dog sure is hot but no one gets to borrow her!:):D

filmtex
12-17-2013, 04:45 PM
Nope. Never.

SAD
12-17-2013, 04:48 PM
Wife's not much to look at but my dog sure is hot but no one gets to borrow her!:):D

"bouncey:

10 suggestive characters

Trent McCain
12-17-2013, 07:16 PM
I would most likely say no but, if it's a close friend that has the respect, knowledge of operations, and financial resources to repair if damaged, then I'd consider it. I have friends that'd I'd trust with anything I own, and I have acquaintances, I won't trust with anything! My neighbor needed to haul a load of sod home, I offered my F350..."it's in the building if you need it, you're welcome to it." The next day I go over to help him lay sod and there's a rough old Chevy on the trailer load of sod. He said "I was really tempted to take you up on your offer, but then I figured I'd have to wash it, and I didn't want to take a chance on something happening to it" Everyone knows I take excellent care of my equipment One of my wife's friends (we'll call them an acquaintance) needed a wheelbarrow to clean up around their house I said no problem. They threw concrete pieces in it and broke the plastic tub. They haven't repaired the old one, or brought a new one by to replace it. Now I admit it's a $50 wheelbarrow, I had bought it for a project, it was like new, and for the few times I need it a year, it worked fine. I learned my lesson. I agree that sometimes it's better to say no and not risk losing a close friend....but if they would/could not be responsible for their actions, then they might not be that close of friend anyways. I'm good at lending, but not at borrowing. If I need something that bad I usually end up finding a way to own it, being young at 37, I figure I'll use it more than once in my lifetime anyways. Tough call on that one, if there is any doubt, better safe to say no.

Trent

schwalbach
12-17-2013, 07:29 PM
many years ago My buddy called me because his brother wanted to borrow his trailer for trip out west, I advised him against it, but said if his back was to the wall and he felt he should lend it to him he should at least be sure it was insured. He felt compelled to lend it, so I advised to have his brother pay for the insurance as my buddy normally did not insure it.

Long story short he got from Wisconsin to Cheyenne Wyoming and caught a cross wind and rolled the truck and trailer over and totaled them both out. Nothing left of either, rolled several times through the median.

His brother brought him 2 seat cushions and the gas tank, left all the dishes, tools etc. from the compartments in the salvage yard. Insurance paid up but to this day 5 years later he still complains when we camp (he got a different trailer) that he wish's he still had this that or the other thing that he lost when he loaned the trailer. By the way he has never lent out his trailer again!

JRTJH
12-17-2013, 07:30 PM
Trent,

Being "young" at 37 and thinking you'll probably need it again before you get "old" is a logical way to go about borrowing vs buying. I'm 66 and feel the same way. I "might not" need it before I'm too old to use it, but if I ever do, if I can find it, it's going to be in the pole barn somewhere.... If it's too expensive to buy (like a post hole digger for my tractor) the RentAll place in town has one for less than the price of a threatened friendship.

I'd rather "owe RentAll" than "owe a friend"

I like your way of thinking.

Trent McCain
12-17-2013, 07:41 PM
I just hope I don't need a wheelbarrow for awhile! LOL! I figure if I own it and take care of it...it'll last as long as I need it and then I can pass it on to the kids. I also figure if I don't have the experience/knowledge to own a piece of equipment (regardless of what it is) I usually know someone that has both, so I pay them to help me. I win, as I don't end up with something I don't know how to use, and they don't end up with a damaged piece of equipment! Man must know his limitations!

fla-gypsy
12-17-2013, 07:46 PM
No way, no time, no how for friend or family.

Sherwood
12-17-2013, 11:01 PM
No. Imagine if damage was done to the point that insurance was needed. Is the borrower going to not only pay the deductible but the increased premiums that comes after a claim? Not to mention all the previous poster's points.

Mark TC
12-18-2013, 12:14 AM
No, I have had the brother in law hint and I stopped him in his tracks. Told him he could not afford the gas.he is always borrowing something and never brings hi back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

PT RV`er
12-18-2013, 05:38 AM

That's funny

No, I have had the brother in law hint and I stopped him in his tracks. Told him he could not afford the gas.he is always borrowing something and never brings hi back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Now that you mention that, he does borrow things on occasion and doesn`t bring them back. I started keeping a list of items that he`s borrowed that he still has. A few items I just gave up on getting back.
As far as the legality part of lending the rig out, I now have a better understanding if something were to happen while in his possession. I can only imagine what an ambulance chasing lawyer would do if there was an accident. After all the great responses, it`s best that next time he brings it up, we`ll have to have a sit down over a cold beer and get real about it.

GaryWT
12-18-2013, 07:34 AM
Most likely no, the one person I would say yes to has his own so he would not ask. Loaned a pop up once but the friend was thinking of buying it and was camping with us so it worked out.

Albert
12-18-2013, 09:48 AM
There are a couple of friends I would loan anything I have. They take better care of things than I do. We have loaned our RV and truck to our kids on several occasions.

We loan things to the kids knowing full well accidents can happen. However, the joy of seeing them take their children camping is well worth the risk of loaning it out. We also enjoy taking the grand kids camping with us on occasion.

Happy camping.

FullTimer
12-18-2013, 10:18 AM
Lol, my sister loaned her 5th out once. Had to go get it after 5 months and when she got it back, the carpet was trashed and it was full of beer cans. So I learned from her mistakes lol, that's a NO.

Ken / Claudia
12-18-2013, 07:42 PM
I say NO as the answer to that question. Not to use for vacations. I will say yes to afew close friends and family for emergency use. That is if needed due to loss of home or need to stay near other loved ones in emergencys. I would drive to the site make sure the trailer is set up and the person knows how to use it.

2011 keystone
12-19-2013, 05:31 PM
Is your wife attractive?

LOL Thats funny

fred1609
12-19-2013, 09:14 PM
No.....neither a borrower or a lender be.......great way to loose a friendship I think.

ocbms
12-20-2013, 06:43 AM
I say NO as the answer to that question. Not to use for vacations. I will say yes to afew close friends and family for emergency use. That is if needed due to loss of home or need to stay near other loved ones in emergencys. I would drive to the site make sure the trailer is set up and the person knows how to use it.

That's an AMEN.
On a previous little (14 feet) CC, I pulled up to 180 miles to help a friend with wife and 3 small children. I helped others, but always pulled and parked. I would do the same with my 37' FW but shorter durations.

KanTC
12-20-2013, 08:14 AM
If simply a friend/acquaintance wanting to *get-away/travel* & use our RV, then "NO!"... far too much at stake.

A close friend/family member *in need* (health emergency/crisis/fire, etc), is a very different circumstance,
and in that case we'd deliver the 5th wheel.

Terri, the Chevy co-pilot :)

Jca3
12-21-2013, 12:51 PM
I`ve got a friend of mine who on occasion will ask if he can borrow my rig. He`s always talking about how he would love to take his wife to this park or that park. He has owned a pop-up in the past but now has adult kids and grand kids living close to home so he`s a little stretched on money. We always talk about our past camping experiences and where he would like to take his wife to get away from the kids. He has a truck that can pull an RV but it`s not set up like mine. We have our guys fishing weekends twice a year that he`s a part of so I guess this is where he`s getting the idea of borrowing my rig.
I sort of keep staying away from the subject but it always seems to come up.
So, what would you do?

Absolutely not. If something breaks I want to be the one to break it. I don't even like people staying in it when it's parked beside the house. We had our mirror broken on the closet doors.

Steve S
12-21-2013, 05:49 PM
It's only a materialistic possession, it's not like it's your first born!
If I was so worried about someone borrowing something and breaking it by mistake I think I would spend a few bucks on a front gate and razor wire around my property.
Things happen in life and worrying about possessions would make me grow old fast!:)

2014Fuzion300
12-21-2013, 06:38 PM

If I was so worried about someone borrowing something and breaking it by mistake I think I would spend a few bucks on a front gate and razor wire around my property.

Things happen in life and worrying about possessions would make me grow old fast!:)

I don't worry, but I can't afford to replace it either..... so NO borrowing !!

JRTJH
12-21-2013, 06:44 PM

Hey Gang,

We just found out where to borrow stuff (tx)

Steve S
12-21-2013, 06:50 PM
Hey Gang,

We just found out where to borrow stuff (tx)

Yep, if you're an upstanding neighbor that has a job, family and credibility with the community I would have no problem.
I lived on Saturna Island for yrs, no cops, lawyers or low lives. I could come home from fishing and my truck would be gone. Later that day it would be returned with a case of beer on the seat and I had no idea who borrowed it!
I have no enemies nor would I like any, I trust people.

JRTJH
12-21-2013, 07:17 PM
Nowdays, it's more like: I came home from fishing, my truck was gone. A few days later, the cops found it with a case of empty beer cans in it, the motor was gone and there were allegations that it was used in a drug deal.... My how things have changed :banghead:

My mother (I won't say where she lives) doesn't even know where the key to her front door is. It's an old skeleton key, and her logic is that there's a big glass window in the door, anybody that wanted in would break the glass and it's too expensive to replace, so I just leave the door unlocked so they won't break anything..... Ya know, so far (knock on wood) she's been lucky.

Steve S
12-21-2013, 07:31 PM
That's a smart way to be as I hear that if you get broken in to it takes some time to get a door fixed.
Oh here's one for you, my brother in-law was by today wanting to borrow a drill.
I lent it to him and in short I just priced a new one as I'll never see it again! lol

Al Sandoval
12-22-2013, 06:44 AM
:banghead:Heck no

Jca3
12-22-2013, 08:44 AM
I don't worry, but I can't afford to replace it either..... so NO borrowing !!

That was exactly my thought and you beat me to it. Our fifth wheel is our get away. Yup it's a material possession but it means a whole lot more than just a material thing, it is a lifestyle that we may not be able to replace if wrecked.

curlyfungirl
12-22-2013, 07:09 PM
If your friend is so anxious to go rving, he can rent one and see how he likes it. Sounds like he is a bit on the cheap side not to mention not too concerned about your property. It was like when my mother's neighbor asked if her daughter could have an unchaperoned pool party at my mothers house! Are you kidding????:confused:

Festus2
12-22-2013, 07:52 PM
Yep, if you're an upstanding neighbor that has a job, family and credibility with the community I would have no problem.
I lived on Saturna Island for yrs, no cops, lawyers or low lives. I could come home from fishing and my truck would be gone. Later that day it would be returned with a case of beer on the seat and I had no idea who borrowed it!
I have no enemies nor would I like any, I trust people.

Steve -
But what you didn't mention is that if some "Saturna Low Life" should happen to steal your truck, he wouldn't get very far very fast. There is only 1 way off your island - by ferry - which runs, what, 5 or 6 times a day/night?

Dudly Do Right would have him behind bars in no time :D .

What idiot would steal anything from anyone living on Saturna?

fred1609
12-22-2013, 08:29 PM
I agree Saturna is a bit of an exceptional case....how much does it cost to get a TT of the Island? How are the cuts to service going to reduce trips to the Island.....I have friends on Mayne Isl and they don't lock the doors.....but to the East lies the reality of the big city.....where I doubt you would let your nameless neighbour borrow your gear.......lol

Steve S
12-22-2013, 09:52 PM
I own a cabin on Mayne Island and with my last RV it cost me about $250.00 to get there which isn't too bad. The return trip is included in that price.
Thieves are on the islands to they just use boats and for the most part they're just kids and they always get caught.

Festus2
12-22-2013, 10:13 PM
Steve -
Charge for 5th and truck (46 ft length overall) plus driver and passenger from Vancouver (mainland) to Nanaimo (Vancouver Island) is almost $240 ONE WAY! And we have a "smaller" 5th wheel!! When ferry rates go up shortly, it will be close to $275 (No more FREE weekday fares for seniors).
Have something to eat and you are looking at $300 for a one way ticket. And "that isn't too bad" ??? :eek: :eek:

fred1609
12-22-2013, 10:28 PM
That's why when I get off the Island in Aug I use the Black Ball or Washington State Ferrys which last year cost about $160 (52 foot total) where the BC ferry would have cost us $240 plus.

PT RV`er
12-23-2013, 06:02 AM
Great responses to the question. I am like a lot of you, I don`t feel comfortable lending out my possessions. After all I worked my butt off to be able to afford a few dream toys. My rig is definitely an item I thought I could never afford in my earlier days. But low and behold, a lot of hard work and patients and here I am. I don`t think a good friend would understand what really went into me being able to purchase a toy like this. So I have to agree with the majority, I think I`ll steer him in the direction of rental RV`s. That way if he wanted we could all go camping together. I knew there had to be a positive outcome in there somewhere.

Western Traveler
12-23-2013, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the morning laughter to tears with some of these responses!
I have an ex-friend that was always asking for favors that cost me money.

DW and I were recently discussing this very topic. We now have a few good answers for them.

Friends stay in our home a lot when we are not there, drive my truck if needed and my shop is open to my neighbors if they need tools, log splitter, generator, decoys or anything else in there whether I am around or not.

Our last TT was on a permanent space at the Colorado River and friends used it from time to time, a few had keys to it.

This however is the first new TT we have owned, a luxury item and outside of a couple of close friends that I would trust with it but would NEVER ask, no one but us for now.

We just came from several years of tent camping while working towards this new rig and think it is a great way for those that can't afford to rent or buy an RV to enjoy and experience the outdoors.

zuley
12-23-2013, 12:59 PM
A few years back, my boss who I have worked with for 30 years, asked my thoughts on where to take his family on a boating vacation. They had just purchased a trailerable boat. Being a boater in a past life I suggested an area where we previously boated and now camp at. He was interested and mentioned looking for B and B type accommodations. I suggested I would drag our camper up to the campground, spend the weekend until they arrived, and then head back the following Friday to start our vacation. Having just had a pop up at the time I really did not think they would take me up on my offer. The following day Mike came back to me and said his wife was interested to my surprise. Worked out great for us as it gave us an extra weekend camping and when we showed up the following Friday evening everything was set to go for us. We did this three years in a row with our pop up. I'm pretty anal as far as keeping my toys clean and in pristine condition. We would arrive the following Friday eve and the campsite would be raked, stacked with fire wood and the camper cleaner than when we left it (if that's possible) along with a gift certificate for our favorite restaurant. His kids do the tent thing and are only allowed in the camper to help with the dishes. This past summer we upgraded to a full size TT. I was perhaps a little apprehensive with them using it being somewhat unsure of all the workings of the camper myself. Everything worked out great and we are discussing this coming summer with them.
Having said all this I can't think of anyone else I would consider doing what we do with. It works out great for both of us.

jje1960
12-23-2013, 02:07 PM
Nope. Just wondering who would ask such a thing. Now, offering is a different story, but to just come out and ask if you can 'borrow' something like a RV / RV-TV is kind of strange.

PT RV`er
12-24-2013, 04:45 PM
A few years back, my boss who I have worked with for 30 years, asked my thoughts on where to take his family on a boating vacation. They had just purchased a trailerable boat. Being a boater in a past life I suggested an area where we previously boated and now camp at. He was interested and mentioned looking for B and B type accommodations. I suggested I would drag our camper up to the campground, spend the weekend until they arrived, and then head back the following Friday to start our vacation. Having just had a pop up at the time I really did not think they would take me up on my offer. The following day Mike came back to me and said his wife was interested to my surprise. Worked out great for us as it gave us an extra weekend camping and when we showed up the following Friday evening everything was set to go for us. We did this three years in a row with our pop up. I'm pretty anal as far as keeping my toys clean and in pristine condition. We would arrive the following Friday eve and the campsite would be raked, stacked with fire wood and the camper cleaner than when we left it (if that's possible) along with a gift certificate for our favorite restaurant. His kids do the tent thing and are only allowed in the camper to help with the dishes. This past summer we upgraded to a full size TT. I was perhaps a little apprehensive with them using it being somewhat unsure of all the workings of the camper myself. Everything worked out great and we are discussing this coming summer with them.
Having said all this I can't think of anyone else I would consider doing what we do with. It works out great for both of us.

Now if I had a friend like that, it might be a different answer. That's fantastic that they will do all that for you and your toys. They obviously enjoy it themselves and are willing to make sure they keep on your good side.

fred1609
12-28-2013, 10:20 PM
I think your friend is the exception and not the rule.....There are some people out there that will ask for things knowing that most folks won't, out of politeness, say no.....I think at the end of the day its a great way to put a friendship at risk.

Randy_K
01-01-2014, 07:24 AM

Thanks again for lending this guy your generator for a week. Only needed it a few hours but it was nice to have when the DW left the light on in the basement. I normally don't like to borrow stuff but did take you up on your generous offer.

Now lets wish this snow away so we can go camping :)

Randy