PDA

View Full Version : 1-1/2" list problem.

lifecamper
12-05-2013, 09:47 AM
I have a 2007 Springdale 279. I have noticed going down the road the big level shows a lean to the passenger side. When parked I am always in need of the 2X6 under the tires to get to level. Has anyone had to change out the springs and or added a leaf? Is this a common problem? Would be interested to know what others have done. Thanks in advance. Happy Holidays to all.:xmas3:

crash
12-05-2013, 10:42 AM
Have you checked to make sure all the tires are the same size?Just my 2 cents

lifecamper
12-05-2013, 10:45 AM
Yes all the tires are the same and inflated to the same PSI.

Jim & DJ
12-05-2013, 10:57 AM
Checked the spring shackles?

hankpage
12-05-2013, 11:13 AM
While on the road it is normal to list towards the low side of the crown of the road if all else is equal. Trailers are not made balanced so the location of slides and other heavy components can affect side to side spring sag. My Cougar, with slide extended on a level pad, lists slightly towards the slide. I prefer this so water drains away from interior.
If your Springdale is leaning away from the slide-out (usually the heavier side) I would look for the reason. F.Y.I. http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=299&pictureid=1410 Don't rely on that bubble as over-all level it may not be set correctly.

labs4life
12-05-2013, 01:16 PM
Have you checked the accuracy of the bubble level?? I used to set tile and I have gone through an entire rack of levels and not found a true one. If the bubbles are adjustable, this is ok, but I prefer a fixed bubble that is accurate.
Check the level to be sure it is on. If it is, you have already gotten some good advice on things to look for.

JRTJH
12-05-2013, 01:58 PM
In addition to checking the accuracy of the bubble in the level, don't forget that where you place it in the RV has a lot to do with reading accurately. Our refrigerator is off level about 1/2" front to back and our countertops are not level either. So, placing the level on the countertop or inside the freezer won't give an accurate reading of "level"...

As stated, check the shackles, the spring attachment bolts and axle U bolts.

If I remember your floorplan correctly, the only thing that is somewhat heavy on that side is the refrigerator. All the slide mechanism is pretty well centered between the frame rails and the slide is opposite the "listing side" on the roadside of the RV. If anything, the curb side should be slightly higher based solely on floorplan.

abneynormal
12-05-2013, 08:56 PM
I use a 2 foot level on the floor. I don't trust those cheap stick ons. as for your springe check the dimensions as well as the suspension. look for cracked or broken parts and do it on a level (preferably a concrete slab) surface. I am currently planning on putting a wet suspension kit under my 3912. im not taking chances. especially since lippert/ keystone uses plastic bushings on their springs

Bushman512000
12-05-2013, 10:09 PM
I would also think springs ..Shackles Yes .. they are a good place to look for wore bushings or a broken leaf or both been there done that.. I went to the heavy duty wet bolt and eq. system made by Dexter ..no more plastic bushings for this Guy ..brass now. Have a real close look I would bet on what I said is the reason for the lean good luck with the fix its not as bad as You would think I spent about $400. to fix mine up right and every thing is heavy duty now..Bushman:D

Bill & Deb
12-07-2013, 07:30 PM
I have a 2007 Springdale 279. I have noticed going down the road the big level shows a lean to the passenger side. When parked I am always in need of the 2X6 under the tires to get to level. Has anyone had to change out the springs and or added a leaf? Is this a common problem? Would be interested to know what others have done. Thanks in advance. Happy Holidays to all.:xmas3:

If it was me I would get underneath and measure the distance from the frame to the top of each axle. This will tell you if the springs have softened.
You can check for broken leafs at the same time.

Bill

theeyres
12-08-2013, 08:08 PM
I found I was always putting boards under one side of our former Springdale to get it level. I was sitting in a level grocery store parking lot and visiting about RVs when this person said, "Is your trailer leaning?" Sure enough, the springs were flattened out on one side. My best guess is that I know I hit a speed bump that I didn't see really hard on that side and that did it. The repair shop said that a big chuck hole, or anything big jolt can do that. New springs were a cheap repair.

trucker LOU
12-08-2013, 09:52 PM
X 2 ---Lou---

lifecamper
12-10-2013, 11:58 AM
Ok now we are getting somewhere. Have done some boon-docking and the previous owner I believe did the same. I'll make the measurements and crawl around under my home. thanx to all for the info.

hankaye
12-10-2013, 12:40 PM
lifecamper, Howdy;

Please let us know what you find...
will be helpful to someone else in the future.

Thanks

hankaye