PDA

View Full Version : Toilet Valve Sticks Open

ymmot
11-26-2013, 09:11 AM
I noticed that the water in the toilet of our 2008 Laredo would slowly drain after a flush until lately it would not hold any water at all. Then when flushed it flushed but the valve stayed open-partially at first flush but then more on the next until it was all the way open. I followed the suggestion in the manual and loosened the water valve screws slightly and lubricated the seal with silicone spray. It worked fine for 3 or 4 flushes and held water-but then hung open again. Thanx for any suggestions...

JRTJH
11-26-2013, 10:36 AM
Clean the rubber sealing ring slot that the slide fits into. If that doesn't work, then replace the pedal return spring. That should get you working. If it doesn't, then the next replacement would be the rubber seal. You can replace it without removing the toilet, so don't think it's an "impossible task" :)

therink
11-26-2013, 11:11 AM
I have experienced this numerous times on my potty. I put on a latex glove, reach into toilet and clean the entire circumference of the valve rubber seal with my finger while moving the seal up and down to loosen it up (make it pliable). I then apply an good coat of petroleum jelly the seal with my finger. This usually works for a month or so and then repeat as needed.
Steve

WaltBennett
11-26-2013, 11:23 AM
I noticed on our new/old '10 that the toilet ball valve seems to be designed to not close all the way unless you let go of the foot valve and let it at lease mostly spring up. If I let it up gently, there's a slight gap & the toilet will eventually drain. I've let it go as having it empty while traveling keeps from having surprise splashes.

ymmot
11-26-2013, 02:25 PM
Thanks! That seems to have worked. We're going to northern Georgia next week and we'll see if that is the solution...Thanks Again,

bobbecky
11-26-2013, 08:14 PM
We have found silicone grease, AKA dielectric grease at autoparts stores, applied with the latex glove holds up better than petroleum jelly. And, yes, need to let the pedal spring slam the valve closed.