PDA

View Full Version : using cut off switch on positive lead

Yosemitebob
11-07-2013, 06:43 PM
I have two batteries each 6 volt for an output of 12 volt. I want to put a cut off switch just after the battery, as the one provided does not shut off everything. So my idea is to add another just after the battery. My question is will it effect the two batteries in any detrimental way by doing this? I'm still leaving the ground hooked up and the jumper from that battery (positive terminal to negative terminal) to the 2nd battery and opening the circuit between that positive terminal on the second battery and the fuse.

Festus2
11-07-2013, 07:29 PM
The cutoff switch can be placed on the + side as you illustrated in your diagram OR it can also be placed on the - side. A case can be made for placing it on either side as there are advantages and disadvantages for doing it each way but that is best left to another thread/discussion.

In any case, you will be fine placing the switch as per your diagram without doing any harm to either battery.

Yosemitebob
11-07-2013, 07:42 PM
thank you, I just needed to hear that from another.

SAABDOCTOR
11-08-2013, 07:58 AM
ok i'll second that statement from john. the + side is good.

Yosemitebob
11-09-2013, 08:22 PM
Just thought about the brake-a-way switch, but I think I'm good to leave it as is. I can't forget to turn the switch on as I can't lift the trailer (front landing gears) without it on. That will remind me to have it on. Of course it needs to be on while traveling for charging to happen.

Bob Landry
11-10-2013, 05:12 AM
Simply leave those two functions attached directly to the battery. You want those to work regardless of the switch position.

Yosemitebob
11-10-2013, 06:44 AM
Simply leave those two functions attached directly to the battery. You want those to work regardless of the switch position.

It actually is not attached directly to the battery now (came that way) it is attached after the fuse. I assume that is a standard practice with Keystone.

Bob Landry
11-10-2013, 06:53 AM
It really doesn't matter where the battery cutoff is in relation to the battery location. Wherever it is the most convenient to get to is best. The fuse should be a close to the battery as possible as it's purpose is to protect the wire between the battery and the converter, where as the battery offers no protection, it's only an on/off switch.

Yosemitebob
11-10-2013, 11:58 AM
Finished project. Had to use their (keystone) battery cable as it had a smaller ring for a smaller stud at the fuse, so added a block as you can see to run it there and then added mine to the cut off switch. There is a fiber washer behind the stud and it is insulated against the bracket so no accidental grounding. The cut off switch is now the weakest point :)