PDA

View Full Version : Anybody add a switch or light closer to door?

slider
12-10-2013, 08:52 PM
Has anybody added a light or a switch for lights closer to the door? I want to but not sure I am ready to tackle it. Thinking short term just getting one of those stick on battery lights, just to light up the room until I can get to the other lights.

WaltBennett
12-11-2013, 03:48 AM
Both HD & L have motion detector type LED lights (as do tons of places on the internet). I put one next to our door & disconnected the doorway switch that turned on half the ceiling lights (talk about a bug attractor every time you opened the door!). Stuck it on with some velcro so it would be easy to replace the batteries.

GaryWT
12-11-2013, 06:02 PM
Where is your light switch now? My happens to be at the door on the control panel, I can turn inside and outside lights on before entering.

slider
12-11-2013, 06:26 PM
Mine is in the control panel, with awning and slide buttons and porch light, etc. There is a switch for the main lights in the camper for those (if you leave them on at the indiv lights), but it isn't easy for me to find in the dark.

Easier for me to leave that switch on and as I enter the camper run my hand along the ceiling until I feel the overhead light right in front of the entertainment center.

jsmith948
12-12-2013, 07:53 AM
Interesting thread and it has given me a good idea. I think it would be good to have a weather-proof switch , located in the step storage area, that turns on the porch/steps lights. This will make locking/unlocking the trailer from outside when it's dark much easier.(tx)

Kristi
12-12-2013, 10:51 AM
I have one of these on the counter by the door.
http://www.amazon.com/GE-55219-Battery-Operated-Round/dp/B000BPPN8I/ref=sr_1_1/183-2142760-0035108?ie=UTF8&qid=1386874193&sr=8-1&keywords=pop+light

GaryWT
12-12-2013, 01:55 PM
Ok so your panel is not at the door. Maybe a tap light at the door will work for you.

slider
12-12-2013, 04:33 PM
More beside the bed than at the door, so a tap light may be in order.

Also like the idea of an outside switch for the porch light.....

jsmith948
12-13-2013, 05:11 AM
Been thinking more about the outside switch. It would have to be a 3-way set up in order to avoid having to go back outside to turn the light off after entering the 5er. I'll have to check with 'Marinco" to see if anyone makes 3-way switches for 12V applications. I guess I could just use the remote and turn on the 'scare light' - but, then I have to carry the remote:(
Sorry - just my convoluted thought process:p

flybouy
12-13-2013, 05:25 AM
Sounds like Santa needs to put a flashlight in your stocking:)

jsmith948
12-14-2013, 06:49 AM
Definition of a flashlight: An anodized aluminum tube used to store dead batteries;)

montanajoe
12-20-2013, 07:28 PM
hello,
in my 2008 Everest, I was able to take the switch out and the wall behind it is hallow. i took a wire hanger and sent i down to the downstairs storage compartment. then i tied a new wire to the hanger and pulled it down.next i ran a hanger under the bottom step next to the outside wall and pulled the new wire through.
went to home depot and bought that plastic square strips, i think it comes in 4' pieces, made to hide wire, and it sticks to the wall. bought a double light switch from the camping store and hooked the wires up the same way they were hooked up on the original switch. i ran the plastic strip up along the door molding,i also did the porch light with the new double switch.
i left the dead switchs in the cabinet so i didn't have holes in the cabinet. works great. good luck

Jim Dow
12-25-2013, 07:22 PM
I put Day/Night/Motion sensor lights on the floor of the bathroom, under the dining table, and at the top of the stairs in our Montana/High Country.

These three lights are switched on all the time and they work great to keep from stumbling over something or falling down the stairs. They are battery operated; and one set of batteries works for about nine months.

They were purchased at Lowes for around $5 to $7 each.