PDA

View Full Version : destinations north of pa

rrohrer
11-22-2013, 09:31 PM
looking to head north next summer. looking at the bar harbor/acadia national park area. but was concerned too cold for swimming? even in august. would consider connecticut if that would be a bit warmer. looking for an area near beach or lake. also looking at presque isle or maybe niagara area. I know that is a lot of different ideas, just wondered what others experiences are. i am traveling with family of four, kids ages 7 and 8.

Jaychis
11-23-2013, 01:27 PM
The water in Maine will be cold no matter what month you decide on. The water temps on the Atlantic are usually in the high 50's that time of year. Lakes will be a little warmer than the ocean. NH and Vermont will have lake water temps a bit better. Usually in the 60's to high 60's. CT on the sound will have water temps in the 60's. If you are concerned about your kids, most kids don't care if the water is a little cold. :) Although the water in Maine is pushing it. If you are going for the beauty, it's hard to beat Acadia. I'm paranoid about the cliff sections of the park with my kids. Several years ago we were witness to someone falling off one of the cliffs. At least the last time we were there, there were no rails on the edges. That's just me though, there are about 2-3 million visitors every year and only about 2 people die per year.

BobnLee
11-24-2013, 06:36 PM
If you are looking for a great spot to try, look at Campobello Island off the coast of Maine. It is actually part of New Brunswick but there is a bridge of about 300 ft from Maine that will take you there. FDR had his cottage there and it is open for tours. One Provincial park, quiet and not much to do. Scenery is breathtaking going through upstate NY through Vermont, New Hampshire and then Maine. Would do it again in a heart beat. The light house is unbelievable. You can walk to it when the tide is out and then go back at night and there is 20ft of water where you were walking in the morning. East Quiddy Lighthouse Not sure of the spelling.

robo
11-25-2013, 05:33 PM
In ny try yogi bear campground in java center ny
http://www.wnyjellystone.com/

robo
11-25-2013, 05:34 PM
Would be about an 1.25-1.5 hours from niagara falls. Also there is a large amusement park .5 hours away

rrohrer
11-26-2013, 10:36 PM
thanks everyone