PDA

View Full Version : Reworked Pantry Shelves

Poppy's 5th Wheel
11-08-2013, 06:34 AM
I don't know if the issue was the "rear kitchen bounce factor" or the abysmal shelving material Keystone used in my Cougar High Country but half way through our recent 4,500 miles trip my wife noticed the shelves in our pantry were breaking and caving in! A quick look revealed they were made of very thin luaun. We unloaded the shelves for the rest of the trip and I rebuilt them when we returned. I basically added a 1/4 sheet of true plywood which is screwed down along the edges into the original shelf supports. My wife covered the plywood with wood grain contact paper (it didn't come out as nice as I would have liked but don't tell her) and then we added some sliding wire baskets units we picked up at Lowes. Hopefully the heavier shelving and the baskets will prevent reoccurrence.

Poppy's 5th Wheel
11-08-2013, 06:38 AM
BTW, the support for the drawer and the trash can drawer beneath the pantry was a joke in construction as well. There was a frame at the back that "floated" with no attachment at the top or sides. Sloppily constructed with screws that didn't even hit their destination resulting in the unit wobbling every time we opened them. I took the opportunity to add support there too so now they are secure. I've added some pictures that hopefully show how the frame never had any attachment at the top or the sides making it wobble around. I was able to add a shim at the top which I screwed to the new plywood shelf above and some shims at the sides.

Bob Landry
11-09-2013, 07:44 AM
I ran into the same thing with my Outback(not 5th wheel). The drawer rails were attached to the rear support using 1/8" luan scraps and staples. The twisting of the drawers under way cause everything to pull loose and when we got home, some of the drawers were half open. My first "project" on the trailer was to rebuild the drawer slides and add support to the rear support to stop the twisting. Keystone had only use one screw in the middle of the support, so I'm at a loss how their engineers would think that would hold up. I suppose this was another case where cheap trumped right. Since then, my reconstruction requirements have been nil except for some door hinge screws pulling out. Maybe you'll be that lucky.

brunocougar
11-09-2013, 07:58 AM
We had to do the same thing to are Cougar High Country added plywood shelves . The factory ones kept falling down there were cut to small and to thin to handle the weight .

kandd
11-09-2013, 08:05 AM
Looks good Poppy. I think I will do the same on my Terrain before it breaks. Outside kitchen cabinet bottoms are very weak.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using Tapatalk 2

Poppy's 5th Wheel
11-09-2013, 08:19 AM
I wish I had seen signs of impending failure before they broke apart because, even though the shelves look nice and are solid from above, if you look at the underside of the selves they look like crap because the luaun is all busted up.

Oh well, they are functional now.

My close friend has a new Montana High Country and I checked his shelves and they are just as wimpy. Trying to talk him into being proactive but he thinks he will be fine. We'll see.

outwest
11-09-2013, 08:30 AM
dealer got Vantage from claimed those thin luaun shelves would safely hold up to 50lbs. It was all I could do to keep from laughing at him.

Poppy's 5th Wheel
11-09-2013, 08:44 AM
dealer got Vantage from claimed those thin luaun shelves would safely hold up to 50lbs. It was all I could do to keep from laughing at him.

Typical BS. I think in our case it was magnified by the fact they are at the very back of the trailer and the objects probably bounced around quite a bit. Nothing was ever broken or tossed around but I can imagine that contributed to their failure.

Another issue I have is the cheesy plastic latches for the mirrored sliding doors. Both of those broke off shortly after we bought the trailer. I need to replace them and I hope there is a better alternative than the style Keystone uses.

outwest
11-09-2013, 09:28 AM
Typical BS. I think in our case it was magnified by the fact they are at the very back of the trailer and the objects probably bounced around quite a bit. Nothing was ever broken or tossed around but I can imagine that contributed to their failure.

Another issue I have is the cheesy plastic latches for the mirrored sliding doors. Both of those broke off shortly after we bought the trailer. I need to replace them and I hope there is a better alternative than the style Keystone uses.

dunno how your sliding doors are framed. On the Vantage they use some metal fasteners on the outer edges. I cant take a pic cause ours is in the shop for some work but here's a pic I found on web http://www.campersrvcenter.com/console/watermark.php?src=6012&width=590&height=330 Open Range uses plastic latches because not a lot of frame around their mirror closet doors, but I remember it as being a pretty heavy material. Perhaps visit an Open Range dealer and check out what they have and how it compares? Might end up being same as Keystone's but... edit to add: replacements I'm finding on net look the same as what Open Range used to have, so probably the same.

Poppy's 5th Wheel
11-09-2013, 10:52 AM
Here's mine. The latches catch a ridge on the door frame. The plastic piece in my hand is what has broken off both sides and is used to open the latch and release the door. The are molded on with the smallest amount of plastic imaginable. I can't imagine everyone else who has this type of latch hasn't busted theirs off too.

outwest
11-09-2013, 11:46 AM
Here's mine. The latches catch a ridge on the door frame. The plastic piece in my hand is what has broken off both sides and is used to open the latch and release the door. The are molded on with the smallest amount of plastic imaginable. I can't imagine everyone else who has this type of latch hasn't busted theirs off too.

Same as our Open Range had. Made by SEA. http://tweetys.com/mirrored-door-latches.aspx or around $20 if you buy direct from SEA. Sorry yours broke :(

Poppy's 5th Wheel
11-09-2013, 12:15 PM
I'm thinking the direct replacements will do the same thing! I'm looking at these. They look like they will last longer.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/universal-sliding-mirrored-door-latch/49690

brunocougar
11-09-2013, 02:45 PM
Watch the edges on them There sharp and will cut you open . Been there and felt it had to replace ours !

I'm thinking the direct replacements will do the same thing! I'm looking at these. They look like they will last longer.

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/universal-sliding-mirrored-door-latch/49690