PDA

View Full Version : AZ stuff to do and see?

gkainz
12-15-2013, 09:03 PM
Anyone with suggestions on things to do and see between Denver and Kingman, AZ (via I25 and I40)? We're on our way to Lake Havasu for a few days of fishing and water play sometime in the next month or so.

MarkS
12-16-2013, 03:30 AM
You have to see Grand Canyon at least once.

geo
12-16-2013, 06:35 AM
In no particular order:

Santa Fe, NM
Grants lava flow, NM
Chaco Canyon NM
Painted Desert/Petrified Forest, AZ
Meteor Crater, AZ
Winslow, Arizona (and a flat bed Ford)
Sunset Crater National Monument, AZ
Rainbow Rock Shop, AZ
From Williams, ride the steam train to Grand Canyon South Rim

Probably more later ...

Ron

Murphsmom
12-16-2013, 06:52 AM
Bandelier National Monument, Near Los Alamos and Santa Fe, NM.

gkainz
12-16-2013, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the suggestions ... I should have noted that we've done and seen the Grand Canyon a few times - I don't imagine it's changed much since last we saw it. :)

My wife wants some photos of churches, pueblos, etc for her to paint. Not sure what else.

I have to admit I'm a pretty destination-focused traveler. Potty stops better coincide with diesel fill-ups! (yeah, I am trying to get better at "stop and smell the roses").

geo
12-16-2013, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the suggestions ... I should have noted that we've done and seen the Grand Canyon a few times - I don't imagine it's changed much since last we saw it. :)

My wife wants some photos of churches, pueblos, etc for her to paint. Not sure what else.

I have to admit I'm a pretty destination-focused traveler. Potty stops better coincide with diesel fill-ups! (yeah, I am trying to get better at "stop and smell the roses").

Ancient or modern pueblos? Several modern pueblo communities along I-25 between Santa Fe and Albuquerque - but mostly mobile homes. Taos Pueblo if you want to detour near Santa Fe. Classic pueblo Catholic church at Taos. Yes, Bandelier would be good. Chaco has a classic place in ancient pueblos, but it is a detour up US550, and I wouldn't recommend pulling anything south on NM57 (though I have pulled a loaded pop-up on that dirt road). The Square in Santa Fe might suffice - short walk to St. Francis of Assisi Catherdral, the Pink Adobe, Loretto Chapel, La Fonda, Palace of the Governors. Have to visit the Original Trading Post and sit on the balcony at The Plaza Cafe (if it is warm). Painting? Try a visit to the Georgia O'Keeffe Museum.

Ron

theeyres
12-16-2013, 08:08 PM
Ancient or modern pueblos? Several modern pueblo communities along I-25 between Santa Fe and Albuquerque - but mostly mobile homes. Taos Pueblo if you want to detour near Santa Fe. Classic pueblo Catholic church at Taos. Yes, Bandelier would be good. Chaco has a classic place in ancient pueblos, but it is a detour up US550, and I wouldn't recommend pulling anything south on NM57 (though I have pulled a loaded pop-up on that dirt road). The Square in Santa Fe might suffice - short walk to St. Francis of Assisi Catherdral, the Pink Adobe, Loretto Chapel, La Fonda, Palace of the Governors. Have to visit the Original Trading Post and sit on the balcony at The Plaza Cafe (if it is warm). Painting? Try a visit to the Georgia O'Keeffe Museum.

Ron

I can't think of a better list than this. It will keep your wife happily painting for months or years. For me, the Taos Pueblo is near the top of the list.

firemedic341
12-16-2013, 08:15 PM
I'm thinking this guy GEO, knows what he's talking about

geo
12-17-2013, 06:50 AM
Thank you very much. Chaco Canyon was my thesis area back during their "last dig" (circa 1972-1976). I was very lucky to have been a part of that time.

But for all: Bucket List Item - No matter your beliefs or orientation, some time in your life, you should attend "The Parade of the Virgin Mary" on Christmas Eve at the Taos Pueblo. You WILL have a memory to keep and a story to tell.

Ron

hankaye
12-17-2013, 09:25 AM
gkainz, Howdy;

Anyone with suggestions on things to do and see between Denver and Kingman, AZ (via I25 and I40)? We're on our way to Lake Havasu for a few days of fishing and water play sometime in the next month or so.

Just a heads-up, they are in the process of re-doing some parts of I-25
and I-25 in ABQ. Here's a link that can help you somewhat;
http://www.localconditions.com/weather-albuquerque-new-mexico/87101/traffic.php

hankaye

geo
12-17-2013, 09:34 AM
Gkainz - This might interest you for the Santa Fe area also:

http://santafeselection.com/visitor-info/pueblo-feast-days-calendar

Also, if you haven't been to Los Alamos, there are a couple of GREAT museums there telling the history of the Manhattan Project and the boys ranch that Oppenheimer took over for the Project.

Ron

gkainz
12-17-2013, 10:18 AM
good stuff here! Thanks!

re: ancient or modern pueblos ... hmmm, no idea! I imagine "modern" - meaning 200 years old or newer, right?

re: Los Alamos ... haven't been there, but did work at Rocky Flats, so I'm pre-authorized and glowing ...