PDA

View Full Version : Unlike snowbirds I'm headed north

Yosemitebob
11-05-2013, 06:44 PM
OK, so I'm going to be in Washington three weeks in December, in one place. Given that temps in the early morning are already in the teens, should I leave a heater on all the time to keep the pipes from freezing? I figure I will have to disconnect the outside water hose except when I need water and I should use it from the tank. Any other suggestions would be appreciated, I usually don't go to the freezing north that time of year. :)

Festus2
11-05-2013, 06:55 PM
YosemiteBob -

Ahhhh - a lost snowbird. I'm sure the folks from WA will chime in with more accurate info but it all depends where in WA you are headed. If you going to the Pacific North west or other coastal areas -- Seattle, for example - then the weather there could be cool and wet. You might run into some below freezing temps or you might not. Count on rain.

If, however, you are headed inland, you will definitely see temps below freezing and you should take the necessary precautions against freeze up.

Like anywhere else, you can always count on some weird or unusual weather happenings at any time of year. Check ahead for road and weather conditions. Snow could be problem with some of the mountain passes.

Woodsrider
11-05-2013, 06:58 PM
Where in Washington? On the west side it's still pretty mild. I have only had frost once so far at my location, but surrounding areas have a couple of light frosts.

Yosemitebob
11-05-2013, 07:16 PM
My daughter lives in Pasco (the very southeast corner), she said it was thirty early this last morning, and expects it to be in the teens in December. Can you give me some ideas for maintaining the trailer in that weather?

Woodsrider
11-06-2013, 06:05 PM
I grew up in Walla Walla:D
I know where Pasco is and I can believe it being colder over there.
I've never owned an RV on that side of the mountains so I cant be of much help. I suppose if you're planning to occupy the trailer while your here and not store it, just keep the heater at a comfortable temp and skirt it with some plywood.

You can always wrap the water hose in heat tape if you wanted to stay hooked up to city water. For that matter you could add some heat tape to your tanks as well.

Yosemitebob
01-07-2014, 09:50 PM
I just returned a couple of days ago. Had a terrific time, we had good weather going over the passes, low 40's, and good weather coming back, worse temp Grants Pass 37. Of course in between we had freezing fog (absolutely beautiful), snow, and more freezing fog with temps in mid 20's to low 20's during the night, a couple of 18 degree nights. We where warm, and no freeze ups. I was prepared and ready :). Thanks again for all the good advice.