PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Brakes with exposed wiring

buzzcop63
11-24-2013, 12:54 PM
I read some ware from a long time RVers that you should check under your trailer for wiring that could get tangled and torn loose traveling over back roads and also to check wiring to the trailer brakes as often they are exposed too close to the tires and could get rubbed by them braking the connection leaving the trailer without brakes. Have seen also a few lines in this Forum on the subject but thought it should be pointed out again.

The thought of 6,200 Lb of trailer at 55 MPH shoving my truck and the brakes not working on one axel or both got me to take a close look under my trailer. With a fully enclosed undercarriage there were no hanging wires but the brake wires were their hanging out on both axels and very close to the tires. With ties or some other means it is pretty easy to pull them back a few inches and eliminate the possibility of them rubbing the tire and breaking the connection.

poncho62
11-24-2013, 01:29 PM
Good idea...but dont tie them up so tight that they would get torn apart when the suspension flexes up and down

billb800si
11-24-2013, 05:55 PM
Yep, did that before our first trip out this year.
Don't know why the factory doesn't tie them off...
Happy trails,

gepaine
11-24-2013, 07:29 PM
See my post here that describes a similar problem I had:

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/showthread.php?p=14255#post14255

buzzcop63
11-24-2013, 10:15 PM
Thanks for your post, going to do some checking as when I pull my Black Valve it catches on something inside the covering! Better safe then sorry.

rideandslidejim
11-25-2013, 03:12 AM
I just replaced and rewired my whole brake system, was careful about hanging wire, may have left a little too much slack at each wheel, not being sure how much to leave to allow for wheel travel ??

Jim

Jim W
11-25-2013, 05:53 AM
I left my wires the same length and did not tie-wrap them out of the way since that length is needed for suspension travel on the 5er. What I did do was to buy some flexible wire loom protection from NAPA; 3/8 wire size. I than cut several pieces to go over the wires on both axles and tie-wrap the loom in place to the wiring. This way the wires will not rub anything and they are protected against debris; but still can move.

Jim W.