PDA

View Full Version : 1000 Watt Pure Sine Inverter Install

Jeff_S
12-01-2013, 10:53 AM
I thought I would share the inverter install I recently completed in our 2014 Montana High Country 318RE. The inverter I chose is the KISAE Model SW1210, 1000 Watt pure sine inverter. The unit was purchased from Don Rowe Inverters on-line and was on sale for $199.00.
We don't boondock often but we regularly go to Death Valley in early January and we have to rely on our Honda EU2000i portable generator for power and to re-charge the batteries. I purchased a small 100 W modified sine wave inverter several years ago but I have always been reluctant to use it on expensive electronics/computers. I HAVE used it but I don't like to and our new Montana doesn't have any 12v courtesy outlets at the back wall of the trailer where the TV is located. I mounted the inverter on the rear side of the forward bulkhead between the storage area and the battery compartment. This kept the DC run between batteries and inverter very short and kept the inverter out of the battery compartment for safety and environmental reasons.
I didn't want to clutter the floor of the storage area with the inverter so I fabricated (welded up) a steel platform which hangs from the ceiling of the storage area (see photo 1). The Number 2 welding wire I used to connect to batteries runs through the bulkhead to the inverter (see photo 2). I used some plastic feedthru's that I had on hand but they can be purchased on line or at your local electrical supplier. From the batteries I ran to a 150A ANL fuse kit and then to a Blue Sea Systems 6006 m-Series (Mini) Battery Switch Single Circuit ON/OFF switch (see photo 3).
I purchased the inverter with the KISAE MW1210 remote switch (w/LED) and mounted it in the RV Control Panel area (see photo 4). The remote switch comes with 20 feet of phone cable with a RJ connector on the inverter end (back to photo 1). I snaked the cable across the bulkhead and rearward to the chase that leads up to the Control Panel near the entry door.
I ran the AC output of the inverter to a dedicated duplex outlet on the back wall of the coach just above the counter top and under the TV. I used a shallow "old work" box with a matching dark brown Decora style outlet and cover. This outlet is wired to a "J" box, behind the electric fireplace, with 14 AWG Romex. The wire I used from the inverter to this "J" box is 14 AWG 3-wire SO rubber covered cable. The wire goes from a duplex box I mounted below the inverter, through the floor of the coach, and tie-wrapped to the propane distribution pipe and up the back wall of the unit, to the aforementioned "J" box. Where the SO cable penetrated the floor I wrapped a protective layer of split Tygon hose and used generous amount of silicone sealant both in and out.
So to use the inverter I plug the TV (and satellite receiver if being used) into the dedicated outlet and turn on the inverter from the panel. It's as simple as that.

Festus2
12-01-2013, 11:09 AM
Nicely done, Jeff and thanks for sharing!

WaltBennett
12-02-2013, 05:02 PM
That is a nice job! We've two inverters I've used off and on for some time, but I hadn't really thought about putting one in the basement. Doing that might take care of the one problem I've run into with them - they don't like to work when it's over about 80 to 85 degrees ambient and the basement in ours seems to keep somewhat cool.

Jeff_S
12-03-2013, 09:12 AM
Walt,
One of my concerns about placing the inverter close to the ceiling area in the basement was heat build up. But I finally decided that the pros of this location out weighed the cons...the fact that it's close to the batteries, not in the battery compartment, and didn't tie up floor space. We use the inverter mainly for light loads like tv, satellite receiver, and computers after generator hours are over in the evening. So I don't think heat, in my case, will be a big problem but time will tell. We haven't had our rig long enough for me to know how warm or cool the storage area gets in hot weather. Thanks for the feedback.:)
Jeff