PDA

View Full Version : Beds

Brantlaker
11-18-2013, 05:42 AM
The DW and I are looking for a new Queen size mattress and need help. I understand that the Tempur-Pedic are hard when cold.That in mind, what are you using as a replacement for the fine quality one that came with our RV. We are not looking for a Topper.
G&G

cjm
11-18-2013, 07:04 AM
We replace our's with this one from Camping world

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/eurotop-innerspring-mattress-short-queen-60-x-74-x-8-/31451

And have been very happy with it. As comfortable as our bed at home, which cost 5 times as much!

JRTJH
11-18-2013, 08:03 AM
We also changed our Springdale "lump" for a Eurotop mattress from CW. When we bought, the mattress was on sale for about $275. It looks like the prices have risen significantly. If you order for delivery at a CW store, there is no shipping charge and there's a discount if you're a Good Sam/CW member.

After sleeping on it for about 200 days in the past 4 years, it's still as comfortable as when we first bought it. We were (are) so impressed with this mattress that when we bought the Cougar, we didn't even think about trying the OEM mattress in it. We just moved our Eurotop from the Springdale to the Cougar. Like the previous poster, we've found that it is as comfortable as our home mattress which was significantly more expensive.

If you're not inclined to buy a mattress "sight unseen" from a mail order RV supply house like CW, you can always go to any big box or furniture/sleep store and buy a mattress from them. Just make sure that you buy the correct size mattress. Measure yours to be sure. Many RV's use the 60x75" RV mattress, but a significant number of models are using the conventional home size 60x80" mattress. Either one can be special ordered at most sleep stores. The only issue I think you'll have with a "big box store mattress" is the weight. You may find that the gas pistons on your bed platform won't support the added weight of a "conventional mattress" Otherwise, as long as you can get it through the door of your RV, you're good to go.

Some have needs for a specialty mattress such as sleep number, etc. As long as you're looking for a good quality conventional mattress, the Eurotop is an excellent choice.

RdRmr
11-18-2013, 09:04 AM
Replaced ours with a Sleep Number a few years ago, works great for us. Have to readjust it at times due to elevation changes, no big deal.
Happy Campin.

SAABDOCTOR
11-18-2013, 10:27 AM
We got a sleep number from camping world. we love it! the pump is quiet when it runs which is not often:cool:

turbopilot51
11-18-2013, 11:05 AM
We got a sleep number from camping world. we love it! the pump is quiet when it runs which is not often:cool:

Another Sleep Number bed advocate! :thumbsup:

Outbackmel
11-18-2013, 05:53 PM
Bought ours from CW 3 months ago. Very good mattress. EZ install and comfortable.

MarkS
11-18-2013, 08:37 PM
We use a Sleep Number at home, which we really like. I am a 65 and DW is a 90. I only say that to show we keep our home SN fairly hard.

We are a bit concerned about putting one in our trailer. We frequently go over 10,000 ft passes. Has anyone had trouble with over inflation?

geo
11-19-2013, 06:55 AM
We use a Sleep Number at home, which we really like. I am a 65 and DW is a 90. I only say that to show we keep our home SN fairly hard.

We are a bit concerned about putting one in our trailer. We frequently go over 10,000 ft passes. Has anyone had trouble with over inflation?

Mark -

In the instructions, Sleep Number recommends deflating the bed when the RV is relocated. It's also been discussed here a while back. When we had a Sleep Number, I deflated it to 20 as part of the "de-camp" routine.

In our present RV, we have a "regular" queen size bed area. We had a Sleep Number that leaked and was very uncomfortable. Called Sleep Number warranty - absolutely no help. I would have to reinflate once or twice a night. Never could find a leak - wasted several weekends looking. We finally got rid of it and got a really nice pillow-top Beautyrest mattress and couldn't be happier.

Ron

Dave & SUe
11-19-2013, 01:12 PM
We didn't like the thin mattress in our 08 Outback.We bought a regular queen size Serta at SAMs.It was tough getting it in,but we'll worth the good sleep in a bed I don't hang off the end of.It's a little tuff to make the bed,but the sleep makes the difference worth it.

ktmracer
11-19-2013, 06:31 PM
Another option is a 'Air Dream" air over coil spring mattress. They are normally sold as a mattress for high end sofa beds. We have one in our sofa bed and it is so comfortable that we also bought one to replace the OEM mattress. Much less expensive than a sleep number mattress. What you likely want is the Queen XL. that is the size that is a few inches longer than the "normal" trailer short queen, but still a few inches shorter than a regular queen.

here is a link

http://www.airdream.net/

Bigsky3625
11-21-2013, 06:53 AM
We had a king in our 5er but it was hard to get around by the closet. So I trimmed the support boards to fit a queen and put in a foam bed from Costco. It comes in a box so it was easy to get in.

We have a memory foam in the house and this is just as comfortable.