PDA

View Full Version : backing up 41' 3 axel

cmemx1
12-10-2013, 05:00 PM
Just how sharp can you cut in while backing up a fifth wheel? I've seen a someone slide their tires sideways to get the right angle, maybe on dirt, But paved road?? I know sometimes you have to make sharp turns, Just curious, is there a limit you shouldn't exceed?

Festus2
12-10-2013, 07:11 PM
In part, it depends upon the length of your truck box, the type of slide you have and the physical shape of the nose of the 5th wheel. Most "modern" 5th wheels have a nose designed so that it enables tighter turns.

I'd take your hitched up unit to a vacant parking lot and practice backing up and turning and have someone standing close by so they can see where the back of the truck window is in relation to the corner of the 5th wheel nose. That will give you a pretty good idea how "tight" you can turn before blowing out the window of your TV.

Depending upon your truck bed, hitch and 5th wheel nose , the limits will vary so there isn't a "fixed" limit that one should not exceed. There are too many variables that will have an effect on how sharp you can turn.

MarkS
12-10-2013, 08:34 PM
Every so often you see discussion on tires deflecting in a tight back in. I have seen it on my 5er. I have not seen any posts about actual damage to tire or rims. More of an issue on pavement than dirt.

One suggestion that I think is good, is to pull forward and straighten up before dropping the trailer. This is to relieve the stress on the tires.

crash
12-11-2013, 03:29 AM
I agree if you get into a tight spot it is always a good idea to pull forward some to straighten the tires to relieve the stress on the side walls of the tires,Just my 2 cents:D

cmemx1
12-11-2013, 06:19 AM
Just how sharp can you cut in while backing up a fifth wheel? I've seen a someone slide their tires sideways to get the right angle, maybe on dirt, But paved road?? I know sometimes you have to make sharp turns, Just curious, is there a limit you shouldn't exceed?

Thank You For The Info

concours
12-11-2013, 07:04 AM
I'm more concerned about braking a spring shackle they are not designed to take sideways stress, I just bought a Mor/ryde wet kit that has much stronger shackles

airforceret
12-11-2013, 11:00 AM
If you carry some fine grain playground sand as part of your emergency kit, you can use it to throw down in an emergency if you find yourself needing to make one of those really tight turns on pavement. It will allow the tires to slip under extreme load relieving some of the binding of the sidewall under stress.

jlb27537
12-12-2013, 11:41 AM
I'm more concerned about braking a spring shackle they are not designed to take sideways stress, I just bought a Mor/ryde wet kit that has much stronger shackles

You might also look at the Mor/ryde X Factor braces. Got them on mine. Helps with the side forces on the spring hangers.

Jim

concours
12-13-2013, 06:54 AM
I would put them on mine but too much sewer plumbing in the way if I changed it I would have to have 2 sewer hose hook ups which would not be as convenient