PDA

View Full Version : break away shorted should I replace?

lifecamper
11-24-2013, 06:33 PM
While moving my hitch the break away wires shorted. I cut the wires and have power from one. I assume the other gets power when plunger is pulled and sends that power to breaks. Question one does switch need to be changed? Question two I heard a sound from breaks, is ther anything that should be done to breaks?

Htfiremedic
11-24-2013, 06:46 PM
We had a short in my MIL's TT. My BIL, idiot, pulled the breakaway cable and hung it on the propane box to lock the wheels. This melted the switch.
I found it a month after he had set the camper up for her. After telling her to let me set it up for her next time, I repaired the damage and replaced the switch.
The brakes will most likely reset after it is changed out and the "short" is eliminated.

Steve Hudson
Sent from my iPhone

cabinfever
11-25-2013, 09:37 AM
Just something else while talking about breakaway switches. I would never check breakaway while plugged into truck. The power can back feed to brake control unit and fry it.

MilitaryRoamer
11-25-2013, 01:59 PM
Question one does switch need to be changed?
I personally would change the switch out. It's the only thing keeping your trailer from speeding past you on the highway in the event of a disconnect from the tow vehicle and umbilical.

That being said, if you covered over the hot wire so it won't short your electrical, your brakes would still function when hooked to the umbilical and tow vehicle. However, the safety feature of the disconnect switch will not.
Question two I heard a sound from breaks, is there anything that should be done to breaks?
What kind of sound did you hear and when? If you heard the sound when you cut the wires on the switch it was most likely the brakes releasing. If you jack the axel and pull a tire or find an alternate way to look at the calipers you can see if they are free or not.