PDA

View Full Version : It's been 7 weeks....

LZScout
12-05-2013, 08:59 PM
I took my 2013 Alpine 3250RL into my dealer almost 7 weeks ago. Mostly minor things really but some parts had to be ordered. My dealer (Noble RV) has done a good job on the repairs but they are at the mercy of Keystone. I'm still waiting on a replacement screen door (ours was warped) and a replacement spare tire winch (ours looked like it had been dragged acoss something) . Maybe I'll get it to the storage lot before next year?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4

Ron
12-05-2013, 09:27 PM
I feel your pain, every time ours went in for warranty, It took forever to get it back. We have owned our Montana for 2 years this January and so far it has not been in our possession in our building under cover for 6 months off and on, instead at the dealer or at Keystone's plant in Pendleton Or. Hope you get your Alpine back soon...

outwest
12-06-2013, 02:34 AM
I feel your pain. Our Vantage has been at dealer for 2 months this time around (last time was nearly a month), waiting on a replacement bumper. :(

Essness
12-06-2013, 03:31 AM
Ours went in to Camping World in (Chicago) October 25th........ they called and said it was done November 20th, when I went to pick it up, the battery was dead. Hooked it to the truck so I could get the tounge jack to work and the kitchen light was on. Tounge jack wouldnt work, generator wouldn't start....... since it went in for warranty repairs on the generator I really wanted to start it. It's been 2 weeks and it's still there supposedly waiting for parts.

Snow expected this weekend which will make it extremely difficult to get it to it's storage spot...........
I guess the "professional techs" at Camping world didn't realize that leaving lights on would run the battery down:confused:

robo
12-06-2013, 03:47 AM
We dropped our passport sept 30 still waiting

LZScout
12-06-2013, 06:23 AM
I didn't realize our unhappy club would have so many members.

JRTJH
12-06-2013, 06:56 AM
Maybe turn an "unhappy club" into a "happy club" by waiting until October/November to take it to the dealer for repairs. Cancel your storage lot space and count on the dealer to store your RV over the winter.....

That way, either you'll get it back in a week or get free storage for the winter :D

byrdr1
12-06-2013, 07:04 AM
Maybe turn an "unhappy club" into a "happy club" by waiting until October/November to take it to the dealer for repairs. Cancel your storage lot space and count on the dealer to store your RV over the winter.....

That way, either you'll get it back in a week or get free storage for the winter :D
Just make sure it is winterized!!!
randy

outwest
12-06-2013, 07:13 AM
Just make sure it is winterized!!!
randyhoping that dealer did proper job winterizing ours. Didn't dream it'd take this long so didn't winterize it before taking it in and ended up calling a couple of weeks ago to ask them to winterize it (to the tune of $65 or $69, forget which :( )

JRTJH
12-06-2013, 08:01 AM
hoping that dealer did proper job winterizing ours. Didn't dream it'd take this long so didn't winterize it before taking it in and ended up calling a couple of weeks ago to ask them to winterize it (to the tune of $65 or $69, forget which :( )

Hmmmm "The great dealer heist", hold trailers hostage until the weather gets cold, that way they can make an extra $50-$100 by winterizing "hostage RV's".... Man, the things some dealers "won't do" for the extra few bucks LOL

No really, I wonder if the dealer hasn't winterized it yet (or even thought about it) whether or not they will hold themselves responsible for any damage from freezing...... In a way, it's their responsibility, but can also easily be "shuffled off" as, "You could have come and picked it up any time to winterize it." :confused:

thekid
12-06-2013, 11:41 AM
Oct. 2 ed. don't have it yet.

Outbackmel
12-06-2013, 12:20 PM
You are just kidding right? Whatever is frozen and broken is coming back at you FAST! Any really concerned dealer would call you and say: we noticed your RV is not prepared for this freeze forecasted. For x$ we will gladly winterize the unit for you. What say you; yes or no? Bet that did not happen! :)

JRTJH
12-06-2013, 02:27 PM
Outbackmel,

I think your "key operative statement" would be, "any really concerned dealer"...

I'd suspect that not many dealerships even think far enough beyond the scheduling board to think about calling to confirm whether a customer's RV was winterized before it was dropped off for repair.

If it takes 7+ weeks to effect basic repairs, I'd have to believe that dealership is not one that I'd want to put in the "really concerned" category...... :soapbox:

Roller4Tan
12-06-2013, 04:02 PM
I wonder how they get them in for winterizing but not for repairs...

Brantlaker
12-06-2013, 04:58 PM
I don't know about the rest of the country but in New York there is a Bailment Law stating that if the a Car,Truck,Trailer & Motorcycle is left for repair the Repair shop is responsible for it that includes winterization if needed.I know from experience a truck was brought in to me for repair and no antifreeze in the engine it froze up and cracked the block( was in for a transmission repair) I had to eat the engine repair. My dealer told me last March when i dropped it off for warranty work that i could leave it there as long as I wanted to it was done 1 week after I left it and picked it up the 1st week in June when I needed it.I love these guy's

LZScout
12-06-2013, 08:07 PM
My warrantee repair items included work on the water/plumbing so the dealer winterized it at no cost to me.

theeyres
12-06-2013, 08:29 PM
After owning various Rvs for 50 years I really suspect that the problem lies with the dealer. I just think many dealers don't give a rip and never push Keystone or anybody else to get parts in a timely manner. Of course, Keystone could start getting rid of a bunch of these incompetent dealers and just start dealing with dealers that are customer oriented!

outwest
12-06-2013, 08:39 PM
Service dept and I discussed the winterizing thing when dropped it off and I told them I'd take care of it. Mind you, this was Oct 11 and temps here in Oct are very mild (days with highs in 60s-70s) I didn't dream it'd be there so friggin long. I did call two or three days before freezing temps and they said they'd do it.

Called them again few days ago because a hard freeze (single digits) was on its way and asked them to plug it in for a bit to charge the batteries to prevent bursting (since last time it was there the battery was dead when went to pick it up). When I called about the batteries and mentioned how long it'd been there the person on the phone said, "is that the Vantage that we winterized?" So, they know. Big question is did they do it right (empty hot water, empty freshwater, remove water from black tank flush, etc)? Crossing fingers and toes.

Hope everyone's rigs are staying freeze-free during this winter blast that's crossing the nation.

vantage32fls
12-06-2013, 08:45 PM
Dropped ours off on Nov. 1, still not done. I did winterize before it went thought it might be awhile. It does make for more room in the driveway though, but it would be nice to go and sit in every now and then.

Lost
12-07-2013, 03:37 AM
I purposely didn't take our 5th wheel in for repairs until after we were done camping last summer. From what I've read I knew I wouldn't get it back for months. So before I took it in I winterized it. They have had it for over a month now but I don't care as long as I get it back by May. Only issue I can see is if they call me to pick it up when there is snow on the ground. My dirt road I live on is so narrow that I can only pull it in straight (not back it in). Therefore I have to pull it in straight then back it over the lawn to turn it around.

Yosemitebob
12-07-2013, 07:31 AM
I hope that you all realize that time in the dealership (with proof) is time added to the warranty, this doesn't hold true to all states so you must check your state laws. I should say that it has to be un-operable. Just sitting waiting for parts if you can still use it, would not pas the muster.

Quad
12-07-2013, 10:51 AM
Both times mine has been to the dealer for warranty repairs it has sat for 6 and 7 weeks. The hold up was with keystone too for parts.

2005 Silverado 2500HD D/A
2013 Laredo 321BH

Essness
12-08-2013, 06:38 AM
I purposely didn't take our 5th wheel in for repairs until after we were done camping last summer. From what I've read I knew I wouldn't get it back for months. So before I took it in I winterized it. They have had it for over a month now but I don't care as long as I get it back by May. Only issue I can see is if they call me to pick it up when there is snow on the ground. My dirt road I live on is so narrow that I can only pull it in straight (not back it in). Therefore I have to pull it in straight then back it over the lawn to turn it around.

This is the same issue I have. I store it on the back of my property, there is no road or paved path.
fortunately, I did get it back (after some pressure) on Friday. Got it put away yesterday, snow expected today.

sandee
12-26-2013, 02:57 PM
What do full-timers do when their "home" is in the shop for weeks or months?

laidback
12-26-2013, 04:09 PM
After staying in a motel for 8 weeks, I can tell You. I think You can figure it out now.

outwest
12-27-2013, 02:23 AM
finally got ours back. Was in from Oct 11 until Dec 20. Got billed for around $250 in labor charges ($70 was for winterizing, which was only because they had it so friggin long) and service guy said he was surprised they covered what they did what with it being out of warranty. WHAT?!?! It was IN warranty when we dropped it off! I paid the $ but didn't keep my mouth shut.

Some of the work wasn't happy with, but it is what it is. At least we got the major stuff done (e.g. new bumper)

airforceret
12-27-2013, 05:33 AM
Well I had hoped to get mine to the dealer for warranty before winter set in, but it's been cold and snowing here for weeks and every time I think I'm going to get a break in weather... it snows! LOL

fred1609
12-27-2013, 05:36 AM
I would have paid the $70 and nothing more. You dropped it off for warranty work and that's at no cost. I would phone keystone and start rattling chains....I think that dealer pulled a fast one.

BillnDeb
12-27-2013, 07:32 AM
So glad we discovered this thread! We don't feel so badly now! "bouncey:
We bought our Cougar Xlite 28SGS on Sept 4, 2013 and we were given a 2 day comp stay at a nearby campground. Everything seemed to work great and we learned a lot. We only had one technical glitch, so off we went to spend about 60 days in it and traveled nearly 2,000 miles. So of course, we then found the little things that should be warrantied.
I made a list and called the dealership. He said great, email it to him and he'll order the parts and we can bring it in the next Monday...so we were in hog heaven thinking we did the right and smart thing...we planned to take off in it for Christmas the next week, on Thursday. Long story short, even though the manager confirmed he got my email, he said it wasn't clear enough so he didn't order any parts (couldn't he have emailed me back and asked for clarification and pictures???) nor we were on the books for that appointment! So we left it there for the week and hoped to get it the following Monday or Tuesday to take it on another road trip (we love it so much are really thinking about going full time in it!)...again, long story short, they only fixed a very few things and said everything else is on order!
So we are counting our blessings! We'll take it back when ALL the parts are in and will just "camp out" there as it is an hour drive from our home...
So we're :cool3:

JRTJH
12-27-2013, 07:55 AM
BillnDeb,

You're right, the dealer should have contacted you to get explanations on things that weren't clear in your email. Especially since he told you that they would "go ahead and order the parts" so they would be available when you came in for repairs. But, if you emailed him one week and he said "bring it in next Monday." There's not much chance of having the parts available. Keystone (and most dealers) simply don't work on a "right now" basis. Usually it takes a couple of weeks or longer to get "routine ordered parts" to the dealership. Even "expedited" parts often take a week or longer depending on the factory's shipping and receiving department and how rapidly they can get the parts packed for shipment. Some things, like a strip of molding, a sheet of paneling, etc aren't shipped, they are put in the next RV to be delivered to that dealership as they won't ship easily and aren't really an "emergency" part. So, your dealer was pretty optimistic in saying that they would be ready for you next Monday....

outwest,

It's unfortunate that you had to pay even for the winterizing since it wasn't your fault they didn't get to your RV on a timely basis. You didn't explain what the added charges were for, so it's likely some of them weren't covered under warranty. Keystone's one year warranty is not "all inclusive". If you read the warranty section of the owner's manual, you'll see that slide adjustment, alignment, etc are covered for the first 90 days, resealing the roof is not covered, the manual says it's an "owner responsibility", but most dealerships will reseal during the first couple of months and some a bit longer. Without knowing what the dealership did to your RV, it's not possible to know if you were charged for warranty items or for "owner required maintenance" items. I think a lot of times, owners don't ask if there are items on the list that aren't covered by warranty, and the dealership doesn't explain things because they think the owner is aware, so when it comes time to pick up the RV, there's a dispute. Communication is really important and it's more often than not the weakest link.

Fred1609,

Not all maintenance or repair is covered by the warranty. There are a significant number of repair items that are "owner responsibility" and if the dealership works on those items, Keystone won't pay. The warranty is pretty specific about things not covered for the entire year. Some are only covered for 90 days and some, the way the warranty is written aren't covered at all. The DICOR sealant on the roof is one of those "not covered" items. Read the warranty very carefully to prevent being surprised when you go to the dealership with a long list of "to do" items. Many of them will be on your dime, not covered by Keystone's warranty.

BillnDeb
12-27-2013, 09:02 AM
Thanks! We'll be prepared now!
One thing I didn't mention was that he called us Thursday after the Monday drop off to say Keystone approved the warranty work!

JRTJH
12-27-2013, 10:10 AM
It's great your dealer called to let you know that Keystone "approved the warranty work" Now, the real question is: "What is THE warranty work" and "What isn't THE warranty work" that was on THE list ?????

BillnDeb
12-27-2013, 12:44 PM
We appreciate you pointing this out to us! We'll make sure we have plenty time to go over everything!

msp2jxr
12-27-2013, 12:50 PM
I bought one of my trailers through Noble RV in Owatonna and the repairs were done on time as promised but they didn't need to order anything...

LZScout
12-27-2013, 06:06 PM
Well, I'm off to Noble RV tomorrow to finally pick up the Alpine.

outwest
12-29-2013, 02:46 AM
outwest,

It's unfortunate that you had to pay even for the winterizing since it wasn't your fault they didn't get to your RV on a timely basis. You didn't explain what the added charges were for, so it's likely some of them weren't covered under warranty. Keystone's one year warranty is not "all inclusive". If you read the warranty section of the owner's manual, you'll see that slide adjustment, alignment, etc are covered for the first 90 days, resealing the roof is not covered, the manual says it's an "owner responsibility", but most dealerships will reseal during the first couple of months and some a bit longer. Without knowing what the dealership did to your RV, it's not possible to know if you were charged for warranty items or for "owner required maintenance" items. I think a lot of times, owners don't ask if there are items on the list that aren't covered by warranty, and the dealership doesn't explain things because they think the owner is aware, so when it comes time to pick up the RV, there's a dispute. Communication is really important and it's more often than not the weakest link.

The mildly annoying thing about them having the rig for so long was because it needed a new rear bumper (original came off on one side while going down the highway, causing irrepairable damage to it when it was flopping in the wind) and they had plenty of notice to get one in. Since was on a trip when it happened, it was over 2 months before could get rig to them. I phoned them up and told them it would need a new rear bumper, explaining the entire situation and offering to send pics so they could start the processing of the claim. However, they didn't start processing the warranty claim until we dropped it off. I can, though, understand they whys. After all, I might have decided to take it somewhere else, might have had a wreck on the highway in the interim which totaled the rig, etc.

I didn't get a real clear answer as to what the rest of the charges were for, only that it was for things keystone didn't cover. Your post explains the rest of the charges though, it was probably the slide. Thanks. I noticed that one of the cables had a huge amount of slack, so much so that the chain is barely staying on the gear (and was that way from the factory, just took me a bit to notice because of the fascia hiding it). So, I asked them to check it out. There were also two drawer latches that the screws had come out of the pressed wood (the two drawers under sofa) and they charged for that (and told me so when picked up rig), which didn't surprise me because it could easily be considered 'wear and tear'.

On the plus side, they fixed a couple of things that were simply shoddy workmanship - wallpaper had lots of large crinkles and bubbles, so they re-papered those areas, the canned goods drawer came open in transit because the latch wasn't installed properly, causing damage to the stainless fridge panel, and they replaced the fridge panel.

JRTJH
12-29-2013, 05:12 AM
It sounds like you got caught up in the "lack of communication from the dealer" aspect. It would cause much less frustration and anger if the dealership service writer would simply say, "A part of this list is not covered by warranty and Keystone will not pay for those items." Then, you and the service writer could go over that part of the list. But, I suppose that would take time to accomplish and if there are other customers waiting, or if he doesn't want to get into an argument about, "Why won't Keystone pay" kind of comments........ Really, there's no "best way" to handle that kind of situation, but delaying it until you pick up the RV is probably one of the worst ways...... :(

It's really unfortunate that people don't read the entire warranty and understand it BEFORE they drop off their RV for service. It would prevent a lot of unhappy customers who get surprised by a sometimes hefty bill on pickup. Folks think the warranty is "all inclusive" for one year. While maybe it should cover more than it does, that's not worth debating because Keystone doesn't appear motivated to change the warranty based on our concerns.

I remember "waaaaayyyy" back when Airstream had a "lifetime warranty"...... But the only thing that was "lifetime" about it was the paper it was printed on. The way it read, the aluminum superstructure, excluding rivets and sealant was under warranty for "life" to the original owner. The rest of the trailer was for 2 years except the countertops which were 3. But if anything happened, after the first 12 months labor was not included, only the materials to repair. So, if you took your "lifetime warranty" Airstream in for a leak next to the roof vent, expect to pay for everything since the aluminum skin wasn't faulty. We got unhappily surprised that way the first time because the salesman promised us, "Oh, it's guaranteed for life"..... Yeah, right..... After reading the warranty, I went back to talk to him about his promises, only to find he'd moved on to another dealership somewhere else.....

I'd urge everyone to dig out that "generic and essentially worthless" owners manual and read the warranty carefully. There are a few dealerships who will charge you saying "it isn't covered" (when it is) and there are many things that aren't covered that we'd assume would be.... Most are things we just add to the list "since it's going to be at the dealership" only to find out that we should have fixed it ourselves since it was only tightening a knob or putting some glue on a loose molding. Dealerships make their living doing those things, often for customers who thought Keystone was going to pay for it.

Oh, and if you've managed to read this far, you'll find the Dometic refrigerator warranty is for 3 years..... NOT REALLY !!!! unless you have the refrigerator inspected and serviced annually by a "certified Dometic technician.... The charge for that inspection is about $100. If the warranty booklet isn't stamped with his inspection and if you don't have the repair bill to prove he did it, Dometic only warrants the refrigerator for the first 12 months. There's a catch to far too many of these "extended past Keystone's warranty" perks.....

tdawg
12-29-2013, 05:49 AM
i must be a lucky one. Just picked up our Alpine Yesterday with no charge to us. They replaced a day/night shade that the string had broken, fixed noisey fireplace, new compartment door seal,and did some touch up on some caulking and replaced a bedroom slide outer seat that had a cut in it, all done with no charge to me.

LZScout
12-30-2013, 08:49 PM
You could be lucky or you might just have a good, reputable dealer like I do. All of my claims, once the parts arrived, were handled to my satisfaction. I have my RV again!

vallboss2
12-31-2013, 05:15 AM
I agree totally!