PDA

View Full Version : Roof Condition ?????

rideandslidejim
11-12-2013, 01:55 AM
Hello All

Being a newbie to RVing, looking for opinions on the condition of the roof on the 2000 Sringdale we just got. Whats the best way to clean it and does it need recoating. I don't see any open cracks or hole or any stains in the interior ceiling.

Many Thanks Jim :thewave:

Lost
11-12-2013, 03:00 AM
From the pictures, the roof looks like it was well taken care of. I do see some dark spots which shows wearing. That being said your trailer is 13+ years old. At that age to prevent any roof issues I would rubber coat it. To due a good cleaning I use TSP with a stiff brush but there are alot of roof cleaning products on the market. If you do use TSP make sure you immediately wash down your trailer as it will remove the wax on your sides.

Festus2
11-12-2013, 08:14 AM
Those dark spots could also be mold which has "found a home" on your roof. These spots or discolouration are very hard to remove but are not harmful to the roof. You might try scrubbing with a solution of warm water and borax or use a commercial EPDM roof cleaning product found in RV supply stores. Just be careful not to use products which contain petroleum distillates as these are not compatible with the EPDM rubber.

If you are not sure when the roof has last been recaulked, I would thoroughly clean all the old sealant and reapply some self-leveling caulking like Dicor.

outwest
11-12-2013, 01:33 PM
Like others have said, you can use a variety of cleansers. Just dont use abrasive cleansers like comet and never ever anything with petroleum distillates or citric based cleansers (AKA delaminane). I use B.E.S.T. Rubber Roof cleaner (buy mine on Amazon) because it claims to add UV protection. http://epabest.com/products/rubber-roof-cleaner-a-protectant.html

Just in case you don't know, you can buy a brush on a stick (AKA deck scrubber) at Lowes and other hardware stores. Much easier to clean that roof standing up instead of on hands and knees ;)

Careful - those rubber roofs get very slippery when wet.

Like Festus said, if you dont know that it's been recaulked recently, I'd carefully scrape the old off and reseal with Dicor. At the very least carefully and thoroughly inspect all caulking. It's a pain to re-caulk but more than worth it.

rideandslidejim
11-12-2013, 03:33 PM
Thanks All

Will definitely be cleaning it and considering recoating, but rite now we are dumping so much money getting it road worthy ( brakes, bearing and tires ).

I'm around 260, should i being going up on the roof to clean it ???

Jim

Festus2
11-12-2013, 04:12 PM
I'm around 260, should i being going up on the roof to clean it ???

Jim

Jim -
I see that you have posted this same question in a new and different thread in this same section.

I would suggest that members who want to reply, should find this new post and answer there otherwise we end up with having answers to the identical question spread out over two threads. Thanks.....