PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Problem

dochall
11-15-2013, 08:26 PM
I have 2010 F250 with 6.4L Diesel. When pulling our 36' Laredo 5th wheel up a steep hill and the engine is working hard we hear a very loud whirring noise. It sounds like a jet engine up front. The truck doesn't seem to loose power and once we get to the top and the RPMs come down within 2-3 min. the noise stops and engine appears to work normal again. Doesn't happen any other time and the truck seems to be working fine. Is this normal or is there a problem with the turbos?

Hansel
11-15-2013, 08:44 PM
I don't know much about the 6.4L because I have a 7.3L but what you are describing could be the wastegate closing allowing more boost pressure because of the engine demanding more power or the clutchfan kicking in.

byrdr1
11-16-2013, 02:32 AM
Transmission torque converter kicking in. This gives you max transmission power and helps keep everything cooler. First time mine did that I pulled off the road. Scared the crap out of me. Make sure you are using tow/haul button.

Randy Sent this!!

jay123
11-16-2013, 06:45 AM
check the rubber hoses on the high pressure side of the turbo look for wind marks coming from under the hose. the turbo only under pressure under load so when you have no load you have no noise.

Jay Pat
11-16-2013, 01:50 PM
I have a 2010, 6.4 and have had the same thing happen the first time this past summer. I would let off the throttle a little and it would stop.
Tried to duplicate locally, wouldn't do it. I was thinking I didn't have a steep enough or long enough hill......
Pat

bobbecky
11-16-2013, 03:56 PM
I have driven Fords at work for years, 7.3 without turbo, 7.3 with turbo, 6.4 with two turbos, and now retired and have a Chevy with Duramax and with all of them, under extended load, as climbing long grade, the fan clutch will engage, and the first time it happened, I thought the engine was going to blow up. Never happens going down hill"bouncey: After talking to the mechanic at work, he said it is nothing to worry about, just watch the temp gauge.

LittleJoe
11-16-2013, 05:11 PM
Yes just clutch fan. In normal driving engine never loaded long enough to generate enough heat to need some HD cooling.

Ken / Claudia
11-16-2013, 07:40 PM
Clutch fan. I can here mine over tires/engine/radio when it kicks in and it does pulling hard on big hills.. If a turbo problem there would be a power loss.

davidjsimons
11-17-2013, 03:47 AM
Clutch fan. I can here mine over tires/engine/radio when it kicks in and it does pulling hard on big hills.. If a turbo problem there would be a power loss.

X2

2013 Cougar 28 RBS
2012 Ram 3500 Dually
6.7 Cummins H.O.
4.10 rears.

BeaverRZR
11-17-2013, 11:18 AM
Its the fan. Mine does it too. I have a programmer so i can watch the temps and everytime that noise kicks in the temps start to drop. i only hear it on long pulls with the 5th wheel

gearhead
11-19-2013, 05:32 PM
Our maiden voyage back in 1988 in a new class C motorhome I thought the transmission was failing. Middle of the summer, Houston heat and traffic on I-10. Every overpass the Ford 460 that was next to my knees would roar. Got to the campground and saw another MH just like ours. Asked them what it was. Clutch fan.
Oh, uh, yeah, I guess so! Thanks. So, where y'all from?